Heart-warming video - Parleys Canyon Wildlife Overpass lets animals walk over I-80 in Utah

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Back in 2018, the Utah Department of Transportation opened a $5 million overpass across six lanes of the highway as part of an effort to reduce crashes between cars and animals. It was the state's first project like this.

The DOT and researchers at Utah State University have been monitoring the new system ever since. And, it appears to be working remarkably well.

For two years, the Parleys Canyon Wildlife Overpass has allowed critters to stroll and sprint across I-80 without having to worry about the fast cars down below. The overpass is covered in rocks and logs to make the animals feel right at home, and it's got high fencing to make sure they don't accidentally tumble off.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, my gosh! This is fantastic! I lived in Utah for 10 years and drove through Parley’s Canyon many times on my way up to Park City and Deer Valley. People drive like they’re on a race course, a mountainous one. There are a lot of accidents, even without animals involved. I’m so glad to see that they’ve built this bridge. Did you see the big “kitty” sharpening his claws on the log? :redheartpump: