Head Tilt unbalanced vestibular?

TuxieTuesday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I dunno if anyone will see this. I'm just really scared. My 15 year old cat developed balance issues this week. I'm guessing vestibular or ear infection best case scenario. She had only a slight head tilt to the right earlier today. Tonight it's now much worse. We have an afternoon vet appointment in 14 hours and the ER hospital is a 2 hour drive from here. She's a bit calmer now but she's a bit agitated and I keep crying which probably upsets her. I just hope waiting for her appointment is okay.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. I would imagine that going to your regular vet might be a better option. If it is a imple as an ear infection, then waiting a few more hours shouldn’t cause much of an impact. If it were to be something more serious, having your vet involved from the get go is always better than an ER vet, for obvious reasons. If nothing changes for the worse between now and then, seeing your regular vet should suffuce.

Don’t think the worst until you have reason to. I hope it is nothing serious, so please keep us posted about what happens with the vet visit. Sending good vibes your way!
:vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TuxieTuesday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, Stormy saw the vet on Friday and is doing much better. He gave her a 2 week lasting antibiotic shot to treat a middle ear infection and she was also given subq fluid for dehydration. She hadn't been drinking, but drank on her own today and her appetite is improving. She walks a little tispy yet but that has much improved as well. I'm so happy. Thank you for the support.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, Stormy saw the vet on Friday and is doing much better. He gave her a 2 week lasting antibiotic shot to treat a middle ear infection and she was also given subq fluid for dehydration. She hadn't been drinking, but drank on her own today and her appetite is improving. She walks a little tispy yet but that has much improved as well. I'm so happy. Thank you for the support.
I'm so glad that Stormy is feeling better! She will more than likely continue to improve as the infection clears up. :)
In SOME cases, the episodes can happen again, either months or years down the road. I don't say this to scare you, but, let you know that if it happens again sometime in the future, it's not uncommon and she should recover from those as well. :)
I hope Stormy continues to improve, and I bet you're very relieved!

TuxieTuesday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. We saw the vet again today. Stormy had been making good progress but of course tonight she starts tilting her head 90 degrees after doing so well all week. He told me she wouldn't need another antibiotics shot unless she regressed. Now I'm going to have to see if she'll feel better in the morning. Her bloodwork all came back normal. She lost some weight so we have to work on encouraging her to eat more too. Right now I hope she's not regressing and continues to improve. It's scary when she acts like this.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had one with a raging decade-long inner ear infection (former feral transitioned inside) and I was unable to administer drops for several years. It got so bad he rolled off the coffee table and couldn't "land on his feet"...hit the ground and then dragged his hind legs crawling out of the room. It happened again 24 hours later and he rolled over and went legs up stiff like he having a stroke or something. I noticed before this he was doing a slight head tilt but I had no idea it could get that bad....

The vet sent us to a cardiologist to make sure he didn't have a blood clot since that leg-dragging episode was worrisome. The cardiologist did an ultrasound and said he has a slight murmur (like 0.5 on a scale of 1-10) and some slight enlargement but no clot....however, he has a horrible inner ear infection. That was when I decided we're getting these Tresaderm drops in if it's the last thing I ever DO.:woo:

We were supposed to do 5 drops twice a day until finished. That didn't happen. We did a huge squirt whenever I could catch him up to three months later. Eventually, repetitive success/fail cycles averaged out in success at clearing the infection but my arms are scarred from the scratches. He's fine now. They said allergies likely triggered the infection and it likely progressed over many years until it was affecting vestibular function in the inner ear.

TuxieTuesday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if I should make a new thread but since her appointment on Monday she's been pretty reluctant to eat. At the appointment she had lost weight and I told him sometimes her appetite isn't great but she never has gotten this bad refusing her normal brands of food. She'll lick some baby food off a spoon and one brand she's most likely to try is Sheba. I have a probiotic and nutrigel to give her but she's not willing to eat. I don't know what to do. I dunno at what point I need to force feed her which is going to make her really mad.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is she doing today? If she doesn't want to eat, I'd definitely call her vet and let them know. They might have some suggestions or want to see her.