Heartworm med for new cat?

Do you give your cat preventative heartworm medication?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I live in an area where mosquitos aren’t an issue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chelz910

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I’m a very happy new cat mom! I got my 3 year old tortie from the animal shelter I volunteer at about a month and a half ago. She is still building trust with me. I received her underweight and have worked through most of her bad food aggression. I’m hoping to harness and leash train her soon so we can go outside if she so chooses... but I’m concerned about heartworms. I live in Georgia and I’ve seen many dogs come down with heartworms at the shelter. Problem is, in the US I have to take her to a vet to get a rx. My kitty is scared of her carrier and although I’ve been carrier training her, when I walk out the door of my apartment she starts freaking out. Last time she broke her claw and got very loud. She has a clean bill of health from the vet at the shelter and is up to date on all vaccines. But to go through the trauma for a vet visit for a heartworm medication? It just seems like it will do more harm than good at this point and will ruin all the trust I have built up with her. (This has seriously taken some patience and work.) I’m reading that heartworms in cats aren’t much of a concern as they are for dogs. I really wish I could buy this medicine without an prescription. Of course, if she had a real health concern I would take her to the vet regardless of her trust level with me. But just for a rx? Any thoughts? Does anyone know of anyway possible to get heartworm med between now and when I take her for her annual next year? I even wasted $10 on that Telemedicine Fluffy vet service and they told me a physical examination is required by law.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chelz910

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will add that the vet from the shelter said she was healthy aside from the underweight issue which has been resolved since I’ve received her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitty! And she's a tortie and I love torties. I live in Texas and don't give my kitties heartworm meds. I also don't apply monthly flea treatments because 3/4 of my crew have chronic medical conditions. As long as she stays indoors and has limited exposure to mosquitoes, then you'll be okay.

Chelz910

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will add that the vet from the shelter said she was healthy aside from the underweight issue which has been resolved since I’ve received her.
Thank you stephanietx
Only problem is I do plan on at least attempting to take her outside on the leash soon :/
I’ll have to get heartworm med unfortunately. Just trying to find a workaround to avoid an entire unnecessary vet visit.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a fan of cats outside on leashes. Keep them inside and provide an engaging environment.

Chelz910

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not a fan of cats outside on leashes. Keep them inside and provide an engaging environment.
stephanietx, out of curiousity, why are you opposed to it?