He Sprays While I'm Not Home

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I travel for my job 4 days a week and am usually home for 3 days. For the last 2 weeks, I have worked an extra shift and have been home for only 2 days a week. Pixie knows when to expect me to be home and when I leave. My husband takes care of him while I am away and Pixie usually does very well. When I am home he usually plays in my large reusable Aldi shopping bags. While I was away working during the week, he sprayed in one of the bags, and the smell made me think of how a tomcat smells when they urinate and spray. Pixie is neutered so I haven't smelled that kind of pee for a long time. I discovered it initially when I picked up the bag to take it with me to the store. He ate and used his litter box while I was home and was affectionate like he always is. My husband told me there are tomcats fighting outside of our window 2-3 nights a week and Pixie often yells at them at the window. I am not upset about the bag at all and not upset with Pixie. Is this a territory issue? Is it separation anxiety? My husband says after Pixie yells at the cats at the window, he sits by the door. Last week, that bag was by our door and Pixie sat in it after yelling at the toms outside. Hubby also says he didn't know Pixie peed in it until I picked it up and smelled that familiar tomcat pee smell.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suspect that it is a territorial issue. Do you have a local TNR group available? You could do Pixie, those cats and your neighborhood a HUGE favor by helping facilitate the neutering of all those stray cats. Most local laws will allow you to trap in your yard and get them neutered as long as they are returned to your yard; good complex management don't object either because if nothing is done, the problems explode and removal of all ferals and stray cats creates the unending cycle of the vacuum effect.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Was it just that one time? If so, it does sound like some sort of territorial marking due the tomcat fighting outside your window.

Did the pee soak through the bag onto the floor? If so, ensure you clean the floor with an enzyme cleaner to get rid of all traces of the urine smell, otherwise he might pee there again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was it just that one time? If so, it does sound like some sort of territorial marking due the tomcat fighting outside your window.

Did the pee soak through the bag onto the floor? If so, ensure you clean the floor with an enzyme cleaner to get rid of all traces of the urine smell, otherwise he might pee there again.
rubysmama rubysmama Yes, it was only one time, and the pee was contained in the bag, I didn't find any on the floor. He didn't do it again, and I'm going to talk to the leasing office of our apartment complex about the city's TNR program as catsknowme catsknowme recommended. I took Pixie to the vet yesterday as he seems like he is stressed lately to rule out other illness.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep us updated on how things are going, both with Pixie and your TNR quest. Hopefully Pixie's peeing was a one time thing. It could be a combination of insecurity because you are gone for work combined with fear about the intruders outside. We live on a rural property and had a large feral colony in our yard - socially, it was a rough life for all the cats, males and females alike. I had one tomcat break out of the gate of my Havahart trap and he is the only unneutered cat (except for foster kittens) on the ptoperty - it warms my heart to observe the remaining contented cats. Except for a massacre by cougar in April, 2017, their lives have been relatively peaceful.