Heartbroken...any Advice?

Emluvsya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm new here and looking for anything that might help my poor family. One of our cats got out for a lil bit and now her daughter hates her. What do we do?

We have 3 adorable cats that were very well behaved until a few days ago. We found Juno as a stray 4yrs ago and she was pregnant with Athena and Azura. We kept them all. They've always loved each other and gotten along until this weekend.

Juno got out Friday afternoon or evening and we didn't realize it until Saturday afternoon when she meowed at the window. My husband caught her and when he brought her in Athena just lost it and went completely berserk! She attacked her as if she was trying to kill her! When Juno ran to the basement Athena pursued her and attacked me and my husband when we dared to stop her. Then she turned on her sister too and scared her to death!

We've had her shut in the basement since then. We put her in the carrier later on in hopes that being able to see and smell everyone might help them reconcile. NOPE. Athena yowls and hisses every time they get near her! They get scared and run off and/or hiss back. Juno has been a little skittish but otherwise fine, Azura isn't thrilled and there's been a few hisses between them but theyre doing ok.

I hate keeping Athena in the basement just as much as she does. We shut the others in the bedroom yesterday and she was lovey dovey with me and hubby. Today i stacked gates in the upstairs hallway so they could try again. Still no dice. Athena puffs up and yowls and hisses whenever they go near the gate.

Does anyone know exactly wth is going on with our cats? I just want my sweet baby back :( any advice is greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! This might help, and also try the vanilla. All the cats need to be reintroduced, and the vanilla can help ensure that juno smells the same as everyone else. Hang in there! If need be, use a big piece of cardboard to break up fights.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

from valanhb
"You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Juno got out and came back smelling different and now the other cats don’t recognize her. It is called non recognition aggression and it is very common when a cat gets out or even goes to the vet. It will get better on its own but you can speed it along by rubbing something on Juno that belongs to the two other cats like a blanket or rubbing a cloth over them and then over her. Some people have also used vanilla and rubbed all of the cats with it so they all smell the same again.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emluvsya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice guys...i only wish it had worked :( Juno and Azura are doing just fine today but Athena is still being a monster! Idk if it's a matter of smell anymore since Azura doesn't even sniff my hands now when i pet her after Juno. Athena is still in the basement. We gated the others upstairs today since i was hoping the time with us might help her feel better. I did the vanilla trick but i don't think it really did anyt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emluvsya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whoops! I hit the post button before I was done! Anyway i don't think the vanilla trick worked. I crated Athena and put in a towel that i rubbed over the others. I fed her and Azura treats inches away and that went ok but when she still hissed when they got too close and she yowled at Juno. Just now Juno wanted to go into the basement and when hubby cracked the door an inch Athena shreiked at her so he closed the door. She spent the next 10mins angry meowing at the door. Honestly I'm at a loss now. I feel like we've tried everything and it's not working. I can't bear the thought of giving her up but i'm worried it may come to that. Still heartbroken :.(

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't give up! When I brought my kitten Shiloh into the house our older gal Cocoa was livid. It took months.
I have my new boy Theo in a separate room, and I'm not even trying to introduce him to Cocoa yet.
Different situations yes, but the point is there probably won't be any quick fix. The cats need time to learn to know each other once again <3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, don't give up and don't harbor negative thoughts. You're on Athena time now, and that means there's no rushing her. This will take as long as it takes :heartshape: i will say, she sounds as though she's a little more accepting of Azure, so that's a big step in the right direction.