He keeps taking off his collar!

dara678

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have never been able to keep Mochi's collar on for very long ... I first had one of those safety collars, but he was able to dispense was that very quickly. Then I got one of those collars that look like a belt, which I thought would be impossible to loosen, but Mochi eventually managed to wiggle out of that too (and he managed to hide his name tag from me). He hates wearing collars! But I hate for him to walk around without some identification (he is indoors-only). Do you have any suggestions for a collar that he shouldn't be able to take off?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had that battle with Fawn. I seriously doubt that you will find a collar that he just accepts. It's a battle of wills and you just have to go through it. I think we went through six collars of various types, and for Fawn it was a GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME. Eventually I got a puppy collar with a standard buckle (like a belt), but long enough that it wrapped around almost twice, and the end could be taped down. She couldn't wiggle it out of the buckle, and eventually she learned the collar was not going away this time.

When she had kept that one on for a few weeks, I switched back to the safety collar I wanted her to wear, and it was fine. In fact, now, when she loses a collar, which happens every few months, she comes looking for me and immediately shows me her bare neck. Then we just go into the bathroom, where the spare collars are kept, she gets up on the counter, I put a new one on her and she goes on her way.

Good luck with your little monster.

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might just have to try your idea, Rapunzel. I first tried a safety collar with Kali II and found her caught in the threads of mini-blinds one day scratching furiously to get loose. The safety collar did *not* release as it was supposed to.

I heard the Beastie Bands were excellent, so purchased two of them. They seemed to work ~until~ one night I could tell Kali II was standing on her back legs, seemingly in distress. After turning on the lights, she had gotten the band between her mouth like a horse's bit and was trying to get it out.

So, until I figure out a new method, I'm frightened to put collars on her and have her go through that distress in the daytime, but definitely want a tag on her. (She has been chipped but it was done in another state that our area's reader cannot decipher. *sighs*)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Czari

I heard the Beastie Bands were excellent, so purchased two of them. They seemed to work ~until~ one night I could tell Kali II was standing on her back legs, seemingly in distress. After turning on the lights, she had gotten the band between her mouth like a horse's bit and was trying to get it out.
i've had this happen once, but i had the beastie band too loose. i've found that if they're tight enough, the cat can't get her jaw under them. so it's like the 3 bears story - not too tight, not too loose - just right! these are the only collars that Pixel [aka Pixelini Houdini] hasn't been able to remove!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you do have to pay attention to how tight/loose the collar is. The rule of thumb I read years ago is: room for three fingers between the collar and the cat. It works for me.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Lexi won't wear hers long either. She went through about 9 collars in 5 months our first year. Currently she has one on she's worn for about 5 months - the longest time a collar has lasted on that girl!!

I keep lots o back up collars and tags (4) ready to go, and as
soon as she comes in minus one - I pop another one on!! Soon she will
learn that it isn't worth getting rid of one, I hope!!

I still don't know how she does it. She a Manx with extra long back
legs, so perhaps she uses her back leg to get the snap release off...

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's an interesting looking collar. Since it's made out of mountain climbing rope it sure wouldn't fray. I may just have to get one of those and check it out. Thanks for posting this.

sara t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which one did you get? The original or the one with the extra breakaway nib?