Have you used cat calming chews before?

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am a foster, and I've tried calming chews with my nervous charges before with mixed results. I have a couple of very shy girls who aren't progressing very fast, and I thought I'd try calming chews again. Do you use them with any success, and if so, what brand? Thanks in advance for your help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

There is Rescue Remedy that may help. Some people have had your experience with any calming product and some like feliway although my boy was unaffected.

You could also try cat music, it can be amazing. Classical harp music, You Tube, Relax My Cat, or Musicforcats . com.

I have this list, for possible options;
Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used Composure calming chews on shy, fearful cats with good results. Yet I have often found that the chews are somewhat hard and quite large. Some cats do not like the taste of them. Also when a cat is very shy or fearful, it may take a doubled dosage (per package instructions). This would mean 2 chewies 2x a day. I prefer to use Composure liquid max. It is easy to mix into wet food and palatable. I used to double the dosage during waking hours and then give a smaller dose at night time. It worked much better for my cats than the chewies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, for your very detailed answers. I ordered some Composure chews but I had no idea it came in liquid. I much rather mix something with food rather than try and entice a shy kitty to eat a particular treat. Fingers crossed it will help these two.

I haven't tried Bach's Rescue Remedy, but have heard good things about it. I'll pick up some of that too.

I also use several Feliway plug ins with pretty good results; mainly, when the resident cats are at each other's throats, I usually find an empty Feliway diffuser. I am also a big fan of gentle music, and I love Relax My Cat on YouTube in particular. I just wish there was something like Xanax for cats, a medication they can take very day, to take the edge off so socialization goes much faster. Gabapentin is helpful prior to vet visits but I don't think it's been studied as a daily medication. Someday!