Having issues with my 5 yr boy cat Ted

Jeanien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5yr fixed male cat. 6 days ago he started hiding behind my toilet and in closet. Took him to the vet. We did a urine test. No signs of crystals or urinary infection. My problem is is on antibiotics. He's eating and drinking when I put it in front of him. He is peeing and pooping with me physically putting him in the litter. BUT. He hasn't walked or got outta my bed in 4 days. !!!! He seems fine until I put him down. On the floor or in the litter he just cowers

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he has no infection, why is he on antibiotics? Although antibiotics can make a cat feel lethargic - some more than others - it would seem that something happened in your home/outside your home that freaked him out - before the antibiotics were started, if he just got them at the vet visit.

Any changes in the household that he could be reacting to? Carpet cleaning, new/moved furniture, visiting pet, etc. - you get the idea. Remember, it can be a very minor thing to you but mean big things to him. Or, any new cats outside the home that he can smell, hear, see? Think back to what was going on right before his behavioral change, and see if you can determine what might have affected him so much.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's eating and drinking when I put it in front of him.
Does he eat and drink as much as he always has? With the same amount of "enthusiasm" that was normal for him?

When he's in the litter doing his thing, does his posture seem normal, any chance of pain?

Does he go outside at all? Any chance of an injury that could have abscessed? Infections can be well hidden under the fur, but still be painful.

Pain in any form, like a problem with the mouth or teeth (issues eating drinking) or from an injury can result in hiding.

And like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned, I would also do some investigative work to see what may have scared him. It does seem more like something like that but try to pay attention if pain could be the culprit too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeanien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He only lays how and has tail tuked. For the first couple days he wouldn't even come.out for treats. But since I got him on my bed as long as I put the food in front of him.hell eat a food amount . I did check around the house to see if anything scared him didn't find anything. He is a inside vat nwbwr been out

Jeanien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He wants to be pet and even rolls on his back. But the min I set him.down off the bed he cowers. Lastnight he peed and pooped but put him in the litter box. And he just lays in the litter .But does go.
And no signs of leg injury or anything else no mouth sores.no fever . It's like everything is normal but he won't get up and so what he needs to

Jeanien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The min i saw him.scared and cowering.i did check my apt to see if anything dropped.or something that would scare him. Found nothing. The vet said he might have a infection.so he said let's try antibiotics. I'm going to do bloodwork on Monday. I just wish I could figure it out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bloodwork is a good idea. The sitting in the litter box is disturbing, but I think it may only be because he doesn't want to venture onto the floor by himself. Sad part is if it is an infection, not all antibiotics work on all infections - so, that is pretty much a 'shot in the dark'. I hope it works; but, I would now be frequently checking the areas around your specific apartment for some animal/noise/etc. he may be sensing. He can hear/smell/sense things above/below/beside you that you can't. I think this aspect has something to do with it.

Keep feeding him/giving him water - and as crazy as it sounds, put his litter box on the bed (instead of taking him to it on the floor) and see if he will go to it on his own and not lay in it afterward.

Jeanien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. It my first time on here. And I truly appreciate all the info.
I'll keep you all posted for further knowledge if I do find out what it is. Fingers crossed on the bloodwork Monday.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
is there a chemical you are using to clean the floor with that is new. What about trying a mat or a rug area in the house , will he walk on a rug instead of the floor ? Did you walk in the house with some chemical on your shoe that you are not aware of from outside the house ?

Maybe he has joint pain of some sort ? Possibly happened when he jumped of the bed to the floor had a scary slip which freaked him out and is scared of the floor now ?

When you mean floor, is your house all tiled floor wooden floor or all carpet. Will he walk on carpet ? seems like he prefers soft bed, try putting your blanket on the floor, and put your cat on the blanket, does he still cowers ?

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also have you tried letting him walk on a kitchen bench or table , does he still cowers ?

Jeanien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update.
So I have appt at the vet today to give him bloodwork. I woke up today. And he was already up for the 1st time in a week he was off my bed. Used his litter ate breakfast and played with his sister. So I'm guessing whatever was wrong the antibiotics are working. Still gonna take him for bloodwork. But today is a huge difference. And yes there's nothing in my apt diffrent that would have bugged him. I've checked everything.