Heartbroken Family

Dollhia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat has a beautiful litter of five baby kittens on the 18th. But yesterday we noticed Momma giving one kitten a serious tongue bath. When my daughter checked we discovered it was very limp. Quick action of massage and rubbings as did nothing other than wake Red for a second or two. I could tell the breathing was that of the end. Within five minutes the kitten was gone. We even were throwing shoes on for the vet, but I sadly knew we wouldn’t make it. Our beautiful little Red made it 11 days and brought many smiles. There are still four to the litter but this one had a special something that has broken our hearts. We buried her on the edge of the garden. Has anyone lost a kitten from their litter? Any words to my kiddos of kindness would be sweet.
EF4C12C1-8FAE-4E73-9C6F-E37AE1C60F31.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. Please try to take some consolation from the fact that these kittens were born in a safe place and loved from the beginning. If Red only had 11 days, it was 11 days of care and comfort. It is very hard to lose a kitten, but there may have been something medically that you would not have been able to help. I work only with ferals, and have had litters where one kitten did not survive, so I understand the sadness and disappointment that you are feeling.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, but there are aspects of this that might help;

I will lend to you a kitten, God said,
for you to love while it lives, and mourn when it's dead.
Maybe for 12 or 14 years, or maybe 2 or 3,
but will you, 'till I call them back, take care of them for me?
They'll bring their charms to gladden you, and should their stay be brief,
you'll always have their memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise they will stay for all from Earth return,
but there are lessons taught below I want this kitten to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in search of teachers true,
and from the folk's that crowd life's land I have chosen you.
Now will you give it all your love, nor think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take my kitten home again?
My heart replied, "My Lord, Thy Will Be Done",
for all the joys this kitten brings the risk of grief I'll run.
We'll shelter it with tenderness, we'll love it while we may,
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.
But should you call it back much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.
If by our love we've managed your wishes to achieve,
Then in memory of it whom we loved, please help us while we grieve.
When our cherished kitten departs this world of strife,
Please send yet another needing soul for us to love all it's life.

Author Unknown

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sweet, adorable baby. It doesn't matter how much time we get with them. It's never enough. They capture our hearts and leave their little pawprints on them from the first second they are with us. Those pawprints will be there forever. Baby Red was born into a home where she was loved, wanted and cared for. She made it to the bridge in the blink of an eye and she will be there waiting for her beloved family to join her when the time is right. We send hugs to all of you. RIP Red. You will always be loved and never forgotten. :hugs: :rbheart:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Red isnt gone. She is in your hearts and memories.

And I bet if you look closely at the other 4 kittens, you will see glimpses of her.

She taught your kids the value of love and and how precious life is. Those lessons will make their relationships with Reds siblings even more special.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, little Red, dream you deep. Your tiny pawprints are now on more hearts than ever you dreamed existed, and your short iife had more meaning than you can ever know. Your family mourns you, and we mourn with them.

I am so, so sorry. Most of us here have had something like this happen at some point in our lives. And we all ask, "WHY?" And we grieve that tiny life, gone too soon. Much too soon. But this I know...Red was born loved and wanted. Red lived, breathed, and had her tiny being wrapped in love from her mama, and from her human family. Whatever it was that went wrong, probably well before she was born, she came into and left this world beloved.

Little ones, this is a hard thing, to lose a baby that you loved. It is SO hard. But you loved her, and she loved you. One of the most important things in life is to be willing to love, knowing that you might lose that love...but the joy of having, even for a moment, is greater than the pain of losing. Each living creature (even plants) arises from the earth, has its time in the sun, then sinks into the earth again. And although we may never understand why sometimes that time is so short, we may rest assured that some part of us goes on, forever. You will see her again, someday. And she will know you and love you still.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so heartbreaking when we lose such an innocent little one, it does happen, more often than you know. It most likely is genetic, a hidden birth defect of some kind. it doesn't help with the pain, though I hope you can take some comfort knowing that precious little one knew nothing but love and comfort for 11 days, she is at peace because she holds your love in her soul. She will always hold a special place in your heart and to be remembered and mourned after death is a great honor. Spread her love amongst the others so it can grow even bigger, mean even more.
These things happen, though no one ever knows why, I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.......RIP sweet Red. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!