Heartworm in Cats

Sofiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had cats all my life and never have ever treated one of them or even heard of treating them for heartworm!! This time last year my 14-year-old Tuxedo cat passed from Small Cell Sarcoma. In October, I decided to put in an application for a kitten at the shelter. I now have an almost 5-month-old kitten and the vet advised me to give her medicine for heartworm!! Just wondering how many cat parents on here are treating their cats/kittens for heartworm?

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little read for you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Although I realize that I have only had 3 cats over the course of my lifetime, heartworms has never been presented to me as an issue, nor has it become one - they have all been indoor cats (with access to a screened in patio) if that matters any. I would like to offer an article from the American Heartworm Society, as another resource of information for you should it be of any additional help in deciding how you might move forward.
Heartworm in Cats - American Heartworm Society

Last edited:

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
During summertime I do. Every 3 weeks or so. Heartworms can only be prevented, it can be transmitted by mosquitoes and while cats naturally are more resistant to it, it's a gamble whether a particular cat will be fine on it's own. When the natural resistance doesn't work, unfortunately it's fatal, and most of the time not even diagnosed until it's too late ( or even after passing ). I found out about heartworms last year and am scared to this day.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution Plus each month that prevents hearworms as well as other types of worms plus fleas and ticks.

Kurisunium

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of the time not even diagnosed until it's too late and I found out about heartworms last year and am scared to this day.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are on monthly preventative for heartworms. While my three are indoor only, mosquitoes have easily made it inside my house. Since there is no treatment for heartworms in cats - I choose to use a monthly preventative.

I also live in the south, in a working class neighborhood with many outdoor dogs and feel my cats’ risk is higher than in other areas. There have been studies showing that in a typical area 5-10% mosquitoes commonly carrier heartworm larvae but in areas with a single infected heartworm dog, the population of mosquitoes infected rises to 70-90% with larvae.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! My Bj is an older feral rescue. When I got him to a vet he had heart worms. It was scary. He is now testing as free from them. I do give these cats prevention even though they are all indoor cats now. Indoor cats get them too.
Did your kitty test positive or is the vet just suggesting preventative treatment? Most flea and parasite preventatives now include heartworm meds too. Not all do though. Heart worms in a cat does happen.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heartworm is not a part of standard veterinary care in Turkey. I asked the vet myself of her take on the issue since minish is indoor-outdoor. She told me that no cases have been heard in our region for a decade. So we decided not to do any prevention.