Having problems with Jack

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack is my oldest cat (11), and he has been having ear problems (just one ear) for the past 6 months. No mites are present, just continuous black stuff and pus drainage. After 3 rounds of antibiotics oral, and continuous ear drops, his ear is basically unchanged. So now he will be going in on Thursday morning to the vet for a collection of deep inner ear swab for a cutlture to see what is growing. He most likely won't let them get the swab without having to be sedated, so he will get a senior panel done first (the vet runs it at the office) and then will be sedated for the swab. He will get to come back home to me in the afternoon. I am afraid of the sedation on him, don't want something to go wrong while he is under, and I am also afraid of the culture results..The vet said if it is a pseudomonis infection, that there is no treatment for that..I am hoping for good results from his visit, and for good culture readings, so that we can find something to help cure it.

Any good vibes for Jack will be greatly appreciated.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Poor Jack!
I hope they can find out whats causing it and I hope he will cope with all the poking around.
Good Luck Jack
And for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately I may have to work on Thursday, but my sister will take him in and stay with him until I get home after she picks him up..I will post an update on him Thursday eve. I get home from work around 8pm CST. Again, thanks.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
aw, poor guy! lots of vibes that it isn't the pseudomonis {{{{{}}}}}}}

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet today and went ahead and scheduled him for a teeth cleaning also if he is going to be sedated...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy. For obvious reasons, I think he's especially gorgeous!

And my thoughts are with him for tomorrow.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the appointment-my senior cat Ox has continous bacterial infections in one ofhis ears that I have to apply drops in-its not fun for wither of us!

missy ro-ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope things go well today at the vet, let us know! I remember taking my little Anya to the vet twice a week for months last year, she was so sick with URI's, bad vaccine reactions, and a deep tissue infection. She was very unhappy and had to be sedated most of the time to get through it! But she's all good now.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well things went well today with Jack, no reactions to the sedation. Now we just have to wait for about 2 weeks for the culture back to see how to treat his ear.

Thanks for all the good vet visit vibes..

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vibes coming that way.I hope they can find out what's wrong and cure him for good.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news. We got Jack's ear culture results back and it is a bacteria that is treatable with Clindamycin. So he is on that for the next 10 days. I am so happy!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that Jack is not well

I have to question your vet though when he said that Pseudomonas Infections are incurrable. It's difficult to treat, but not impossible. I don't know why he would say somethingl like that.

Treatment

Medications

Because P. aeruginosa is commonly resistant to antibiotics, infections are usually treated with two antibiotics at once. Pseudomonas infections may be treated with combinations of ceftazidime (Ceftaz, Fortraz, Tazicef), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), imipenem (Primaxin), gentamicin (Garamycin), tobramycin (Nebcin), ticarcillin-clavulanate (Timentin), or piperacillin-tazobactam (Zosyn). Most antibiotics are administered intravenously or orally for two to six weeks. Treatment of an eye infection requires local application of antibiotic drops.

Surgery

Surgical treatment of pseudomonas infections is sometimes necessary to remove infected and damaged tissue. Surgery may be required for brain abscesses, eye infections, bone and joint infections, ear infections, heart infections, and wound infections. Infected wounds and burns may cause permanent damage requiring arm or leg amputation.

Prognosis

Most pseudomonas infections can be successfully treated with antibiotics and surgery.

Originally Posted by catsRNmom

Jack is my oldest cat (11), and he has been having ear problems (just one ear) for the past 6 months. No mites are present, just continuous black stuff and pus drainage. After 3 rounds of antibiotics oral, and continuous ear drops, his ear is basically unchanged. So now he will be going in on Thursday morning to the vet for a collection of deep inner ear swab for a cutlture to see what is growing. He most likely won't let them get the swab without having to be sedated, so he will get a senior panel done first (the vet runs it at the office) and then will be sedated for the swab. He will get to come back home to me in the afternoon. I am afraid of the sedation on him, don't want something to go wrong while he is under, and I am also afraid of the culture results..The vet said if it is a pseudomonis infection, that there is no treatment for that..I am hoping for good results from his visit, and for good culture readings, so that we can find something to help cure it.

Any good vibes for Jack will be greatly appreciated.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

Good news. We got Jack's ear culture results back and it is a bacteria that is treatable with Clindamycin. So he is on that for the next 10 days. I am so happy!!!
That IS great news!! WTG JACK!!!