Having Second thought about my first new kitten.

ShaylaMS1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,
As by the title of this post you can tell I’m a new cat mom I was just hoping you guys can give me some new advice about what’s happening to me.

Since I was a little girl I’ve always wanted a Cat/Kitten and now that I finally have one I feel like I’m a not best fit to have. I only had my kitten for 3 days but and I feel like I can’t do it. He’s a very hyper kitten and I try to play every minute but I work from home so it’s difficult at the same time, so I try to give him toys to keep him busy and it does keep him occupy for a little but them he meows every time I walk away, and sometimes I have be on a zoom call and it’s hard. Also,I’m worried that when I’m asleep he’s just going to be going crazy and I don’t want him to get hurt or break anything so I get anxiety about that, so I try to get him to get used to having a sleeping schedule but it’s just not working.

I’ve been beating myself up about this for a while and I don’t know if I can do this and be a best fit for my kitten, the adoption place said I can return my kitten or put him back up for adoption anytime, I guess what I’m saying please help me and give me some advice, and about me having second thoughts, and have me not give up at and give it time.

If you don’t mind answering these questions and give me some encouragement down below.
•should I give him up for adoption and have him be in a family that gives him more attention.

•should I wait a week or two to see if things go well and give him time.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
8f851ea1c6fdecc2f36ee43030d3f2ec.gif
ShaylaMS1, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
83b628873c7a2419b34230feadd8daf9.jpg
to you and your new kitten.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Great to hear that finally you've gotten yourself a kitty. As with a new kitten, it is always a time of getting use to the kitten and vice-versa. Your kitten will meow quite a bit as he is in a new environment and also having left his momma and siblings, you are the best next of kin to him and therefore he needs all the attention from you.

Since he's a kitten and new to the place, it's best if you can start training him to do the things you want him to do but in many cases, it's not very easy as cats have their own mind but don't give up as they can be trained. Things like eating at the same place, giving scheduled feeding and a clean litter box each time and also train him to sleep with you. It takes a while for him to get accustom to it all but it can be done so don't give up.

It's not very good for the kitten to be returned as it will confuse him and he'll feel unloved. You can give him all the love and attention he needs and I believe you'll give him the best so that he can have a wonderful life with you.

Give him time and give yourself time. A few days is not enough to find out about each other.

Here are some important articles for you to read in taking care of a new cat :-

first-time-cat-owners-guide

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide

new-cat-checklist-what-you-need-to-get-before-bringing-kitty-home

help-new-cat-adjust-to-home

kitten-proofing-your-home-13-practical-tips

9-tips-that-will-help-your-kitten-adapt-to-a-new-apartment

cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home

household-chemicals-and-your-cats

52-reasons-why-cats-must-get-inside-boxes

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats

There are many more good articles here :- c and to have all your questions answered, best is that you start a new thread here in cat-behavior.5 where more members visit and they may be able to help you answer your questions.

Do post photos of your kitty for us to see and what's his name?

Feel free to ask any questions and post them under the right forum headings to get a speedier reply and there's no such thing as a stupid question here.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you’re having second thoughts but if you give it more time you’ll see how great it is. You don’t have to give him attention every second. Get him toys and when you’re on a zoom call put him in another room with his food and litter box. He’s fine.
Sometimes when I realize I’m being outrageous and not doing something because of the cats I have to remind myself that they ARE animals. As much as I love them I still have to live my life normally. I’m talking specifically about family vacation and feeling sooo guilty about going.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One more thing. Our new kitten is a cry baby. He cries when it's time to eat, when it's time to sleep, when he wakes up, when he's walking around looking for Lulu, on the way to the vet, on the way home from the vet...you get the picture. :) He's the happiest, friendliest, cutest cat but he cries to communicate, and he communicates a lot! We weren't used to that and always thought something was wrong.

I don't think I've ever met a non-hyper kitten either. I had one kitten that used to run from the kitchen, through the living room and leap onto the curtains and hang there, twisting back and forth.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's only three days and everything is new to you both. Don't give him back, give him m a chance to settle and for you both to get to know each other. Every time I've had a kitten I'm amazed at how active they are but it doesn't last forever. Just relax, enjoy him, they soon grow up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new cat mom. :bouquet: And rest assured, you're not the first member to post wondering if they'd made a mistake adopting a kitten/cat. Most of the time everything works out and feline and human live happily ever after. There has been the occasional member who did return the kitten/cat, but those cases were specific to the member's situation, and not something that would apply to every new cat parent.

So I say give it more time for you to adjust to being a cat mom. And ask us here at TCS if you have any questions / concerns about your new kitten.

How old is he, btw? Is he eating and using the litter box ok? Has he been for a vet checkup yet? If not, that's always a good idea.

As for him being hyper, that's totally normal. And meowing, some cats are more vocal than others.

And as for him wanting to join in on your Zoom meetings, it's totally fine to put him in a kitten proofed room at those times, and at other times when you want him to be somewhere safe, like when you need to run errands. As long as he has food, water, litter box and kitten safe toys, he'll be fine. Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite

I think you'll be fine too, once you get used to the responsibilities, and changes in your life, now that you're a cat mom. Good luck. Keep us posted. And feel free to post pics of your sweetie kitten. How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi ShaylaMS1 :hithere: and welcome to the forum !

I just wanted to inform you that...............with all this free excellent advice on managing life with Tazmanian DevilsKittens.....comes a TCS Kitten Tax.

So, you can't simply post pleasantries, like "Thank you" and the like :nono: ..........you must post pics! Pics, pics, lots of pics:hyper:

Oh, and.........he simply cannot remain anonymous............so, this "My kitten" business is no longer an option:headshake:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, you have gotten some excellent advice here, and I can't add much to it. DO feel fine about putting him in another room with toys, litter box, food and water while you are on Zoom conferences, or just need an hour of undisturbed work. ALL kittens are hyper little maniacs for the first few months. Or they are if they are healthy and normal.

And yes, we want pics AND A NAME! I do not want to call your new baby "Whatshisface" forever!

DanielFelix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Shayla,

please do not take this the wrong way, i dont know you but you women do tend to go off emotions a lot, and when i read your post i'm getting a feeling you may be writing this from a place of fear or even panic.

I want to let you know that when these emotions pass it will all look a lot brighter. Having a young kitten can be overwhelming, but I am sure if you give it some time then things will start to settle down eventually. And you will 100% look back and read this post some time in thd future and you will be so happy that you didn't return your new friend!!

best of luck,
Daniel

DanielFelix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Shayla,

please do not take this the wrong way, i dont know you but you women do tend to go off emotions a lot, and when i read your post i'm getting a feeling you may be writing this from a place of fear or even panic.

I want to let you know that when these emotions pass it will all look a lot brighter. Having a young kitten can be overwhelming, but I am sure if you give it some time then things will start to settle down eventually. And you will 100% look back and read this post some time in thd future and you will be so happy that you didn't return your new friend!!

best of luck,
Daniel
PS. If you know anyone who has owned cats for a few years I would encourage you to tell them about the situation! I'm sure they can put your mind at ease better than anyone in here can over just a text message

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Kitten being hyperactive and wanting to play a lot is normal, infact a Kitten that just lays around and hides is probably ill or injured and should be taken to see a vet.

How old is he? Kittens younger than 8 weeks (really should be 10) have been taken from their mother too early and have not learned a lot of lessons like proper behavior and why not to scratch and bite, they just don't realize it's painful for their victim and many grow up "playing rough" because they were never taught otherwise.

You may want to consider adopting or fostering another Cat to help teach him boundaries if it's becoming too much for you, and to help burn off some of his energy. They'll keep eachother company so he's not always trying to jump and climb on you while you're working.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I felt very similarly when I brought minish into my apartment and for several months afterwards. It was so much fun when I wanted interaction with her, but it was quite scary or overwhelming when she demanded things (ın the form of crying, jumping on my back hanging from her claws, chewing my hair, biting my toes...) then I thought she has the right to demand things since we are partners in life now and she has no one else to turn to. I better learn what she wants and how to provide without becoming her slave or crash dummy.
Then I did what you have done and get advice. I also learned whatever I could about this amazing creature, usually in the form of "why do cats...?"
All of this during the last months of my PhD and I don't regret any second of it. I have ended up with a wonderful teammate in this stressful life..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShaylaMS1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s been good thank you for checking up on me I think I was stressing because I wasn’t used to having a cat because the only pet I’ve ever owed was a fish but now we both got used to each and now I love him very much :) thank you so much for checking up on me ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShaylaMS1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,
As by the title of this post you can tell I’m a new cat mom I was just hoping you guys can give me some new advice about what’s happening to me.

Since I was a little girl I’ve always wanted a Cat/Kitten and now that I finally have one I feel like I’m a not best fit to have. I only had my kitten for 3 days but and I feel like I can’t do it. He’s a very hyper kitten and I try to play every minute but I work from home so it’s difficult at the same time, so I try to give him toys to keep him busy and it does keep him occupy for a little but them he meows every time I walk away, and sometimes I have be on a zoom call and it’s hard. Also,I’m worried that when I’m asleep he’s just going to be going crazy and I don’t want him to get hurt or break anything so I get anxiety about that, so I try to get him to get used to having a sleeping schedule but it’s just not working.

I’ve been beating myself up about this for a while and I don’t know if I can do this and be a best fit for my kitten, the adoption place said I can return my kitten or put him back up for adoption anytime, I guess what I’m saying please help me and give me some advice, and about me having second thoughts, and have me not give up at and give it time.

If you don’t mind answering these questions and give me some encouragement down below.
•should I give him up for adoption and have him be in a family that gives him more attention.

Update: 10/21/2020
I would like to say thank you to everyone for taking your time to come post and help me and give me advice. I was a little stressed out the first couple of 3 days because I never owed a Cat/Kitten before only a fish so I wasn’t used to him, now we both got used to each other and things are getting more easier I love him very much. Once again thank you so much for giving me advice and being nice about it and not being rude :). In the future I’m probably coming back ask for some advice but right now I’m all good. Once again thank you <3 ;)

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s been good thank you for checking up on me I think I was stressing because I wasn’t used to having a cat because the only pet I’ve ever owed was a fish but now we both got used to each and now I love him very much :) thank you so much for checking up on me ;)
I'm glad you're getting used to each other! It took some time with Toffee, Fudge and I but now we are a very close trio. :)

Minnie_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,

It sounds like you maybe very overwhelmed. Last year I was in the same position. I got my female kitten a few days before my birthday. My bro and his gf gifted her to me because they knew I would be a good mom to her. I was worried because I had never had a female cat let alone a kitten. So before she become my baby cat my thoughts were bouncing about my head like bees in a hive. I started doing my research and started a Pinterest board for things I could reference later. I found this forum. I picked my brother's girlfriend's brain because she had worked with animals before.
It'll be a year next Friday that I have been a cat Mom and I am glad that I can call her mine. And better yet, most days my cat is happy to be mine, I mean she's happy to have me as her assistant, lol. I understand the jitters. I had them. It'll be alright. This forum seems to be a great wealth of information and support. Be patient with yourself and kitten. and love on your kitten.