Heart health

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My co-worker, female and only 42, had a heart attack on Thursday while at work. Thankfully, my other co-worker with a history of cardiac issues (mild) had aspirin on hand that she keeps for herself...just in case. Her husband, just by chance, was also on site and brought her to the hospital (almost) immediately. At one point during her attack, her blood pressure sky rocketed to over 200 over ....oh poop, I can't remember the bottom number. She thought she was just experiencing heart burn...but my other co-worker basically told her either your husband is taking you to the hospital or I'm calling the ambulance...you don't have a choice...she agreed to let hubby take her in.
She is still in hospital undergoing testing because they don't know what caused her heart attack, but according to tests already performed...it's not her first!...and she had no idea! So far, blood pressure is (now) fine, cholesterol is perfect and no blockages...
She is overweight and on the "high energy/anxious" side...so I wonder if she simply has a weak heart, from chronic strain (simply put...her heart has always had to work hard to pump)...even thought her tests show she is "healthy".
My other thought is that perhaps she is chronically dehydrated and has some electrolyte imbalances....I know she doesn't drink enough..but blood work should have shown if electrolytes are the issue....
Whenever I try to research causes of heart attacks, I can't find much on "alternate" reasons for cardiac arrest. Does anyone have any knowledge about people who suffer a heart attack...even though the typical reasons aren't there? Again, she is overweight...but other than looking big...according to tests..."her insides" are healthy.
Is being overweight and dehydrated ENOUGH to cause a heart attack on it's own? or are they usually just triggers that could HELP bring one on in someone with heart disease?

By they way...She has been deemed as having had a "moderate" heart attack this time, and tests show that the damage to her heart from the unknown previous heart attack was worse than the damage caused by this one.
The troponin levels they recorded during this heart attack actually indicate that she should have been WAY worse off than she was....
She says she is feeling fine now....although she is the type to down play.

Anyway, any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she had symptoms, (chest pain, numbness in her hands, jaw pain and pretty bad heart burn - but had just finished eating her lunch) which is why we were so adamant about her going to the hospital. She just thought that her heart burn was causing the other issues...she's a bit stubborn. Earlier in the day, she was short of breath...but just chalked it up to that fact that she was really tired from not sleeping well a few days earlier and cutting down and splitting trees at her camp over the weekend.
What is puzzling is the doctors don't know why she had one, considering her overall health when it relates to heart health (other than being overweight) is good.

I mean, I know that being overweight in itself will weaken the heart...but at such a young age....wow. That's why I wanted to know if anyone has any other ideas about what can cause a heart attack outside of the "normal" causes.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she at any point in time tested positive for Covid? The current research points towards it affecting blood viscosity in some patients, as well as potentially causing heart damage in severe cases.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope..no Covid...although we can't rule out asymptomatic infection....but I would assume at least someone in her family or one of us at work would get it if she had it at any point in the last several months without knowing she had it.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your coworker. I hope she recovers from this. My father had heart attacks and had to have quadruple bypass. I have a sister who is heading down the same path very overweight, eats junk food, anxious, and picked up smoking in the last while (it has gotten very bad).🙁 I never heard of dehydration causing a heart attack. She may have some bad habits like my sister that you don't know about or maybe it is something genetic that puts her at risk for these heart attacks. I came across this article on silent heart attack that I was going to forward to my sister. I hope they find the root cause(s) to your friend's heart attack.

Before I go, something just came to mind as I was typing. They say every pound overweight is equal to four pounds in pressure on your joints. I wonder if being overweight alone puts too much pressure (overworks the heart). Anyway, something to think about. As mentioned here is the article.🙂
What is a Silent Heart Attack?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she have a heart attack or did she have a cardiac arrest. Two different heart issues and usually different causes.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she have a heart attack or did she have a cardiac arrest. Two different heart issues and usually different causes.
She said heart attack...well, my co-worker who relayed the information said heart attack. The terms are often interchanged when speaking to non-health providers, so I'll just have to wait until Monday to get more information I guess.