Health Support Post

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

i hope its okay to post this. been having some health issues and needed some support.

(This post contains issues with womens health, run away if that makes you uncomfortable. lol)

--

so, i always had issues with my cycle, i used to rarely get a period, and my doctor used to tell me that was normal. So my mom and I never worried. I'm 34 years old, so perhaps the information back then wasnt great? we also didnt have much money.

About two years ago when my mother passed away, suddenly my health declined. Right after she passed my period suddenly came down, and i havent been able to get rid of it ever since.

Most days i spot, other days i bleed so bad and have huge clots. I sometimes get a few hours without bleeding, and then it comes back. I went to one gyno and he told me to lose weight and get on the pill. Not going to lie, i didnt want to get on the pill. So i went to another gyno (yesterday) he saw polyps and removed them. I dont want to depend on a pill if its possible to avoid that.

Just remembering the feeling of him scraping down there makes me weak in the knees. I feel awful today, lots of cramps and some clotting.

I'm prediabetic and have issues with my blood pressure. i want to improve my health, but to be honest, food is a huge comfort to me. I havent admitted this to anyone, but right after my procedure i went to get mcdonalds. :sigh: i feel sad admitting that. They're telling me to lose weight to fix my issues, and i do something like that.

i can lose weight and do well for a few months, then something happens and i fall back to my old habits.

if theres anyone working on improving their health, or if you have any tips, please feel free to respond.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are struggling. When you are facing all that you sometimes need to pick out a single thing that you can do or change that will help you feel better. You do have that power. It doesn’t need to be huge, baby steps will work. Getting more exercise for example will help your blood sugar and your blood pressure. It doesn’t mean the gym every day, it can be as little as committing to take a walk around the block every day. If you already do that then commit to increasing your exercise or walking time. And, if exercise isn’t something you want to do, maybe figure out one thing you can do differently with your diet. It isn’t necessary to do an all or nothing diet, just one healthy change.

And, if the pill will help, try it. If you have side effects you don’t like then stop taking it but you won’t know until you try.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Hi,Just remembering the feeling of him scraping down there makes me weak in the knees. I feel awful today, lots of cramps and some clotting.
I'm sure it is not unusual to cramp and/or clot after this procedure. However, did the gynecologist give you any follow-up instructions? Did the doctor's office call today to check how you're feeling, complications, etc.?

I'm so sorry you're having health problems before starting your new job and wish you the best both with your health and this new chapter in your life. :hugs:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it PCOS? Or endometriosis? I'm lucky enough not to have either, but it sounds like something that could be. I will say my period is lighter and more regular on the pill, but that doesn't sound like it's tge best option for you.

I hear you on stress eating. When I wanted to start losing weight, the first thing I did was find a few sustainable mini-changes. Like two spoons of sugar in my coffee instead of three. Trying to drink more water. That way I didn't feel like I was missing out the way a whole big diet did.

I think weightlifting has helped me a lot too. My fiancé and I have been using the stronglifts app for about a year and while I had to start way below their recommendations, I've gotten stronger and leaner and building muscle helps you burn more calories.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rarely getting a period sounds like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Both myself and my daughters have it. I got regular when I was 36. I didn't have fertility issues but both of my daughters did. PCOS can lead to things like prediabetes, difficulty controlling your weight and high cholesterol. The best treatment for it is being on the pill. It is a hormonal imbalance but the problems come from the ovaries not releasing an egg like they are supposed to. Being on the pill stops the ovaries from trying to ovulate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the support. :grouphug:

Yes, I have PCOS.

No the doctors office didn't call me today to check in. It's a new gyno that I went to. He had good reviews online.

I've been nervous to get on the pill due to all the side effects I've read about. The women in my family have always reacted badly to the pill, so I've been nervous to get on it.

Thank you all for the tips..I think the thought of having to completely change things and fix my diet have left me overwhelmed.

Im going to try making small changes.

Honestly, I think my fear of medication comes from my mother. Seeing her on so many pills, all her health issues, and passing.

Sounds so stupid, but I started looking up side effects for the pill I was prescribed by my gyno (provera) as soon as I saw the word cancer I panicked.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been losing weight. One thing that has really helped is finding what I DO enjoy. I've never been athletic. I never liked gym class. A lot of my friends ran track or played basketball. Gym class made me feel so inadequate. But you know I liked weight lifting. I liked flexibility exercises. I almost enjoyed when they would let us run on the wooded trails. Basically I liked things that didn't necessarily involve coordination and definitely didn't include competition. So I started slow with just 15 minutes on the eliptical at home. Then I added weight lifting. (It helps DH had these things already I know.) I added a few minutes at a time till I got up to 30 minutes and 3 miles. I read while I'm on there; which really helps!

I also had to start talking to myself differently and thinking about myself differently. Our minds really are powerful. I stopped making jokes about hating the gym and things like that. It is easy to go back into old habits. But I find when I'm active I tend to eat better. I don't restrict myself. I look for a healthy balance.

It was really nice to walk out of the doctor having been praised and encouraged. It was really nice to find how much easier it was to move soil and things this summer for my gardens. It's nice that my clothing is getting looser. I still have a ways to go; but honestly I do not let myself check my weight more than once a month now. That's just a number. I feel better. That's my goal. I feel stronger. That encourages me. Not some arbitrary number on a scale or inside my clothing.

One thought I've had all along is that whatever changes I make; they HAVE to be sustainable. That includes diet, exercise and sleep. It's been nice to realize that the right answer for me isn't necessarily the right answer for everyone else too.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that any doctor whose first response to a medical problem (especially if it's a male doctor talking to a female patient) is to lose weight, it's best to find a new doctor. A lot of studies show that being a lighter weight doesn't always mean you are healthier. I've read a lot of books about the dieting industry, being healthy at a heavier weight, and dealing with eating disorders (which I have), so if you are ever interested in the list I have, let me know.

I had weight loss surgery almost 2.5 years ago. I lost 110lbs before the surgery, then another 80 after the surgery. In the last 18 months, I have gained about 30 to 40 pounds back. I'm not happy about it, but my therapist (who specializes in eating disorders) has been helping me accept it. I also have PCOS and losing weight did help me become more regular though. A few years ago, I would go sometimes over a year without having a period, so my doctor would prescribe me a week of progesterone so my body was forced to have a menstrual cycle. If I went another long period of time without a period, I'd be prescribed it again.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles

I was doing really great with exercise addy my old house because my brother has an elliptical. Going to start going to the gym near our house when I feel better.

I've been adding healthier meals to my diet lately. I think what stops me from losing weight is the fast food I eat.

I also struggle with finding meals that are filling without making me crave snacks. Lol I started eating eggs in the morning and it's been helping.

MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33

The weightloss answer is what I got from two gynos and a primary doctor. :(

Any list you have, feel free to share. If I can be healthier even at a heavier weight that would be great. I want my body to work better.

Im sorry about your issues after your surgery. :sigh: it can't be easy after such a big change.

- - -

I sent a message to my gyno to let him know about the bleeding.

He answered with really bad grammar. Lol not sure how I feel about that.

His answer to my question about having a heavy period with clots "r u taking medication i gave u to stop bleeding".

I let him know my concerns, the medication says it's not safe for people with clotting issues. I have history with deep vein thrombosis.

Im also confused, why remove the polyps if this medication is also needed? Would just this medication have fixed me all along? He told me the polyps were probably what was causing my bleeding.... then why do I need the medicine to stop the bleeding?

Its 2 am and im feeling better.

I haven't had such a bad period in two months. I'm starting to regret ever going to this doctor.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
've been nervous to get on the pill due to all the side effects I've read about. The women in my family have always reacted badly to the pill, so I've been nervous to get on it.
Talk to your Gyn about the Depo shot. However, if you have any plans on getting pregnant, this shot is definitely NOT for you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The medication he gave you for the bleeding is probably a form of birth control pills. I had the issue once, not after a procedure it just happened. The doctor had me take a large number of birth control pills the first day, one less each day after and it worked. They worked very quickly also within two days.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was doing really great with exercise addy my old house because my brother has an elliptical. Going to start going to the gym near our house when I feel better.
Paying for a gym membership was the only way I got myself to exercise regularly. Whenever I tried to do it at home I'd give it up eventually, but for me, once I was actually putting money towards it that forced me to go. Also a gym buddy! If you have someone you can go with or will keep you accountable that helps for me.

I have to warn you, though, despite all the progress you think that you make at a gym, it apparently never gets any easier to lug a 37lb container of cat litter up three flights of stairs. Which is a rip off.

I let him know my concerns, the medication says it's not safe for people with clotting issues. I have history with deep vein thrombosis.
Have you actually had a DVT, then or is it just something that crops up in your family? My brother had one and I got tested for the genetic mutation he had. And while I have it my homocystine levels and such were good enough I didn't need to avoid birth control or anything. If you've actually had one, however, yeah, I'd be wary of medication that can cause clotting.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I did have DVT last year.

I've also tried used natural progesterone cream and when I did I started getting pain in the middle of my calf. Freaked me out so I stopped.

The doctor called me and said I didn't need to take the pill and we can monitor my bleeding. He doesn't think the pill will cause clots. (But I read online it does. ) he says the bleeding should lessen as everything is removed from my system after the procedure.

I'm not sure what to do. I need to feel better before I start work next Monday.

When he did the procedure he said my lining was so thick that it looked like I was on my period.

But i already had my "period" the beginning of this month.

Just so confused.

- -

Thankfully we have a free gym in our neighborhood due to the association we have. There's supposedly a gym at my new job too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paying for a gym membership was the only way I got myself to exercise regularly. Whenever I tried to do it at home I'd give it up eventually, but for me, once I was actually putting money towards it that forced me to go. Also a gym buddy! If you have someone you can go with or will keep you accountable that helps for me.

I have to warn you, though, despite all the progress you think that you make at a gym, it apparently never gets any easier to lug a 37lb container of cat litter up three flights of stairs. Which is a rip off.

Have you actually had a DVT, then or is it just something that crops up in your family? My brother had one and I got tested for the genetic mutation he had. And while I have it my homocystine levels and such were good enough I didn't need to avoid birth control or anything. If you've actually had one, however, yeah, I'd be wary of medication that can cause clotting.
Well, Lari Lari , IDK from three flights of stairs, but I do know that the days when I thought I could not lug my 30# containers of litter up the back steps (just a couple of steep ones), into the house, and on top of the stack of litter pails already there, are gone. I've been working out and lifting weights most of my life, so that hasn't changed. But my friend who used to help me with this isn't doing so any more, so I became determined to be able to do it myself, and I am.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are having such troubles!

My first thought is find a new doctor, as others have mentioned. Perhaps join a PCOS group and ask around to find one that is female friendly and that takes the syndrome seriously. If nothing else, I surely have learned in my 60 years that there are some doctors that in spite of being highly educated, do not have enough empathy that is sometimes required for some patients.

Those who have chronic illnesses of any sort need extra help and to be taken seriously when they come with concerns - not to be blown off and told "lose weight and go on the pill"; that just sounds like a generic way to handle things to me and believe me - I'm a huge fan of the pill myself! I was on it for my entire life but realize it isn't for everyone.

Once you find a doctor that you feel comfortable with, one that you actually can work with I think you'll see a difference in your motivation too help yourself in other ways also. When you aren't being taken seriously it can impact your self-esteem in subtle ways, and you wind up sabotaging yourself when you try to make changes. Finding a team that will work with you, build you up and help guide and lead you is a key component to all kinds of health changes.

One thing will follow the other; don't make too many changes at once. Start small. Focus on the most important part of it for now, the one thing that is causing you the most stress - which to me, seems to be the pain you're in. Once that's under control, address the rest of it; the weight, the eating, etc. And if it's of any consolation to you - I know right now you don't believe you can find foods that will make you as happy as a Big Mac but honestly, that is totally possible - I'm speaking from experience.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are having such troubles!

My first thought is find a new doctor, as others have mentioned. Perhaps join a PCOS group and ask around to find one that is female friendly and that takes the syndrome seriously. If nothing else, I surely have learned in my 60 years that there are some doctors that in spite of being highly educated, do not have enough empathy that is sometimes required for some patients.

Those who have chronic illnesses of any sort need extra help and to be taken seriously when they come with concerns - not to be blown off and told "lose weight and go on the pill"; that just sounds like a generic way to handle things to me and believe me - I'm a huge fan of the pill myself! I was on it for my entire life but realize it isn't for everyone.

Once you find a doctor that you feel comfortable with, one that you actually can work with I think you'll see a difference in your motivation too help yourself in other ways also. When you aren't being taken seriously it can impact your self-esteem in subtle ways, and you wind up sabotaging yourself when you try to make changes. Finding a team that will work with you, build you up and help guide and lead you is a key component to all kinds of health changes.

One thing will follow the other; don't make too many changes at once. Start small. Focus on the most important part of it for now, the one thing that is causing you the most stress - which to me, seems to be the pain you're in. Once that's under control, address the rest of it; the weight, the eating, etc. And if it's of any consolation to you - I know right now you don't believe you can find foods that will make you as happy as a Big Mac but honestly, that is totally possible - I'm speaking from experience.
That's one of many reasons why I loathe the "health insurance" racket and the 15-minutes-if-you're-really-lucky appointment you are "lucky" to get after wasting a lot of your precious time calling/being on the internet. Some doctors may truly care. Most, I'm convinced, see it as what it is -- a lucrative career. They don't know their patients -- how could they? -- and so, the level of caring isn't great. The way they are trained leaves much to be desired IMHO. We are all individuals, not a one-size-fits-all, here's-the-bill diagnosis and outcome.
If a person is fortunate enough to get medical (or dental) care that IS truly caring, HANG ONTO IT with all your being. It's rare and precious. I also strongly believe in taking advantage of the wealth of education we have at our fingertips and being our own best friends when it comes to our own preventive health care.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're afraid of clotting, I would consider the Depo shot. You get it every 3 months and it ceases all cycles. I got if for 10 years and then menopause took over, so I quit taking it.
This is a form of birth control and it works by stopping ovulation and cycles. I did cycle every 3rd month for two shots, then it quit completely. But if you're not bleeding, you're not clotting.
But, you must be certain you don't want to get pregnant because it may take a year to reverse. At your age, you may not want to get pregnant anyway. I had my son when I was 35 and it wasn't good. I love my son, but the pregnancy almost killed me.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the support. :grouphug:

Yes, I have PCOS.

No the doctors office didn't call me today to check in. It's a new gyno that I went to. He had good reviews online.

I've been nervous to get on the pill due to all the side effects I've read about. The women in my family have always reacted badly to the pill, so I've been nervous to get on it.

Thank you all for the tips..I think the thought of having to completely change things and fix my diet have left me overwhelmed.

Im going to try making small changes.

Honestly, I think my fear of medication comes from my mother. Seeing her on so many pills, all her health issues, and passing.

Sounds so stupid, but I started looking up side effects for the pill I was prescribed by my gyno (provera) as soon as I saw the word cancer I panicked.
I'm very sorry about all this.
I was told to clean up my diet a bit a few years ago, and the doctor told me to not worry about not eating the junk foods I like, but just to add good foods to them. So instead of a 16 ounce steak with a sprig of parsley on the side, I'd get an 8 ouncer and ad some vegetables and potatoes. I wasn't happy for awhile, but today sweets and fast food just doesn't really hit the spot like it used to. I really enjoy the fact we grow some of our own food, it builds a nice appreciation for where it comes from.
It helps your taste buds learn to like new foods without feeling deprived which I feel is almost instant failure if you get too strict with yourself too quickly.
Can you make yourself a list of good, healthy foods you like and decide how to incorporate that into your diet?
I can't help with the pill :paperbag: But it's a medical condition just like anything else, and you deserve to live the best life you can :wave3:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry about all this.
I was told to clean up my diet a bit a few years ago, and the doctor told me to not worry about not eating the junk foods I like, but just to add good foods to them. So instead of a 16 ounce steak with a sprig of parsley on the side, I'd get an 8 ouncer and ad some vegetables and potatoes. I wasn't happy for awhile, but today sweets and fast food just doesn't really hit the spot like it used to. I really enjoy the fact we grow some of our own food, it builds a nice appreciation for where it comes from.
It helps your taste buds learn to like new foods without feeling deprived which I feel is almost instant failure if you get too strict with yourself too quickly.
Can you make yourself a list of good, healthy foods you like and decide how to incorporate that into your diet?
I can't help with the pill :paperbag: But it's a medical condition just like anything else, and you deserve to live the best life you can :wave3:
Good on ya -- for your beloved cats' sake!!!
And yeah, a balanced diet is always best. Trying new things can be great, too. You're so right -- home grown is best!