Head bumping.... good right?

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walter is the only cat who headbumps for attention... he headbumps the door when he wants in which isn't good.

He only headbutts me or my phone or book or whatever is in my hands.
He is my baby we got at 3 weeks old. My girl cats raised him pretty good but none of them headbutt. When he does it, it is powerful for a little guy! He is appx 6 and 1/2 months old give or take a week or 2.
When he wants attention, he wants it now. Sometimes I go to love on him or pet him and he walks off and sometimes he just snuggles with me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Headbumping is a sign of affection, ( and I think a way of getting our attention) both of my 'boys' do it. 
Burt is much more gentle and kind of slides off to the side, Casper is direct and can knock things out of your hands. The only time I don't enjoy it is when I'm trying to set food or water down for my semi- ferals and they knock it out of my hands. Some cats do it all the time, and some never (?). It's perfectly normal. Thanks for your post, I laughed when I thought of your Walter giving the door affection for it to open! (?)

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats do this too, but 1 much more than the other. Usually when he jumps on the sofa next to me & wants petting. But he also does it when you're putting his food bowl down. He has literally bumped me so hard that the bowl flips & all the food comes out...more than once. He's so nutty with food that when we're preparing their bowls, he runs around the house and head bumps the other 2 cats the entire time. It's pretty hilarious. 

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Head bumping.  Love it when it happens.  It's like getting a nose kiss.  Only difference is one is wet and the other one is dry!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ana was just chewing the corner of my Nook... wanting attention. She normally rubs up on my hands and face. My two "blue" kitties want attention. The other two. Nada.

R rlavach Walter head rams the doors when he wants. Or head rams you for attention. I have never had a cat do it and do it sooo hard.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm the head-bumper. Most of my cats bump, so I guess I got into the habit. When we adopted our shop cat, she didn't bump, but I'd forget and try anyhow. One day I was sitting down doing some paper work and she BUMPED me! Ouch! She finally got it and so did I...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very cool! Walter and Ana bump my hands or nook or TV remote...wanting attention. I'd rather a head bump or something. They are starting to shed. Especially Ana. She is fluffier, *seems* to have more hair. Nothing I love more than being rubbed up against and my mouth left all hairy. Lol

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, we had this huge white rescue cat who would head bump us on the chin so hard it would make our teeth smack. We would try and warn people, but invariably the moment would come when that hollow jaw sound, followed by "ow"....and somebody with their hands rubbing their chin. Boy that cat had a hard head. Ow! [emoji]128513[/emoji]

meganelizabeth8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat Luke head bumps me, and I do it right back. It is so cute. Every morning before I feed them, he jumps up on the counter and bumps me and then wants kisses. lol He loves his kisses. My friends will come over and he will get right up in their face because he wants one, when I tell them that he just wants some lovin. lol 

kingallyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello . Our cat does it to before he goes to sleep with us out of our 6cats him and his son does it real nice

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Sammy headbumps all the time. It's their way of showing affection. Sometimes he will bump my chin so hard I expect it to be bruised, LOL. He is very loving and affectionate and will talk to you the whole time he getting petted.

T.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Matt head-bumps too. He Head-butts the cabinets while waiting for his breakfast, while purring open-mouthed to make it louder and fluffing himself up from head to toe. It's funny- he really loves his food and he shows his appreciation by doubling his size and smashing his head into the cabinet doors and rubbing his face all over your legs. I"m amazed it doesn't hurt him, given the solid "thunk" I hear lol

The other two just go frantic and get underfoot, yelling at me about how 'starving' they are, and how long it's been since I fed them, and what's taking so long, anyway?! LOL! I feed them at 8am and 9:30pm

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sam bumps occasionally, but not very often. He tends to extend his paw and place it on my hand/lips/whatever is close by.  I think its because by the time he wants to show affection, he is already lying down and doesn't want to get up XD. When he does give me a head bump, its normally very gentle and when I'm asleep. For him, I think it's a kind of, "sorry to wake you, but can you feed/pet/play with me?"

But yes, head bumping is good.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my RB cats used to head bump the wall. She would literally walk up to just a blank space of wall, bump her head on it, turn and rub her whole body on it. She was something else! She was super friendly; everyone loved her and guests would ask for her when they came over. I miss her funny ways!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Burt will come up and actually 'hold' his head down and at an angle close by your face to get a bump. When he is being fed he will bump and rub the wall behind the food dish, once so hard my husband was worried. My feral male bumps hard too, it's not bad except when you're trying to put food down and he bumps the plate!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about head 'pushing'?

Sinbad will often turn his head sort of upside down, shove it against me, and just stay there.  This is usually followed by sleep - quite funny if he's done this while standing because he sort of slides down as his legs buckle slowly, keeping his head against me as he goes.