Having to Put my baby down tomorrow

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking. My Oscar was diagnosed with a fistula in the roof of his mouth that has turned out to be cancer. He has problems swallowing and eating it’s not easy for him to get anything down and has gotten bronchitis as a result. He essentially gags every-time he tries to eat. He is still alert and still jumps up when I open a can of food. I’ve never had to put a cat down that hasn’t told me it’s time. It really hurts but I know this isn’t quality of life for him living this way. I need some words for encouragement.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I know that making this decision is one of the hardest things ever. Maybe you need to get a bit more reassurance from the vet ahead of time. No chance of feeding tube? I don’t know if the cancer is causing him pain but maybe it’s better to save him that. I know when I have had to do this, I guess I just wanted to know I had exhausted all good possibilities and my kitty could not have any more good time left. Your vet can help you to reach that point so you can make peace with the decision. It’s always a hard one. I know you will ask all the questions needed and then do what is best for Oscar. You have given him a good life, love and will be there for him no matter what. That is the best any living creature can ever have. My heart is with you and Oscar and will continue to be. :grouphug2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The feeding tube was an option offered but I would have to assure he never eats anything. The hole is also so big it’s affecting his breathing as well it can’t be closed. I know it’s the right thing to do he has lost a lot of weight as well. I don’t want him to get any worse and suffer more.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry there are no options but if you’ve ever been in a position of suffering, you know it takes a lot to keep going. The greatest thing you can do for him when all hope for a good life is gone is to love him enough to give him freedom. It takes great love to do that but I can see that you have that. You’ll both be in our thoughts and hearts.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will be one of the hardest situations you will ever have to go through. This is something that has strength from the deepness of your love. No matter what you have decided it will bring pain, doubt and all those should haves, could haves,because it always does. It has a name, it is called grieving.......
When a condition is not curable, when it brings pain and a struggle to get through every day activities, when you know it holds a future of worse pain, of deepening struggles, it is time to end that pain. No one EVER wants to be the one to decide. Let someone who has seen this, knows what is coming, be your guide. Get a second opinion if necessary, but talk frankly with your vet. They don't have the emotional attachment that can cloud vision. They know what has to be done. My vet always says, 'If it was MY cat,....." and I trust him. Trust yours.
You can't let your little one suffer. When all fails, or promises more struggles and pain, it is time to end that pain. Only you will know when. We will help you through this, almost all of us have stood in your shoes. No matter how much you prepare yoruself for what is coming, it will still bring you to your knees. It takes a long, long time to heal a broken heart.
Try to remember, that if the situation was reversed, how much pain and suffering would you want to go through before your loved one would end that suffering? When there is no hope for a pain free future, when there is no cure, it is time. Try to hold on to the fact that love is spiritual, so eternal. That "Death cannot take that which never dies". That your sweet Oscar would want you to go on and live the rest of your life seeking happiness and seeing the beauty that living brings. That he will forever be only a thought and a prayer away. Living on through you and continuing to send his love. Thanking you for a wonderful life and only wanting to be remembered and held in yoru heart. because that is love......
I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, please come here whenever you need. Let us share the pain you will have, and pray for little Oscar to be at peace, secure in the knowledge that he is well loved, and will be forever.......

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The feeding tube was an option offered but I would have to assure he never eats anything. The hole is also so big it’s affecting his breathing as well it can’t be closed. I know it’s the right thing to do he has lost a lot of weight as well. I don’t want him to get any worse and suffer more.
It sounds like you're are making the right choice. This is about what is best for Oscar. You will spare him a lot of pain and anxiety. This is part of the price of love. Our thoughts are with you. Many, if not all of us, here can understand what you are going thru. When he has crossed and you are ready....come back here for support.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
di and bob said everything so eloquently that I too, agree with what they said regarding loss and grieving. Adding I also have had to make that dreadful decision for the sake of my beloved pets. Since I’m 60 and have had many cats (and beloved dogs especially Makita), I know how emotional and painful this decision is. What I do know is your beloved Oscar will live on in your memories and heart. I’m so sorry, and know that you’re a good cat parent 😢🙏🏻