Hcm/chf Cat With With Uti + Constipation

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I hate to start a new thread, I know these are two of the most frequent topics. I have read many threads and can't find an answer to a couple of questions, so here we go...

Speedy is 17+ years old with advanced cardiac disease, stable on medication for many years but underweight. After a long healthy life, she suddenly has her first UTI and constipation, I don't know if they are related or if it's just bad luck. Throughout everything I am about to describe, she has been eating, drinking and behaving as usual.

About a week ago we had the classic UTI symptoms - in out out of the litter box every five minutes, straining but producing only a few drops of pee. My vet chose not to see Speedy at this time, we had just been to our regular checkup and the blood and urine work were fine except for a little blood in the urine. (At the time she suspected the blood was from the syringe used to draw the urine.) So the vet prescribed a 21-day course of Baytril.

How long should it take for Baytril to clear the UTI? The symptoms got better, she is in the box less often and producing pretty normal urine (at least two big pees per day, she's on lasix and drinks and pees a lot). However, her urine continues to be pinkish. Speedy is elderly and nowadays she frequently pees over the side of the box, I can see pink on the puppy pad. Should her urine be normal color by now? I recently put her on some new treats which are a reddish color and could that be dyeing her urine or is it definitely blood?

In the meantime, Speedy is also constipated for the first time in her life. She went two days with nothing, produced a tiny poop, then three more days with nothing. She eats and drinks, is affectionate, doesn't appear to be in pain, and let me feel her belly. The only symptom is a lack of poop. I checked my house to be sure she isn't secretly pooping somewhere, it does seem to be constipation. The vet said I could give her a pinch of miralax but only a pinch (remember, elderly underweight cardiac patient). I gave it to her yesterday and 18 hours later, after some moderate straining, we had a poop that was almost normal size. Yay!

Do readers recommend giving a cat miralax every day until she's regular again? Or should I wait a day or so and see how it goes? Also, do you think the recent introduction of new treats and wet foods could be the cause? For the last 3 years, Speedy ate lower-sodium Weruva wet foods and Friskies Temptations treats (yeah, I know you all hate them) almost exclusively. But she is underweight and the cardiologist told me to not worry about sodium and just feed her whatever she'll eat, to get more calories into her. So now she is enjoying a variety of higher quality wet foods. Could that be a cause? We also reduced her lasix by half, but that should make her less dehydrated, not more.

Thanks for your advice on the Baytril and Miralax.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat, Little Bean has unfortunately been ill with a previously undiagnosed UTI and when they finally found it, it was B-A-D!!!!! Almost Septic, and by then, had her in to see several Vets, before they realized she had a wrong diagnosis (whole other story, but I was SO mad and changed Vets!) Anyway, along with her UTI's, she routinely has severe constipation. The Vets did tell me, she probably is protecting her pelvic muscles by not using them to strain, because those muscles hurt when she does try to urinate, so she holds her urine and her stool. They had me give her Miralax and she has been on it for several months now. I HATE giving it to her, but she absolutely refuses to poop, otherwise. The Miralax doesn't cramp her and she does go with it. Sigh. I understand and hear your worries on this! I am wondering, if your cat is now actually past the UTI, that she is associating pelvic pain with straining with those pelvic muscles, like my Little Bean does?? They can get something in their brain and it is difficult to take that thought away from them!!! Wishing you ALL the best with this. I am thinking, at least she IS going now and maybe you can, in a week or two, try to see if she will go without it? (Just a thought on that!) If not, she may need to keep taking the Miralax. My Cat takes more than a pinch, as she is 12 pounds and for her, 1/4 teaspoon daily, is the dose that works for her. Each cat is different though!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really can't help with the UTI, but if you're not seeing improvement after 72 hours on antibiotic, I would call the vet back. That's my general rule of thumb for any illness requiring antibiotics.

For the constipation, what are you feeding your kitty? If you are feeding canned food, you can add in some plain canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) to her food to see if that helps move things along. You can also try adding in some fish oil, if she will tolerate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you for your advice. I hadn't considered that she might be purposely holding her stool as a side effect of the UTI. I will try more miralax and maybe add fish oil to her diet on a regular basis. I tried pumpkin a while back to stimulate her appetite, Speedy will not eat it (nor goat's milk, chicken broth, nutrical, laxatone...)

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh! Second dose of miralax last night, poop this morning! I was nervous about using this but it really works!

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly one month later, the UTI is back. Speedy finished her course of Baytril only 2 weeks ago and this morning was back to her old symptoms. We were unable to see our regular vet today, I had to see her partner who I'm sure is competent but just doesn't know us.

So we got an injection of Covenia and a three-day course of 6 mg Onsior at home. Has anyone used this combo for UTI?

Speedy might not be able to pee in her box but in her anger at the vet, she took the opportunity to hate-pee on the x-ray machine! Luckily the vet caught a sample which will go out for analysis and culture. The x-ray shows no obstruction but the sonogram shows her bladder wall is quite thick, indicating perhaps chronic inflammation. The lab work will take a few days but it's likely either a stubborn infection or sterile cystitis.

Seems like these two medicines might each have some adverse side effects and I am interested to hear what people think. Speedy is limited in what she can take, she already takes 4 heart meds for HCM/CHF. The vet would ordinarily not give Onsior, her first choice (steroid) and her second choice are both no-go for cardiac patients.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness, hate-pee...good on the vet for the catch :thumbsup:
I'm sorry to hear that this is happening for you - all . I'm sending my very best, healing thoughts!