Have you had success? Aggression in cats.

VioletCat13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I'm sorry if this is repetitive of other threads. It's also quite long but I'm trying to give all the info because I really want help.

I've read and watched YouTube videos with tips on aggressive cats but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had success with this. Did you get to a place of zero attacks and be able to trust your cat, especially around children again?

Our cat is just over 2 years, fixed and up to date with shots.
She has been an absolute calm cat, a great companion for our only child who is 7. We've had her since she was a kitten.

Around 2 months ago she had a redirected aggression attack and took it out mostly on my child. It was directly correlated with seeing a stray our out window that time. She's never been friendly with encounters with other cats but also never took out her anger on us.

Our child understandably was very scared and crying and panicking and I think this made the cat more upset in the first attack 2 months ago.
Our cat has since had more attacks on our child. We got meds from the vet (Zykaline? Not sure on spelling) and I'm not sure they helped much. She's worked her what through the entire bottle.
A few times with other attacks I've wondered if she saw another stray but today the cat was beside me in one part of the house with no outside view and all of a sudden got wide eyed and bushy tailed and ran to our child's room and attacked her. Our child wasn't crying or sounding excited but was talking like she does alot of the times.

When I say attack, it's not a cute feisty play thing. It's the cat screaming, hissing and jumping at our child and then at us when we come to intervene. Our child now just holds still and quiet and the cat will then stop but still watches and is ready to lunge again. So in that sense it's sort of improving but I'm afraid the attacks are more sporadic.

The majority of these attacks have happened in the morning, and one time later on when my child was crying.

We are ready to re home our cat but it's actually our child who wants to keep her, even though they get the brunt of the attacks.

I would love to be able to trust our cat like we used. I'd like to not wonder if the cat is on edge and if I can leave my child and her in another room. I'd like to know that if my child all of a sudden cries that I won't have to worry about reaching her before the cat does. The cat used to run and snuggle our child when she cried.

Has anyone experienced this and was able to actually get to a good place again with their cat?

Hoping to hear some success stories!! But also be realistic with me if there isn't hope.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you are going to keep the cat, you should maybe try one of these:

Amazon.com : motion activated sprinkler

Some people have had success just closing the shades. One person bought elaborate and quite nice looking full window covering overlays (like a giant decal/sticker) at Walmart.

As far as the seven year old crying being a trigger, I'll have to leave that issue for others.

The real danger I see is that if the cat catches the child on the bed or lying on the couch, i.e., has access ot the face, you could get a serious injury. So I am right there with you and would not allow this to linger. Not every pet can be part of a family with children.

Last edited:

Meezers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With anyone who has a pet. The safety of your child comes first. I hope you can retrain your cat that she can continue to be a family pet.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe some calming medication from the vet would help to get things back on track