He pulls my hair!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi guys, I'm just looking for some insights into Peter's latest behaviorial quirk. He went through a brief phase at about 8-months-old (2 months after I adopted him), when he would chew my hair every night. I posted about here, got some good insights and advice. This only lasted a couple of weeks and he hasn't done it since.

Lately, however, (I'd say for the past three weeks or so) he's gotten into the habit of actually pulling my hair! It started with his efforts to get me up in the morning (he gets rather impatient when the alarm goes off). He comes and sits on the pillow next to me, braces his feet against my head and pulls my hair. He's not chewing it. Just giving small sections a tug. It's just a little painful, but definitely gets my attention. He doesn't do it every morning, just when I don't move fast enough for him!
He's also started doing it occasionally if he happens to be in proximity to my head. Last night I got down on the floor to cuddle with him and he did it.

Anybody else experience this with their cats? This may sound weird, but I'm not inclined to discourage it. It's kind of sweet in a strange, cat way.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Lately, however, (I'd say for the past three weeks or so) he's actually gotten into the habit of actually pulling my hair! It started with his efforts to get me up in the morning (he get's rather impatient when the alarms goes off). He'd come and sit on the pillow next to me, brace his feet against my head and pull my hair. He's not chewing it. Just giving a small section a tug. It's just a little painful, but definitely gets my attention. He doesn't do it every morning. Just when I don't move fast enough for him!
Oh good, I'm not the only one who suffers this!
Smidge did the morning hair pull for awhile and it is effective. It was a phase I guess, now instead she cuddles v. close to me in the morning when the alarm goes off and mews loudly or smacks me in the nose with her paw. She knows I hate mornings and thinks it is her job to get me up.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heh, I swear my cats toss a coin to decide whose turn it is to wake me up in the morning, LOL Usually it's Abby, my youngest, because if Chynna comes in she settles on the pillow next to me and I scratch her ears and chin and she licks my nose, and she purrrrs and I end up falling asleep from the sound of her purring, hehe Now Abby on the other hand will sit on the floor at the side of the bed and purr like a lawn mower while staring at me. It's not easy to sleep when you have a cat staring at you, LOL If that doesn't work, she jumps up and sticks her butt in my face, or plays leap frog all over the bed (I have a water bed so you can image the rocking and rolling she causes). Sometimes I can fake her out and so long as she doesn't see me open my eyes to peek at her, she will eventually settle down beside me and sleep for a little while.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! This is how Smoki (RB) used to try and wake me up.

That and staring at me until I opened my eyes.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats what my Mother kitty always and still does to her babies ....... I always thought it was a part of her grooming ...... and when its done to me .... I always felt privledged that I was getting groomed, too ....... but while Im still sleeping ??? ......ugh .... He wants you awake !!!!

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Princess pulls my hair too. I'm glad to hear she's not the only one. She only does it when she thinks she isn't getting enough attention or isn't getting her way. She's VERY stubborn!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to know Peter's not the only cat that does this. So, I guess it's fair to say that patience isn't a virtue with some of our beloved kitties.

kittyluver27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh im sure its normal. my cats bite on my hair all the time. they dont actualy pull it but they bite on it and lick it. haha! but one of my cats nurses on me. I mean he literally sucks on my shirt. (not in the booby area) lol but yeah thats what he does and the vet says its normal, he probably misses his mommy, but hes 4 months old and i dont know if its still normal but Im sure it is. dont worry hes just showing you affection. my cats do it all the time.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch used to do this when she was small. She liked to nuzzle my hair, particularly if it was in a pony tail of any kind. Then she's start nibbling and pulling.

tourquoia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try having a 17 lb. 3' long savannah nibble your hair then the others join in.  My F1 marks me with communal scent all the time.  It consists of licking (maybe more like drooling) the are then rubbing cheek scent onto the wet skin/hair.  This can often turn into play and nibbling.  It seems to happen more when they're in heat or pregnant and full of progesterone.  This is one way they keep track of family members.  If you separate them a while and bathe them then reintroduce in a month or more, you'll see them a little hesitant to like each other for a few hours due to the lack of communal scent.  Occasionally the "licking" escalates a bit past nibbling.  If this happens, you likely have a playful can on your hands who needs some attention.  Maybe it's time to break out the wand or wand with snake toys.  Mine love fetching toys and playing soccer with them.  If the licking goes beyond my comfort zone, I gently stop them and say no or make the annoyed whine they sometimes do, then move onto another activity.  You might also notice this behavior being reserved for their favorite humans.  I hope this helps.

gilly76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great little site! thought i would look online as Poppy has started tugging at my hair in the mornings when my alarm goes off. She first started putting her nose up mine and yesterday this hair tugging started.

At first, I thought it was funny but now I am getting frustrated - my hair is rather long and she gets her claws right in.. its like she is grooming me! i suppose i do groom her whilst she is asleep - thought she enjoyed it!

Well - anyway - its cause she wants her breakfast - and she knows that once that alarm goes off - I should be getting out of bed and feeding her....

susan waters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES< YES< YES.  Every morning Prius (I didn't name her...she came that way from the shelter) wakes me up when the sun comes up by climbing on my head and taking a mouth full of hair and pulls.  She doesn't hurt me....she's trying to wake we up.    When I brush her away she comes back, walking on my back, touching my arms and again grabbing my hair. 

It's time to eat and baby you'd better get up.  It's funny but when I don't get a good nights sleep, it doesn't help. 

I love her.  Damn it.