Heartworms In A Cat, Bj As His Story Begins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat Very helpful info for everyone! Thank you for posting that. Ticks! Ugh! We mostly deal with mosquitos and fleas here but once in a while find a tick. I’m not a fan of any of those guys. I use preventative for all but they still show up at times. That Victor light is a good thing to have to display what critters are showing up as well as trapping them. One look and I know what’s been lurking. They are great for kitties that can’t tolerate some of the treatments too. I have one in almost every room. They make great nightlights too. Lol
DE is something I used a lot in the plant business. Good stuff!
Thanks again for the tips! Tell Honeybee we say hello!! Sending purrs!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. Somehow I missed these alerts. BJ frowned about that!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 He and Froggie Prince as well as the others are all well and getting ready for the cold. We have a freeze coming tonight but everyone should be warm. If they aren’t , I won’t be either. We share blankets. Lol well, I don’t share one with Froggie but he has a nice house just outside the door and it’s well insulated. He did visit during the rain today. Getting his winter coat on. ;)

neely neely BJ would love being a Romeo for TCS. Oh boy! More ladies!

Just so everyone knows, I don’t play with toys like a kitten.
8128C90C-4819-498C-B205-F5F01B42E353.jpeg

I use them according to my, more dignified position......
66B006BD-C2C6-4C29-B330-EB49417B68D9.jpeg

As hats.
551D9DA3-3929-4A27-B863-F4AFC6B4AC50.jpeg

Did I hear you mention TCS girls?
D8F9A939-108C-4FB3-BDA6-D18D1095112E.jpeg

A proper gentleman should introduce himself.
ACCA8458-D86F-40AB-97A5-A370BC1BD570.jpeg

If you know any ladies, I’m waiting to hug them at the door!
57D8499E-5C5C-445B-B59E-2FC06F17B17A.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. Somehow I missed these alerts. BJ frowned about that!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 He and Froggie Prince as well as the others are all well and getting ready for the cold. We have a freeze coming tonight but everyone should be warm. If they aren’t , I won’t be either. We share blankets. Lol well, I don’t share one with Froggie but he has a nice house just outside the door and it’s well insulated. He did visit during the rain today. Getting his winter coat on. ;)

neely neely BJ would love being a Romeo for TCS. Oh boy! More ladies!

Just so everyone knows, I don’t play with toys like a kitten. View attachment 307581
I use them according to my, more dignified position......
View attachment 307582
As hats.
View attachment 307583
Did I hear you mention TCS girls?
View attachment 307578
A proper gentleman should introduce himself.
View attachment 307579
If you know any ladies, I’m waiting to hug them at the door!
View attachment 307580
BJ is absolutely THE epitome of a feline RoMEOW! So adorable. *And I'm pretty sure you all were warm last night. There is no more comforting warmth than that of being in a catpile.* ;) :redheartpump::hearthrob::cutecat::kneading::zzzcat::lovecat3:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FRUM HEKITTY:

DERE BJ

STSF (single tortie spayed female) seeks STNM (single (sorta) tabby neutered male) for companionship.

View attachment 307972

SIGH...I tried to get her to post a really pretty head shot, but she wanted "sexee."
*Hey, how could any self-respecting red-blooded male cat PAWSibly resist?*:hearthrob::dancingblackcat::hearthrob:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

JaneLuvsCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!
I just thought that since I recently took on a kitty that had lived outside, it might be helpful to others to follow his story.
I’ve found that many people don’t realize cats can get heartworms in the same way that dogs get them, through a mosquito bite. It only takes one. Kitties that live outside are at risk. Cats tend to get them less frequently than dogs but there is no cure for them if this happens. There are preventive medicines that you can give an outside cat. They should be given the prevetative. Also remember that an open widow with a hole in the screen can allow mosquitos inside.
BJ was a cat that was rescued. He probably spent most of his life outside before coming to me. He was not neutered. Since coming into my home, he has been neutered and started on his immunization regimen. I just got the results on his blood work. As a very active male he contracted FIV. That is something that could still give him a normal life span if properly cared for. Today I got the rest of his results. He has heartworms. At this point the only treatment I have found for this if he develops issues is steroids for inflammation or oxygen therapy if he has trouble breathing.
It is my understanding that the worms don’t survive well in the system of a cat. The cats systems fights them off but If they do reach the heart and die or survive, the cat can develop reactions to that. The lungs, organs and respiratory system can be affected as the dead worms break apart and block arteries or cause inflammation. Symptoms of the illness can vary from coughing, diarrhea, litter box issues, panting, asthma like symptoms, fainting and even sudden death.
I encourage everyone to use preventative, keep cats indoors if possible and TNR any cats at risk. For me the R stands for re home whenever possible. Neutering and spaying will mean less kitties at risk for disease of any kind. Re homing gets them out of the mosquitos.
BJ is an extraordinary cat. Of the many rescues I have been involved with, he stood out in the crowd. He was the defender of the colony and had acted as watchdog for me. He adjusted to being indoors and the other cats very well. He’s a true lover. Right now he is not showing symptoms of the heartworms. I’ll be following him closely and will post any changes I note in his condition. For now, I’ll make sure he gets nutritional food, is kept warm in Winter and cool in Summer, and gets all the love and attention he desires. He’ll be getting vegular vet checks and will be a strictly indoor kitty.
Any area that has mosquitos can be a risk so please be aware and if you plan of traveling with your cat, make sure that if the area is a risk , you give your cat preventatives!

I’d like you all to meet my sweet boy, BJ.
He is a very large cat and he lived near a wetland area.
View attachment 272962
He was intimidating at first but...
View attachment 272963
Is really just a big teddy bear.
View attachment 272964
It became obvious that he desired affection, even if it came from a tree! Lol
View attachment 272965
He soon indicated a desire for belly rubs.
View attachment 272966
Once inside he learned to love head scratches and
View attachment 272967
He loves his Mom as much as she loves him.
View attachment 272968
Are those pictures of BJ in the wetland, swampy area?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely Funny you should mention that. I posted a song last night that Kermit was singing.,lol I do think they are related. I’ve heard the frogs around singing too.

Here is a link to it in case you care to listen. Post #2436 There are lots of lovely songs being posted there. Thread Devoted To Sharing Your Favorite Albums And Songs - 2019

J JaneLuvsCats Those outside photos of BJ are in the swamp or at the edge or the area. I don’t know how he survived so well in there. It is a tough place to be but it is beautiful as well. He is much happier now though. He doesn’t like it when I go outside and he won’t even set foot out the door. He was very nervous out there so seeing the change in him fills my heart with joy.