Having two cats vs one cat - which is easier/better?

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard lots about how it's better to raise two kittens together than a single kitten because they can keep each other company, burn off a lot of energy playing with each other, and learn not to play too roughly with a cat friend.

However, I've also heard stories of cats who grew up together and got along fine suddenly starting to fight, and having more than one cat can create issues like one cat bullying the other and preventing them from eating or using the litterbox, among other problems.

I'd love to hear from people who have a lot of experience with having both one cat and two or more cats in the household at a time and what your thoughts are on whether it's ultimately better and easier to have one or two+ cats.

I'm curious because I currently have a single cat but he is very energetic and cat social and I think he would love a friend, especially if I ever need to stop working from home. However, I'm leery of potential cat politics which could make things a nightmare especially since my living space is too small accommodate separating two cats in the long term if the need arose.

In any case, I'm also not sure my budget could support two cats right now, but I'm thinking into the future for the possibility that I may one day need to spend more time working in an office.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Easier? One. They can be more demanding and needy, especially when young, but two is twice the chance of scratching your furniture, making a ruckus at 3 am, and does carry some fairly small or at worst modest risk of eventually fighting.

Better for the cats? Clearly two since you are talking two kittens. Two kittens always become friends (although yes, fighting is possible down the road). Two will lead to more play, and keep them healthier.

More entertaining? Its fun to watch cats play together, and even if they each want to play/interact/snuggle with you 60% as much as a single cat, thats more desire to play/interact/snuggle overall. Thats a made up % anyway, when I've had two or three they are generally very affectionate and want a ton of attention. Overall, I'd say two.

Overall, I'd say two unless you have a studio or one bedroom. Personally, I wouldn't do two in a small apartment ever again. Its not much fun having two roughhousing at 3 am in a small apartment. I'm too poor a sleeper for that nonsense, although maybe it wouldn't bother a youngin.

Disclaimer: I never had just one cat, although I've twice had an older cat that ignores a younger cat, which is similar.

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am probably not the best one to be responding. I have always had just one cat at a time. They all did well by themselves even when I worked full time. They were all rescues and none of them were under the age of 6 months old. So, a kitten is probably a bit different story.

On the flip side, each of my cats when they started to age had some sort of illness that - to me - would have made it harder to deal with if there had been more than one cat. The differences in their care requirements, the bond between them if one should pass, etc. are things to add to your consideration. With any luck, you are talking about years and years of caretaking before that time could occur, but you do have to take age related health issues into your equation.

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I absolutely would love to hear more about peoples experiences with one v two cats.

I really feel like my humphrey would love to have a friend. He's such an agreeable cat that enjoys being stimulated and playing, I feel like another cat providing they get along w humphrey would be so great for him. But i am in a similar situation - one bedroom apartment and just not wanting the financial strain of having 2 cats. I've also heard that 2 is better than 1 but have also heard of horror stories of cats bullying the 'weaker' one and cat politics making the entire living situation really a nightmare.

I would love to have another cat for Humphrey if i lived in a house with a backyard but until then, it's just him and I

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had five cats, and never fewer than two by choice. Last time I had one cat was for less than a week, after Maddie died, and it was obvious Phoebe was pining. I looked on the local RSPCA website. Daisy had just been put up for adoption and was the only cat marked as suitable to live with other cats, so I applied immediately. She and Phoebe get along great, and have adapted to living in a little bedsit (my cats have been indoor-only for well over a decade).