Have You Ever Not Liked A Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
P.S. you would not believe how many people come here and want to get rid of their cat, neglect their poor kitty or god forbid have anger issues they physically take out on their cat. I’m sorry I took you seriously, next time a winking smiley or jk would help.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, danteshuman

Unfortunately that happens on all animal sites, there is always some jerk who wants to push everyone's buttons. I just got a little chafed because I felt I was being accused of neglecting my bird. Yes, I know the buck stops with me but I did everything I could for her, taking her to an avian vet and treating her with antibiotics for two weeks. But her age (she was 11), and the shock proved too much and she passed away. I carried a lot of guilt about that for a long time.

I agree, and next time I will do a better of job of letting people know, a LOL goes a long way. :)

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry about your watch but I sure wouldn’t consider it horrible behavior as the cat simply sees a toy worthy object, takes it to play with and drops it as they often do in their water.
My cat drops things in his water all the time..I just take it out....I can replace my items..CANT replace my precious cat

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding to my thread, 1 bruce 1.

"You can like and love a cat but not like or love everything that they do all of the time. (I love Baby Girl like she's my child, but I sure didn't love the day she brought a live bird inside and turned it loose"

LOL! At least she didn't hurt the poor thing, that says a lot about her compassion.

I have seen the "bonded" littermates syndrome before, they stick together for protection, it is like 'us against the world' mentality. Interestingly when a mother bear leaves her cubs to fend for themselves they stick together, safety is in numbers.

Some cats can cross over into 'people's world' while others are content to stay in the land of cats.
The bottom line...U CANT put a CAT in a home with birds...rats..hamsters...( UNATTENDED) anything they are proned to eat in the wild...Bad things are going to happen...IMO

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The bottom line...U CANT put a CAT in a home with birds...rats..hamsters...( UNATTENDED) anything they are proned to eat in the wild...Bad things are going to happen...IMO
I have had birds and cats all of my life. After this tragedy I doubt I will ever own any little birds again.

I was there when it happened. I chased Figaro off and he doubled back and before I could get to him he had already knocked down her cage. When I got there she was flying around madly.

Funny, she never would react if one of my other cats went near her cage, but the minute she saw Figaro she would start squawking and lunging at him through the bars of her cage. I guess she knew a bad actor when she saw one.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat drops things in his water all the time..I just take it out....I can replace my items..CANT replace my precious cat

I always hold life over material items, but that watch had belonged to my father and it means the world to me. It still works and I keep it in my top drawer now.:)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never gotten close to a bird but I know people bond deeply with their birds (& vice versa.) I have wanted parakeets forever but have never gotten one because my punk Dante (R.I.P.) would have found a way to kill the precious birdie. I think my current cat would to.

I was thinking though that in all these posts we all forgot to send our condolences for your birds.
0811ED56-7EDF-4E49-AA2E-77BDA9BABCCA.jpeg

I’m sure if Figgy understood he would be apologizing and comforting you.
448A3BAD-E559-43A3-8FCA-F3AFD1D9B733.jpeg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and there are a few (rarer these days) watch repair people. So if your watch needs a tune up, it is a google away.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never gotten close to a bird but I know people bond deeply with their birds (& vice versa.) I have wanted parakeets forever but have never gotten one because my punk Dante (R.I.P.) would have found a way to kill the precious birdie. I think my current cat would to.

I was thinking though that in all these posts we all forgot to send our condolences for your birds.
View attachment 298503

I’m sure if Figgy understood he would be apologizing and comforting you.
View attachment 298504

Thank you, danteshuman, that is very nice of you to say and I love the images. :)

Birds are sociable little clowns who want nothing more than to be close to their special person. I tend to bond more with cats than any other animal but my birds have brought me nothing but joy.

Egg was not hand raised so I could not handle her, but she loved keeping me company by sitting on my shoulder whenever I was working at my desk.

I agree, parakeets are the same size as a robin and a cat won't know the difference.

As far as Fig goes, I would hope he has some measure of decency in him but I just don't know if he truly gets it, or ever will.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the larger exotic birds are actually more of a threat to the cat than the other way around macaws for example have been known to seriously injure a cat or even a dog. They have a bite like a bear trap and can even slice off a person's fingers.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, danteshuman, that is very nice of you to say and I love the images. :)

Birds are sociable little clowns who want nothing more than to be close to their special person. I tend to bond more with cats than any other animal but my birds have brought me nothing but joy.

Egg was not hand raised so I could not handle her, but she loved keeping me company by sitting on my shoulder whenever I was working at my desk.

I agree, parakeets are the same size as a robin and a cat won't know the difference.

As far as Fig goes, I would hope he has some measure of decency in him but I just don't know if he truly gets it, or ever will.
I can’t tell if you’re joking when you say about decency or empathy, as these are rather human concepts, and it’s rather not fair to expect these from a cat. Cats are predators, we managed to make them the way we want them to some extent, but in most the predator instinct will be too strong, and it seems you got one of these.
I’m so sorry that you had to go through this though, seeing one loved animals hurting another loved animal must be truly heartbreaking.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought for a while this was just a joke, but as I read and scrolled along I realized it really is a serious thread.

Figaro seems to be a highly intelligent cat. Yet, even in his feline intelligence he does not know that eating a mice or stealing stuff are wrong. And much as he is "crazy" about you, I also believe he has to be rehomed where he will be an only pet and will have all the attention of his owners by himself. I bet there is somebody out there who would appreciate his craziness, his mouse gift-giving, and everything else in between.

I had fostered several cats before; some I have deeply became attached, and yet some I also felt so frustrated due to behavioral issues. Yet, every time I manage to find them their homes I still get extremely sad and guilty that I had felt that way. Those cats had very rough start in life and most probably had trust and security issues. I should have been much more understanding.

So back to Figaro, I understand that you feel that way. Maybe you and him are not meant to be. Even humans do not sometimes get along with other fellow human beings.

I hope you find him a loving forever home soon.

Goodluck.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had birds and cats all of my life. After this tragedy I doubt I will ever own any little birds again.

I was there when it happened. I chased Figaro off and he doubled back and before I could get to him he had already knocked down her cage. When I got there she was flying around madly.

Funny, she never would react if one of my other cats went near her cage, but the minute she saw Figaro she would start squawking and lunging at him through the bars of her cage. I guess she knew a bad actor when she saw one.
Im so sorry about ure bird...I know birds can be special pets to people also..Never had one..but I know people have them as pets also..But if saying if u get
I always hold life over material items, but that watch had belonged to my father and it means the world to me. It still works and I keep it in my top drawer now.:)
Im so very SORRY about ure birds...ure mice...:alright::heartshape::redheartpump::(JUST TRY AND SEE IT FROM a cats life in the wild..I know it hurts...But its NOT ure kitty's fault or ure fault...Its actually what happens in the wild....But take extra precautions from NOW ON..MAY GOD BE WITH U N ALL URE BABIES

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t tell if you’re joking when you say about decency or empathy, as these are rather human concepts, and it’s rather not fair to expect these from a cat. Cats are predators, we managed to make them the way we want them to some extent, but in most the predator instinct will be too strong, and it seems you got one of these.
I’m so sorry that you had to go through this though, seeing one loved animals hurting another loved animal must be truly heartbreaking.

Thank you for your kind words.

I differ with you in one regard, I do think that animals are capable of empathy. In fact, I have had found cats who would put some people to shame when it comes to that emotion.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words.

I differ with you in one regard, I do think that animals are capable of empathy. In fact, I have had found cats who would put some people to shame when it comes to that emotion.
As a human, you can interpret and label cats’ actions as empathetic but cats do not have the same cultural norms as us nor do they speak our language so it doesn’t make much sense to say that they have empathy - a human linguistic concept.

In fact, it’s dangerous to put these labels on a different species. Should cats then be held responsible for murder when they kill another animal because they should have known better, given that they are capable of empathy? You can see how we can get into some slippery territory here. People can have unrealistic expectations of their cats and misunderstand them as a result of putting these labels on them. Cats are a different species, a predator. They don’t abide by human culture, language, or rules.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the larger exotic birds are actually more of a threat to the cat than the other way around macaws for example have been known to seriously injure a cat or even a dog. They have a bite like a bear trap and can even slice off a person's fingers.

I agree with that! Fred, my Umbrella Cockatoo, was playing with the broom one day while I was watching t.v. I carelessly put my hand on the broom without taking my eyes of the television and got the chomp of my life. My thumb felt like it had been run over by a truck. That was two years ago and I still have some nerve damage.

Now Fred does start things with the cats such as chasing them off of the couch. However, one day he tried to chase a cat who was sick and tired of Fred's antics and decided to stand his ground. Before I could get there the cat had slapped Fred in the face with only his pads- Thank God. Fred stood there rocking back and forth for a few seconds trying to act tough, when that didn't work he quickly jumped down and ran behind me for protection.

From then on, he and the cats are separated.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
As a human, you can interpret and label cats’ actions as empathetic but cats do not have the same cultural norms as us nor do they speak our language so it doesn’t make much sense to say that they have empathy - a human linguistic concept.

In fact, it’s dangerous to put these labels on a different species. Should cats then be held responsible for murder when they kill another animal because they should have known better, given that they are capable of empathy? You can see how we can get into some slippery territory here. People can have unrealistic expectations of their cats and misunderstand them as a result of putting these labels on them. Cats are a different species, a predator. They don’t abide by human culture, language, or rules.

I said empathy, not instincts. I think there are some cats who are completely driven by instincts, while others not so much. I have known many cats who would not hunt and only a handful that did. Most of the time cats "play" with the mouse. Jeff brought me a baby rabbit at two in the morning one time and placed it proudly on my feet. The rabbit was completely uninjured and I took it to my vet the next day. Jeff was a cat who knew the value of life.

I have known animals who have comforted others in their times of need and I have known people who have hearts of stone- they can't feel anything.

I don't think its fair to pigeonhole a species, individual cats are as different from one another as you and I.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I said empathy, not instincts. I think there are some cats who are completely driven by instincts, while others not so much. I have known many cats who would not hunt and only a handful that did. Most of the time cats "play" with the mouse. Jeff brought me a baby rabbit at two in the morning one time and placed it proudly on my feet. The rabbit was completely uninjured and I took it to my vet the next day. Jeff was a cat who knew the value of life.

I have known animals who have comforted others in their times of need and I have known people who have hearts of stone- they can't feel anything.

I don't think its fair to pigeonhole a species, individual cats are as different from one another as you and I.
I know, I also said empathy.
I’m not saying that there isn’t variation in characteristics among cats, I’m saying that empathy is a human cultural concept that you as a human are using to interpret cat behavior. Cats often don’t kill their prey. The act of bringing live animals and dropping them at your feet is common among cats, especially females, who bring live prey to their kittens to practice hunting. You have chosen to interpret this behavior as empathy. What I’m saying is that this interpretation is non-sensical given that cats don’t abide by human linguistic norms and culture.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I also said empathy.
I’m not saying that there isn’t variation in characteristics among cats, I’m saying that empathy is a human cultural concept that you as a human are using to interpret cat behavior. Cats often don’t kill their prey. The act of bringing live animals and dropping them at your feet is common among cats, especially females, who bring live prey to their kittens to practice hunting. You have chosen to interpret this behavior as empathy. What I’m saying is that this interpretation is non-sensical given that cats don’t abide by human linguistic norms and culture.

Had it been merely the mother/kitten instinct she would have brought me a dead or injure animal in the hopes of showing me how to eat it or finish the kill. Jeff did not hunt.

I probably wouldn't have chosen to interpret this one behavior as empathy if it had been in a vacuum but Jeff has displayed a sensitivity towards many situations that I sometimes don't find in people.

We are not the only mammal who understands feelings or has them.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Had it been merely the mother/kitten instinct she would have brought me a dead or injure animal in the hopes of showing me how to eat it or finish the kill. Jeff did not hunt.

I probably wouldn't have chosen to interpret this one behavior as empathy if it had been in a vacuum but Jeff has displayed a sensitivity towards many situations that I sometimes don't find in people.

We are not the only mammal who understands feelings or has them.
Again, it’s your choice to interpret things the way you want as a human. I’m merely noting that cats don’t live in our world nor do they share our language.