<<<------ He somehow ripped or chewed out a matted fur area on his hind leg: left open sore

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
18 yo Maine coon that frequently gets mats in his fur
Usually i brush then out.

He has had one big tough matted area in his hind leg that i have been trying to brush out for months,
Sometime today. that area became an about 2inch area of no fur and the huge mat gone. We saw him cleaning his fur today.
His daytime living sleeping bed was covered with fur pieces like a war went on

For years he sleeps on his bed which is right next to my head at night, Of of a sudden tonight while sleeping next to me, i noticed, as i said above,an about 2inch area of no fur spot on his hind legs, open sore. He seems fine. In no obvious pain--would assume it stings him some.

Advice? i did some research on line, there seems to be a consensus to do nothing,let open air get at it. Would assume at some point to have it looked or take some medical action myself.

The sore is roughly circle,a tad smaller then a dime

(he is 14 in the photo)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
As a general rule if a cat gets a mat like that, cut it off. Otherwise it just becomes worse and worse, twisting and tightening until it creates a wound which, it seems, is what has happened here.
I think your assumption to have it looked at is a good one. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it sounds normal. If he gets these again, do like I do and at a vet visit, ask them to shave them off, this is the only way I can get them off of one of my cats who will not tolerate brushing. Try to trim any long hair around the wound, apply an antibiotic salve (WITHOUT pain killers) and let nature take its course. monitor it daily to make sure infection does not set in, look for yellowish/greenish/white discharge, swelling, and widening redness. There are some good wound sprays on amazon and at farm supply stores, if the spray sound scares him, soak a cotton ball and apply it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could try a home remedy to help with healing. Buy plain chamomile tea bags from the grocery store (they are almost always German, you don't want English nor any additives/flavorings). Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on the wound with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, and is a soothing and healing agent as well. It is also safe should he ingest any of it.