Healthy Boys

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update on these handsome little guys that share our life.

Both had their wellness check today with a feline-only vet here in the North Texas area.  I have wanted, and the stars finally aligned, to find a feline only vet in the same area we stay in regularly (to visit our kids and grand babies) in the area.  She is about a 1/2hr drive away from our campground, but our experiences thus far have been great. 

Si (on the left) - at 20mos. now - weighed in at 13.4lbs and the Doc said since she can still clearly see his waist & feel his ribs he's just fine; and that he was a big beautiful boy that we were fortunate to find.  Everything clinically, teeth included, are all in tip top shape.

Monty - at 7.5mos now - weighed in at 10.11lbs and although we still have a sneeze from time to time, it is truly airborne in nature.   His fur has grown back in the belly and bib areas about 85-90% now.  There are several threads under my username if anyone new was interested in the overgrooming issues we were going through.   Our new vet believes his issues are, and have been, airborne primarily, all along.  All other vitals, including teeth, are in tip top shape.

Our new vet has a clinic/hospital mascot who is also a female carbon copy of our boys.  She was left pregnant in a carrier at the vet's door.  The kittens have all been adopted to great homes and she will remain as their office kitteh.

Very happy Meowmy right now.

Last edited:

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful boys and so glad to here they are in tippity top condition they are very handsome you should feel like a very proud meowmy! How horrid for the little girlie in the vet office left there pregnant on the doorstep in amazes me how cruel some cat owners can be and to think if they had taken the time to spay her she wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place! Cudos to the vet and the team there for taking her in and taking good care of her :)

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both had their wellness check today with a feline-only vet here in the North Texas area.  I have wanted, and the stars finally aligned, to find a feline only vet in the same area we stay in regularly (to visit our kids and grand babies) in the area.  She is about a 1/2hr drive away from our campground, but our experiences thus far have been great. 

Si (on the left) - at 20mos. now - weighed in at 13.4lbs and the Doc said since she can still clearly see his waist & feel his ribs he's just fine; and that he was a big beautiful boy that we were fortunate to find.  Everything clinically, teeth included, are all in tip top shape.

Monty - at 7.5mos now - weighed in at 10.11lbs and although we still have a sneeze from time to time, it is truly airborne in nature.   His fur has grown back in the belly and bib areas about 85-90% now.  There are several threads under my username if anyone new was interested in the overgrooming issues we were going through.   Our new vet believes his issues are, and have been, airborne primarily, all along.  All other vitals, including teeth, are in tip top shape.

Our new vet has a clinic/hospital mascot who is also a female carbon copy of our boys.  She was left pregnant in a carrier at the vet's door.  The kittens have all been adopted to great homes and she will remain as their office kitteh.

Very happy Meowmy right now.
Fantastic! The boys are looking good. You must be quite relieved and happy with the feedback from this vet. She sounds like a keeper. Thanks for the update.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, we both feel so much better that little Monty seems to be either outgrowing the allergy that was bothering him most, or by moving to a new location and climate, that we moved away from the worst allergen.   We are sure at this point it is not food related at all.  Monty can eat any of the varieties of chicken flavored friskes that Si eats with no skin reactions at all.    I do, however, continue to work on finding a flavor or three of grain/gluten free wet foods that our older boy will eat.  Mainly because I want them both on the same brand of food so I can purchase in bulk at better prices!   

We are very happy with this particular vet & her staff.  I guess I would have thought the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area would have had a huge choice of feline-only practices .. but she is the only one in this area.  Luckily her office is only 30mi from where we stay in this area while visiting our kids. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, we both feel so much better that little Monty seems to be either outgrowing the allergy that was bothering him most, or by moving to a new location and climate, that we moved away from the worst allergen.   We are sure at this point it is not food related at all.  Monty can eat any of the varieties of chicken flavored friskes that Si eats with no skin reactions at all.    I do, however, continue to work on finding a flavor or three of grain/gluten free wet foods that our older boy will eat.  Mainly because I want them both on the same brand of food so I can purchase in bulk at better prices!   

We are very happy with this particular vet & her staff.  I guess I would have thought the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area would have had a huge choice of feline-only practices .. but she is the only one in this area.  Luckily her office is only 30mi from where we stay in this area while visiting our kids. 
That's awesome! ..

A handful of suggestions for grain-free would be Wellness, GO by Petcurean, Hound & Gatos and Nature' Variety Instinct. I am feeding the NV right now and my three care liking it. These diets will be more expensive than the Friskies however, but here in Canada, I am able to get a discount on a case of premium food. If you can get to a PetSmart or Petco, they may have a similar discount plan?

There is also Authority which is Petsmart's own brand of cat food. It does not contain by-products or carageenan, I believe. It is quite reasonable in price (under $1) for a 5.5 ounce can. http://www.authoritypetnutrition.com/cat-products/adult/canned-food.shtml

Hope this can help some.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That's awesome! ..

A handful of suggestions for grain-free would be Wellness, GO by Petcurean, Hound & Gatos and Nature' Variety Instinct. I am feeding the NV right now and my three care liking it. These diets will be more expensive than the Friskies however, but here in Canada, I am able to get a discount on a case of premium food. If you can get to a PetSmart or Petco, they may have a similar discount plan?

There is also Authority which is Petsmart's own brand of cat food. It does not contain by-products or carageenan, I believe. It is quite reasonable in price (under $1) for a 5.5 ounce can. http://www.authoritypetnutrition.com/cat-products/adult/canned-food.shtml

Hope this can help some.
Thank you!    I currently feed a variety of NV rabbit, duck, chicken & salmon to our little guy.  He loves food.  They will both eat the NV rabbit or chicken kibble. 

Our older boy has tried the NV wet a few times but even rotating the different flavors, 3 out of 5 times he will just walk away.  Of course he acted like he could not get enough of whatever variety the day before.  LOL    

I'm going to run to the local Petco/Petsmart here over the weekend to grab a few canns the other brands you mentioned to see if it's a texture thing or what.  You would think the boy would recognize better food when he saw it. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you!    I currently feed a variety of NV rabbit, duck, chicken & salmon to our little guy.  He loves food.  They will both eat the NV rabbit or chicken kibble. 

Our older boy has tried the NV wet a few times but even rotating the different flavors, 3 out of 5 times he will just walk away.  Of course he acted like he could not get enough of whatever variety the day before.  LOL    

I'm going to run to the local Petco/Petsmart here over the weekend to grab a few canns the other brands you mentioned to see if it's a texture thing or what.  You would think the boy would recognize better food when he saw it. 

You're welcome. Yes, my little female isn't big on pates. I forget to mention that Nature's Variety has a new line called PRIDE. It is a chunky/shredded variety with the same ingredients, just different consistency. If you can find this, it might work better than the NV pate?