Having a hard time getting cats used to each other

Razzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know what I'm supposed to do, was even told here on this very website, but because of the cat's behaviors and my parents' different ideas on what to do, well, I'm having trouble doing it.

Specifically, I want to feed my cat, Marzipan, on one side of a door and have my parents' cats, Percy and Ashton, eat on the other side.
Percy and Ashton are almost completely outdoor cats, and Percy will only come in for a quick moment before running right back out, and my mom babies Ashton and doesn't seem interested in trying the door thing the few times he's indoors.
I bought a harness originally to see if I can let Marzipan see them while keeping her from attacking them, then the more I thought about it I realized she'd be too stressed to learn or adapt.

I WOULD just not worry about this too much as Marzipan just runs around the house all day and sleeps at night when the other two are indoors, but winter is coming so Percy and Ashton will need to be indoors more frequently.
Any tips?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Clicker train cats.click-Maggie come-treat. Do you have a tower? Different places to make their territory? One of my cats I have lock her in my bedroom when I feed her or she will eat my other cats food. If you. It is actually better if peaches doesn't see my other cats then she will eat too fast. If my cat sees her she will walk away. Maybe your situation is different?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about feeding on opposite sides of the door. I know thats in the Jackson Galaxy guide, but I don't recall it even being in this site's introduction guide, and its not essential. Its true that if indoor/outdoor cats can avoid the vicinity of the new cat, it really slows down the introduction. Sometimes people with a big house have this issue as well. And maybe the door feeding thing is more useful in these situations, thats definitely possible. Worst case though, even if the indoor outdoor cats arent spending enough time indoors and near the new cat for the introduction to really get anywhere right now, like you mentioned, when winter comes they will spend more time inside and the introduction can gain steam and go faster. You can also try luring with play/toys or treats to get some time closer to the door, but again, I don't think its needed unless your in a rush, and it may not help that much in any event.

Do you have a gate/visual access step planned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Razzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about feeding on opposite sides of the door. I know thats in the Jackson Galaxy guide, but I don't recall it even being in this site's introduction guide, and its not essential. Its true that if indoor/outdoor cats can avoid the vicinity of the new cat, it really slows down the introduction. Sometimes people with a big house have this issue as well. And maybe the door feeding thing is more useful in these situations, thats definitely possible. Worst case though, even if the indoor outdoor cats arent spending enough time indoors and near the new cat for the introduction to really get anywhere right now, like you mentioned, when winter comes they will spend more time inside and the introduction can gain steam and go faster. You can also try luring with play/toys or treats to get some time closer to the door, but again, I don't think its needed unless your in a rush, and it may not help that much in any event.

Do you have a gate/visual access step planned?
I don't own a gate, so unsure what to do about that part anyways.
I feel like we need the door or gate or something like that though since Marzipan is being a bit aggressive with the other cats when she gets the chance.
Percy actually fights back and scratched her eyelid at one, which scared me since that was so close to getting her eye!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Razzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can make a gate from home depot stuff. Pictures in here: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Work hard to prevent them from having a chance to fight, it tends to set everything back.
I think a gate that would work like a door to upstairs might be our best bet for a gradual, safe meeting.
I say 'like a door' because I want to be able to walk into the blocked off area without too much trouble to keep Marzipan company if possible.