Healthy cat food options

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m currently in search of better wet and dry food options for my kitties. I have 2 girls one is a year old and the other is 9 months. Currently eating fancy feast and meow mix (I know terrible but they’re picky and my vet was no help 😐) any recommendations on better options?

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast classics is what I feed my cats but that's a lot of little cans. Get 5.5 oz cans or bigger for dry dr elseys is popular. Weruva my cats like, and tiki after,rawz
Try to avoid fish and carageenan
Get pate,shredded meat,minced,and chopped to see what they like

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast classics is what I feed my cats but that's a lot of little cans. Get 5.5 oz cans or bigger for dry dr elseys is popular. Weruva my cats like, and tiki after,rawz
Try to avoid fish and carageenan
Get pate,shredded meat,minced,and chopped to see what they like

[/URL]
Thank you!! Both of them really like the grilled chicken and Turkey fancy feast neither of them will eat tuna or fish flavor. Very picky 😂 but I will definitely try those dry foods!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's really hard to recommend food because many cats are so darned picky. The best food for them, frankly, is what they will eat. I have gone through probably thousands of dollars trying to get my cats to eat "good for them" foods, and most of the time the picky one will just walk away and not eat. It's so frustrating. He doesn't like Weruva, or Tiki, or Rawz, or Hounds & Gatos, or Lotus. He doesn't even like Fancy Feast! For dry, I feed freeze dried raw and just don't rehydrate it. I figure that's the best if it's going to be dry. (and he won't touch it if I add water to it) I feed either Feline Natural or Meal Mates for that purpose. For wet food right now I am feeding Purina One Beyond chicken and sweet potatoes mixed with Sheba chicken cuts. The only reason I feed the freeze dried to him is that he won't eat enough of the wet to get in his daily calories otherwise. For example, he didn't eat any breakfast at all, and his lunch bowl is sitting here next to me with probably half of his lunch still in it. :angrywoman:.

Definitely refer to the above website for food info. Less carbs are better for cats.

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really hard to recommend food because many cats are so darned picky. The best food for them, frankly, is what they will eat. I have gone through probably thousands of dollars trying to get my cats to eat "good for them" foods, and most of the time the picky one will just walk away and not eat. It's so frustrating. He doesn't like Weruva, or Tiki, or Rawz, or Hounds & Gatos, or Lotus. He doesn't even like Fancy Feast! For dry, I feed freeze dried raw and just don't rehydrate it. I figure that's the best if it's going to be dry. (and he won't touch it if I add water to it) I feed either Feline Natural or Meal Mates for that purpose. For wet food right now I am feeding Purina One Beyond chicken and sweet potatoes mixed with Sheba chicken cuts. The only reason I feed the freeze dried to him is that he won't eat enough of the wet to get in his daily calories otherwise. For example, he didn't eat any breakfast at all, and his lunch bowl is sitting here next to me with probably half of his lunch still in it. :angrywoman:.

Definitely refer to the above website for food info. Less carbs are better for cats.
Thank you!! My cats are very picky as well, I’ve made the mistake of buying beef candy feast a case of 24 and I ended up fixing it all the strays outside because my cats refuse it :ohwell: but I appreciate the advice I will definitely check out that list and keep these things in mind!!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine love fancy feast classic pates. They also get Koha, I and love and you, tiki cat and iams perfect portions. Every once in a while they get friskies. I do not feed any fish flavors or dry food

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals pâtés are actually quite healthy! The ingredient list is very good for the price. Be sure to get the pâtés and not the pieces in gravy, the gravy flavors have carrageenan and the pâté flavors do not, and you definitely want to avoid that ingredient.

They also offer a variety pack:
https://www.chewy.com/fancy-feast-gourmet-naturals-pate/dp/199330

It also depends on where you shop. Petco's store brand Whole Hearted is another good value, higher quality wet & dry ingredients for a good price. I know Chewy has a few of their own brands but I don't know much about them.

I've heard Meow Mix can be very addictive, so they may not give that up very easily, but it can be done! 😜

Tippy’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! My cats are very picky as well, I’ve made the mistake of buying beef candy feast a case of 24 and I ended up fixing it all the strays outside because my cats refuse it :ohwell: but I appreciate the advice I will definitely check out that list and keep these things in mind!!
I’m so glad another cat refuses beef! I don’t feel so badly. She likes Tiny Tiger cuts in gravy but won’t even try the beef, so that’s 8 cans in each package donated to a less finicky cat. I just try to get her to eat, even if it’s Sheba or Fancy Feast, since at least it’s better than kitty crack a/k/a dry. We still do some dry but not much. I have no choice since she’s so picky. ☹

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine love fancy feast classic pates. They also get Koha, I and love and you, tiki cat and iams perfect portions. Every once in a while they get friskies. I do not feed any fish flavors or dry food
I’ve tried the pate my girls don’t care for it but they love the grilled chicken and Turkey. I’ve heard a lot about tiki cat I’ll definitely try that. Thanks!!

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals pâtés are actually quite healthy! The ingredient list is very good for the price. Be sure to get the pâtés and not the pieces in gravy, the gravy flavors have carrageenan and the pâté flavors do not, and you definitely want to avoid that ingredient.

They also offer a variety pack:
FANCY FEAST Gourmet Naturals Pate Variety Pack Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

It also depends on where you shop. Petco's store brand Whole Hearted is another good value, higher quality wet & dry ingredients for a good price. I know Chewy has a few of their own brands but I don't know much about them.

I've heard Meow Mix can be very addictive, so they may not give that up very easily, but it can be done! 😜
I will definitely look into trying those fancy feasts! My cats love fancy feast now. Thanks for the advice!! 😊

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad another cat refuses beef! I don’t feel so badly. She likes Tiny Tiger cuts in gravy but won’t even try the beef, so that’s 8 cans in each package donated to a less finicky cat. I just try to get her to eat, even if it’s Sheba or Fancy Feast, since at least it’s better than kitty crack a/k/a dry. We still do some dry but not much. I have no choice since she’s so picky. ☹
Yes my cats absolutely will not eat beef 🫤 I always donate my cans or feed the cats in my neighborhood when I buy a variety pack with beef.

Tippy’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve tried the pate my girls don’t care for it but they love the grilled chicken and Turkey. I’ve heard a lot about tiki cat I’ll definitely try that. Thanks!!
I’ve had pretty good luck with the Tiny Tiger from Chewy. It looks just like the Fancy Feast cuts in gravy. The variety pack has 8 cans of beef though. I did get a damaged box once, but the cans were all fine. Mine also refuses pate! 😔

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will definitely look into trying those fancy feasts! My cats love fancy feast now. Thanks for the advice!! 😊
If you’re avoid fish, all of those have fish as one of the top ingredients