Heated Blankets?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any tips on choosing heated blankets that are safe for pets? Is there a particular one you'd recommend?

This is my (and the cats') first "real" winter, with snow and possibly subzero temperatures. I try to keep our apartment warm, but it gets very drafty, especially at night. Even with layers of blankets, I know the cats get cold. I'd love to find them something warm and possibly fluffy. Any advice?

Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats are very fond of my heated blanket, lol. And I have some heated throws too. I don't feel safe leaving them on unattended, but for nighttime when you're home, they're nice.

You can also get some non-heated throws and put them in their favorite sleeping places. They may or may not do much for heat but they sure are cozy.

Heated blankets aren't strictly necessary though. Cats have fur and generally do better than we do :D.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats are very fond of my heated blanket, lol. And I have some heated throws too. I don't feel safe leaving them on unattended, but for nighttime when you're home, they're nice.

You can also get some non-heated throws and put them in their favorite sleeping places. They may or may not do much for heat but they sure are cozy.

Heated blankets aren't strictly necessary though. Cats have fur and generally do better than we do :D.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might leave the bed covers loosely tucked in so the cats can crawl under them. Non-electrical covers - say a couple of blankets and one or two comforts (duvet? two layers of cloth stuffed with bunting) -- make a nice warm spot for one kitty more so for two.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Self heating blankets / mats will work if you worry about a cat chewing on an electrical cord. These work the same way as an emergency blanket: foil lining to reflect heat back.

You can also look into microwavable heating pads like the SnuggleSafe. It's best to cover the heated pad with a folded blanket or towel to prevent burns. And always follow the heating instructions to avoid overheating the pad.

A large box with a blanket draped over it and blankets / heating pad inside will work as a little cave and trap heat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One great option are self heating pads. It has a soft fuzzy outer cover but inside is some material that reflects the cats own body heat, making the pad nice and warm. This way you don’t need to leave an electric item on. You can also purchase heated cat pads that only go on when the cat lies on it.

You can also set up beds for them next to your home heat source like heat vents.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a few beds from K&H and they are very loved! I don't like leaving things plugged in when I'm not around though. We have one self-heating mat but it's not been a hit. One of my girls will burrow in the big comforter I keep on our couch. She does this more in the early fall. After that she seems to adjust and doesn't do that as much. My other cat likes the small fleece blankets Walmart has for just a few dollars. I have it on the back of the couch but I don't smooth it out too much so she can settle in there.

I have been thinking about making rice socks for the girls. My kids made some for DH and I last year as Christmas gifts from nice long socks. They feel good on sore muscles so I think my girls would appreciate them too.