Heartworms In A Cat, Bj As His Story Begins.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone!
I just thought that since I recently took on a kitty that had lived outside, it might be helpful to others to follow his story.
I’ve found that many people don’t realize cats can get heartworms in the same way that dogs get them, through a mosquito bite. It only takes one. Kitties that live outside are at risk. Cats tend to get them less frequently than dogs but there is no cure for them if this happens. There are preventive medicines that you can give an outside cat. They should be given the prevetative. Also remember that an open widow with a hole in the screen can allow mosquitos inside.
BJ was a cat that was rescued. He probably spent most of his life outside before coming to me. He was not neutered. Since coming into my home, he has been neutered and started on his immunization regimen. I just got the results on his blood work. As a very active male he contracted FIV. That is something that could still give him a normal life span if properly cared for. Today I got the rest of his results. He has heartworms. At this point the only treatment I have found for this if he develops issues is steroids for inflammation or oxygen therapy if he has trouble breathing.
It is my understanding that the worms don’t survive well in the system of a cat. The cats systems fights them off but If they do reach the heart and die or survive, the cat can develop reactions to that. The lungs, organs and respiratory system can be affected as the dead worms break apart and block arteries or cause inflammation. Symptoms of the illness can vary from coughing, diarrhea, litter box issues, panting, asthma like symptoms, fainting and even sudden death.
I encourage everyone to use preventative, keep cats indoors if possible and TNR any cats at risk. For me the R stands for re home whenever possible. Neutering and spaying will mean less kitties at risk for disease of any kind. Re homing gets them out of the mosquitos.
BJ is an extraordinary cat. Of the many rescues I have been involved with, he stood out in the crowd. He was the defender of the colony and had acted as watchdog for me. He adjusted to being indoors and the other cats very well. He’s a true lover. Right now he is not showing symptoms of the heartworms. I’ll be following him closely and will post any changes I note in his condition. For now, I’ll make sure he gets nutritional food, is kept warm in Winter and cool in Summer, and gets all the love and attention he desires. He’ll be getting vegular vet checks and will be a strictly indoor kitty.
Any area that has mosquitos can be a risk so please be aware and if you plan of traveling with your cat, make sure that if the area is a risk , you give your cat preventatives!

I’d like you all to meet my sweet boy, BJ.
He is a very large cat and he lived near a wetland area.
C59F7CDF-BAB0-4E95-B4D9-B1377B25AE06.jpeg

He was intimidating at first but...
6DD356C8-F07F-42AA-95FE-15C6E57E0932.jpeg

Is really just a big teddy bear.
CC370FF8-32CF-4C83-853E-861B12A3E1E3.jpeg

It became obvious that he desired affection, even if it came from a tree! Lol
B9D5EFC1-9D15-431A-9D53-FCAA35E7C410.jpeg

He soon indicated a desire for belly rubs.
B67FC296-D826-4AB5-84D5-C1FA22A3E38A.jpeg

Once inside he learned to love head scratches and
6E4C16E5-6FBF-4D98-B822-C716B599EB84.jpeg

He loves his Mom as much as she loves him.
A37C9A81-C234-479E-92CC-76ECE8880377.jpeg

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, he looks like he has such a personality!! what a special boy. :) He looks like a real love bug.

Good for you for taking him in and looking after him and sharing your experience about heartworms. Sometimes I forget about heartworms, its a good reminder.

I hope he continues to thrive and do well under your generous, loving care! What a lucky kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you abyeb abyeb He is a tough kitty. I call him my Warrior cat. A defender of all.

I welcome all others to post about any experiences that have had in relation to heartworms in cats.

All information provided will help to educate and share knowledge with others.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sidneykitty sidneykitty Thank you. He has a huge heart so maybe that will carry him
through. His spirit is bright and loving.

I hope this will be a reminder to everyone. Most of us are used to hearing about heartworms in dogs but few realize that it effects cats too. I’m going to hold out on hope for him to get through it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama CL56 CL56 Furballsmom Furballsmom
Thank you to all of you for supporting BJ. As I have written about him you probably know his beginnings were rough. He spent his time defending an entire colony of cats and kittens against animal predators and human ones. To me, he is a hero cat. He exhibited such brave behaviour and even though he went through so many terrible events he was willing to give me a chance to enter his world. I’ll never forget how he managed to trick the annoying buzzards into the cat trap. That taught them to stop stealing the cat food! They never did return!:flail:Of course for me, the trick was getting hissing buzzards out of the trap. My brilliant BJ never did get caught. He ate from traps (without tripping them) but when he entered my life, it was all his idea. He remained on guard until the very last member of his colony was safe before accepting help. I’ve known many amazing kitties but BJ is unique. I am so glad that I can offer him comfort now. It’s his turn to relax and be protected.
He ate well today. He did have an embarassing round of gas. He claimed it wasn’t him.
0579793B-AB30-400C-8815-4FE0CC963824.jpeg

I gave him some nice tummy rubs until he was comfortable again.
2F6FCDFC-79F5-4333-8C8E-D61B899362C1.jpeg

After that, things were looking up.
DF297DEE-5BEB-4C75-9A86-60FB037BCB81.jpeg

The patch of fur that is missing on his neck should grow back soon. It was shaved in order to draw blood samples.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for informational purposes, Advantage muli and Revolution , which is applied behind the cats neck and usually associated with flea or tick prevention, also is a preventstive against heartworms. I know that applying this to feral cats may not be possible but there may be other forms of it that I am not aware of. Anyone with info, please provide it for others.