He is always scared...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
& your dad nor should anyone force contact. I would have the vet check him out just in case.

That said for cats that frighten easily safe bolt holes make them feel better. So you can easily try putting a box on it’s side and draping a towel draped over half or 2/3’s of the entrance. I would give him a safe place to hide in the living room (at least for a couple of months.) I would also get your dad & all guests to agree (before coming over) that if the cat is in your/his room or one of his hiding boxes, the cat is not to be touched at all. I did tell my niece though that she could lure the cats out with a wand toy. However if the cats wants down, moved away, tail starts flicking then all touching needs to stop. Like I tell her, be the furniture. My guy feels safest up high, so I got him a 7 foot tall cat tree. You can also get your cat cat shelves. Some cats feel safest down low. So I left the cat cube with his sister, who is a bush dweller (you could always drape a baby blanket or lap blanket or towel over the cat cube entrance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
& your dad nor should anyone force contact. I would have the vet check him out just in case.

That said for cats that frighten easily safe bolt holes make them feel better. So you can easily try putting a box on it’s side and draping a towel draped over half or 2/3’s of the entrance. I would give him a safe place to hide in the living room (at least for a couple of months.) I would also get your dad & all guests to agree (before coming over) that if the cat is in your/his room or one of his hiding boxes, the cat is not to be touched at all. I did tell my niece though that she could lure the cats out with a wand toy. However if the cats wants down, moved away, tail starts flicking then all touching needs to stop. Like I tell her, be the furniture. My guy feels safest up high, so I got him a 7 foot tall cat tree. You can also get your cat cat shelves. Some cats feel safest down low. So I left the cat cube with his sister, who is a bush dweller (you could always drape a baby blanket or lap blanket or towel over the cat cube entrance.
okay, thank you for the information

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shaunie. Understand you are not at fault. Worrying about your furbaby is totally normal.

How old is your kit? With him being a rescue, he might have experienced some event prior to your adoption which involved a man. What that was is probably unknowable but for now talk to your father and let him know that he should let the cat be the instigator for any contact. Basically have the father ignore Blue till he comes to the father then no rough housing till Blue is more comfortable with him. Your father could be to noisy or even his smell could be a trigger for his fear or anxiety. For now probably the best thing for your family (parents and siblings) to do is for them to let Blue be the one to initiate any contact or interaction

Safe spots are wonderful and you can over time encourage Blue to accept your lap as a safe place so he would know where to run to if you were there and he was frightened or stressed.

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shaunie. Understand you are not at fault. Worrying about your furbaby is totally normal.

How old is your kit? With him being a rescue, he might have experienced some event prior to your adoption which involved a man. What that was is probably unknowable but for now talk to your father and let him know that he should let the cat be the instigator for any contact. Basically have the father ignore Blue till he comes to the father then no rough housing till Blue is more comfortable with him. Your father could be to noisy or even his smell could be a trigger for his fear or anxiety. For now probably the best thing for your family (parents and siblings) to do is for them to let Blue be the one to initiate any contact or

Safe spots are wonderful and you can over time encourage Blue to accept your lap as a safe place so he would know where to run to if you were there and he was frightened or stressed.
hiya, he's 1 yrs old, he's my number 1 priority, I have a section for him now, so that might help Blue settle into the house properly, and, thank you I do blame myself for him being scared!

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you had him? If it has been less than 6 months then he is still in transition (settling in) stage of being rehomed (adoption). Some cats take less than 6 months but others take longer. Go at his pace for adjusting and don't rush him. It will be frustrating sometimes and worrying other times but in the end, if you take it slow and easy, you should have a wonderfully adjusted furbaby.

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you had him? If it has been less than 6 months then he is still in transition (settling in) stage of being rehomed (adoption). Some cats take less than 6 months but others take longer. Go at his pace for adjusting and don't rush him. It will be frustrating sometimes and worrying other times but in the end, if you take it slow and easy, you should have a wonderfully adjusted furbaby.
Yes, less then 6 months. I am taking it slow!

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest that if you know when your father comes home, take Blue into your room for initial 15 to 20 minutes of his arrival. That is usually the most noisiest and chaotic times in a household is when people arrive. After that time, most households tend to return to a more quiet or sedate environment and let him explore on his own. Might want to put a safe spot in multiple rooms so he can retreat to it when he feels the need which was also suggested earlier. Cardboard box with a towel draped over most of the front is good enough. It is just so he feels safe, similar to being in a cave or such, and can watch the area around him.

I have cardboard boxes scattered about in my house but they are more of a plaything for the two I have.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hiya, he's 1 yrs old, he's my number 1 priority, I have a section for him now, so that might help Blue settle into the house properly, and, thank you I do blame myself for him being scared!
Please don’t blame yourself!

I worry about my furbaby all the time! I had 2 cats that were scared to approach anyone wearing shoes, because I was always barefoot at home. One of those cats had a severe phobia his entire life of men wearing work boots because a workman accidentally stepped on him once! So it could be hundreds of things about your dad that can be triggering Blue’s phobias.

Just today my cat hissed at my neighbor (that he knows) when she went to pet him! He had just walked over to her in my yard and let her pet him! I think when she went home she real quick to grab something; she gave her cat a pet; then when she came back, her hand smelled like another unknown cat (danger, threat.) My response (since he was in my arms) was to reassure my cat & walk him home (after a quick apology to my neighbor.) He was back out, confident as can be, in a few minutes. So it isn’t just Blue who is wary of other humans or who suddenly freaks out for some unknown reason to their humans.

Maybe your father can start with playing with Blue (when he comes out on his own) using a long wand toy? Play can help Blue build a relationship with your dad.

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my dad is taking things with Blue slow, he is creeping in quietly when he comes into my flat! so my dad is being careful for Blue's sake!!

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hopefully in time Blue's issues will pass but your father shouldn't need to creep in. Just let him know it is just going to be like a baby sleeping. He will understand what it means (he is a dad after all). Overall it will take time to figure out what the triggering issue is and hopefully it will fade away to be a non-issue but be aware it might not/ This is one of those things that time will tell so just love on Blue and let him know he is loved and safe.

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully in time Blue's issues will pass but your father shouldn't need to creep in. Just let him know it is just going to be like a baby sleeping. He will understand what it means (he is a dad after all). Overall it will take time to figure out what the triggering issue is and hopefully it will fade away to be a non-issue but be aware it might not/ This is one of those things that time will tell so just love on Blue and let him know he is loved and safe.
yes, hopefully!

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is Blue doing? Has things settled down and is he adjusting? Haven't heard anything so just was checking up on the situation.