Have you started getting ready for Christmas yet?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already bought a couple of gifts for hubby, things I saw months ago on sale, I've also already bought some random stuff for his stocking. Again, when I saw stuff on sale...
I have a cart full of stuff on my Amazon account, but haven't pulled the trigger yet on those, just need to fine tune it a bit more.
I unfortunately have been home sick with covid this week...I FINALLY GOT IT!!!...I'm feeling fine though. Hubby got it first and brought it home. But because I feel decent, it feels mostly like a cold for me, I decided to get a head start on my Christmas baking. I'm limited to making things where I already have the ingredients on hand as I can't go to the store just yet. Today is day 5 for me, so this weekend I'll be allowed to venture out in public.
I was sick with a cold 3 weeks ago as well, so that's when I did all my planning and on-line pre shopping. I actually felt worse with my cold then I do now with covid...the sinusitis is a bit of a PITA, but hey...considering what could happen...I'll take it!
Anyway, I started a tradition when my nieces were born, that every Christmas I get them an ornament. I found the ones that "called to me" last week and picked them up. They are these little snow globes with one large sparkly snowflake in it. They're so pretty. My sister is supposed to let me know what the girls want this year, but she might simply buy something "from me" and I'll just pay her back. She started that when covid first hit...Just bought all the gifts off amazon or other online sources and divvied them up between the family. It worked really well, and she mentioned that she might just continue to do it. She knows my budget and it's one less thing I need to worry about, so why not? The girls are in their "pre-teen" years, so I find it difficult to get them things, this way they are getting what they will be excited to get. What my sister does is she gets them to each make an online shopping cart as their "wish list" and for ideas of things they like, then she kinda chooses stuff from there.

So far, I made 2 recipes, my shortbread cookies and peanut butter cookies. Today I'm going to make my snickerdoodles, and I could also make my cappuccino flats...after that, I need other ingredients so I'll have to wait for the rest. I have decided that I will be cutting back on my baking this year. The prices of groceries are just too much, but I'm sure my family will understand. My baking is my Christmas gift for family, so I have to get something together...the only people I buy for are my nieces and my hubby...we may be old but we still like to open presents from under the tree on Christmas morning! Most years I would make upwards of 20 or more different recipes so I could have a beautiful tray display with lots of variety. This year I'm keeping it to about 10, including of course, all the favorites.
The real fight will be to try to find room in the freezer for the cookies...I think I have a cold game of Tetris in my future! LOL!

Considering how far behind I felt, I was actually pretty worried, I think I'm doing OK now, so hopefully I can keep up the momentum.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer to celebrate and enjoy every holiday before preparing or thinking about the next one. Since today is Thanksgiving here I'll be cooking and spending it with immediate family. I started hearing Christmas music the same week as Halloween, just too early for me. I know people who start buying Xmas gifts in the summer but I personally don't like to rush the season. Just my preference. :dunno:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I've done is Christmas shopping. I have very few people to shop for, and I'm done with that, so all I have to do is shop for pets! I'll be going on a treat and toy binge on Chewy very soon. :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We started. I did the kitchen last week. We'll seriously start in this weekend with the trees.

I'm done shopping for Dear Richard. His last gift came yesterday via the Smiley Van (Amazon). Now it's just little stocking-type thingies. He and I aren't doing much this year as we need to replenish our checking from the siding bill and to save toward AC next spring. We're giving money to the kids and to the Grands. Last year was a bit of a fiasco with the Grands' gifts and we're not up for a repeat. So they'll get checks with something small to open. Our granddaughter's birthday is Dec 23, so she'll get something extra for her birthday, too.

I'll start on cookies this weekend. I'll make some doughs on Friday and then bake them Saturday. Make more doughs on Saturday and bake them on Sunday. And continue that way for the upcoming week. The kolaches and sticky buns can wait until more toward Christmas. Rick and I will do the roasted peanuts and cashews about a week prior to Christmas.

I'm working on the menu for Christmas dinner with Rick and me. And then the other Christmas dinner with the kids and Grands; I pretty much know what that will be as the Grands have already talked with me.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, gift list is nearly complete. If you wait until after Thanksgiving shipping gets so slow so I like to get everything I order online before the holiday. I will still do a bit of store shopping if weather allows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I added another cookie to the "completed" list. Just finished some ginger snaps!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been buying gifts for a few weeks now, and am almost done. I've done both in store and online, and as susanm9006 susanm9006 mentioned, if you're ordering online, it's best to beat the Black Friday rush. Not to mention, even in store stock will start to get picked over after this weekend.

Last edited:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
yes i have all my christmas ready to be mailed out , gifts for my mom in law and sister in law are wrapped and ready to go

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our Christmas tree has been up with lights but not decorated for about a week. I needed the soothing time. DS kept adding various decorations around the house on me too. Oh well. Both my kids have their bedroom trees up and decorated too.

I try to do the toy type shopping a little early because I've noticed those prices go up in December instead of down. But DD is outgrowing that and I've been so busy with house stuff that I haven't really done as much. I have some stuff put away; but not "everything." I'm also having a harder time for DD without her having much of a list this year. I know what I want to get DH. We are probably keeping the shopping more scaled down this year. Maybe the baking too. DD wants to bring stuff to her small group; but right now i just don't have it in me.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, gift list is nearly complete. If you wait until after Thanksgiving shipping gets so slow so I like to get everything I order online before the holiday. I will still do a bit of store shopping if weather allows.
That's my thing with the shipping too. I've been in the situation where I order something 3-4 weeks before Christmas and it's estimated to not be here before Christmas and I'm biting my nails down to the quick. Plus, I hate thinking about how stressed out the delivery drivers much be during the Christmas season. I still find myself buying little things in store up until my last trip to the store before Christmas Day, that part I think is fun. :)

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes,I'm just about done.I have one gift on the way for hubby,and 1 each for our son and daughter in law and then I am done.I try to get an earlier start so that I'm done come October but not this year.I've been giving some thought as to Christmas dinner,and have some ideas for that,so we'll see how that works out.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do a ton of cookies for us to take to work, but that stopped with retirement. I do a few for the kids, but since we haven’t spent the holidays together since Covid started, I don’t even do that now. When the kids were young, I was usually finished shopping in October. No purchased gifts this year- not in the budget, even for my granddaughter:bawling2:. I did make jams, jellies, salsa and jarred herbs for everyone. Originally it was going to be an added gift to a purchased one. I mailed my daughters yesterday trying to avoid the rush. I gave my youngest son his tonight because he leaves for Oregon in the morning. He is moving there. Haven’t thought about Christmas dinner since it will just be us- don’t really care. I am debating on even putting up the tree this year. I just can’t get into the spirit, with hubby having trouble eating ( he is down to 123 pounds.), Nate moving away, and financial issues, there just doesn’t seem to be much to celebrate. I feel like Scrooge and the Grinch rolled into one.