Have you ever moved well-attached outdoor rescues?

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Too much backstory to share, but has anyone ever successfully moved well-attached, outdoor-only rescues? We have 4. Two are still widely roaming but come home most days for one or both meals. The other two consider the garage and front yard to be their whole world. There is a chance we will move this year and want to take the cats because they are very much our pets and we have had 3 since birth. Because of my allergies and their love for outdoors, outside is the only option. I am concerned about how they will respond and if they will get aggressive, depressed, or lost. Any thoughts?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you mean how they will respond without thier care taker, they would be much happier with you. Are they easy to pick up? Assuming they are friendly,try to get them adopted, though only outside cats will make it harder.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats sorta moved. Born on my porch disappeared 5 weeks old came back 1 yr old. Lived outside 2 yrs til someone adopted her bff then I took her in. Now afraid of the outdoors and very loving

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved with 3 feral cats, but I made the decision that after the move, they would no longer be free roaming and instead they moved to be inside only cats.

In your situation, you might consider having a catio built. They would still be outside, but free from the dangers of outside. If you do move the cats need to be held somewhere for 3 weeks before allowing them outside to roam. If not, they will do what cats do and try their hardest to find their way back to their former territory. This is the really hard part.

If you do move and leave them behind that would be quite cruel. As you said they are your pets. Research ideas on how to move with cats. When I moved, I had to use cat carriers and lure them into them as they would not go into a trap again. It took awhile to get them used to the carriers. Plan ahead as it takes time to make arrangements and have things built.

Thank you for caring for these kitties. I hope that you can find a solution.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that your best solution is the use of a catio. An out of state friend located two cats several miles from their original home on a school campus that was going to be closed down (she had been caring for them a mile away from her house initially, on a daily basis). She bought a nice sized catio and set it up on her property, trapped them, and moved them to the catio. In her case, she kept them inside for 4 weeks and then allowed them out, an option which is up to you. It successfully worked and they still live on her property and still use the catio and the beds inside.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is recommended that when you move you keep cats indoors/secured from the time that packing starts pre move to 6 months post move to prevent them from running away.

My childhood cat was lost to us because we didn't know this.

Some options we use at home are allergy shots, vacuum with HEPA filter and a HEPA stand up air purifier. Some people shut their bedrooms too.

Outside a heated chicken coop with catio attachment would give them lots of options.

Michiko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had rescued a litter born in my neighbor's yard. Kept them and their outdoor Mom in my screened patio until they were weaned then spay/neutered. Had litter, food, water, and furniture in the patio. Handled the kittens so they were loving and friendly. Kept 2 and found indoor-only homes for the other 2. Mom was an outdoor/patio cat and wouldn't come into the house. After moving to a different house, I couldn't leave Mom behind. Went crazy catching her but brought her inside in the 'new' house. She adjusted to indoor life after hiding for about a week. She's not as friendly as her adult children but she's not 'feral' either. Eats, sleeps on her chair, uses the litter boxes, and hisses at her adult children. She still isn't crazy about humans but she's doing fine healthwise.