Have You Ever Banned Someone From Your House?

Reecejackox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was a child , my mum banned a friend of mine for scribbing on her bed

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, yes. My sister and I have finally bit the bullet and our cousin is no longer welcome in either of our homes.
Our cousin is a druggie, and although we were always supportive and welcoming, and tried to overlook her shortcomings (there's WAY more then just the drugs), this past summer, she made the decision to steal some of my sisters belongings. That was the last straw for us.
It's not the first time she stole from family, but this just felt like so much more of a betrayal due to the circumstances surrounding this theft.
And although she stole from my sister and not me directly, the fact that she sunk to a "new low", especially against my sister who was probably the most supportive out of all our family, means that my home is not safe from her either.
And I just don't want to have to follow her around and have to hide things anymore every time we have a family function.
She's had every chance in the world to change her ways, but unfortunately you can't help those who don't want or aren't ready to get it.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a long list of people banned from our house. We do not like having people over most of the time, but some people just are not welcome. The short official list: Two of my sisters and their husbands, my daughter's ex-boyfriend with whom she is still friends, our former friend who has made racist comments (one reason she is a "former" friend), my parents, his father and stepmother, and, of course, my ex-husband, as well as anyone associated with him. The CPO against my ex makes sure he is well aware of the banning.

Our home is our safe space. We do not want people who are argumentative, judgemental (especially of our relationship), racist, or zealously vocal about their religion in our home. Oh, and if they do not like cats. If anyone in our home is made uncomfortable by someone who comes here, that person need not ever return.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm once for a little while my sister was not allowed in my house (she was addicted to/using crack at the time. She has been sober for over a decade and welcome for over a decade.) If I lived closer to my dad and step mom I would probably ban them but they never come over.

Friend wise if I care enough to uninvited people from my home, I would just write them off in my life in general. But you can’t pick your family.

My family doesn’t talk to me about religion and I don’t start pointing out the obvious flaws. Politics and stuff like that, if it started to get heated I would just end the conversation and walk away.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your home is your sanctuary. If you don't feel comfrotable with someone there, dont invite them in the next time. I agree with the above if you don't feel comfortable around someone, don't have them in your life. I am tolerant of different political/religous views, people are entitled to have their own, I may get upset at times, but I am entitled too and usually just leave. With family, my brother is not welcome in our house for a variety of reasons, most how he treated our parents. Family we meet with on holidays and maybe birthdays but do not socialize with the rest of the year. Exceptions are both sets of parents, my daughter/son in law and grandson, and my youngest brother and sister. we see them quite often.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once banned one of my sons friends when they were around 12 because I caught him shooting nerf darts at the cats. My son lost his nerf gun and was grounded. While I don't have to worry about her coming here, my younger sister in law is not really welcome here. Lots of family drama and I don't want to be involved in it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i've 'banned' people from our home -- my cats and my home. we rarely have visitors, and even more rarely invite them inside our home.

of course, contractors and repairpersons do come to do work occasionally.

RustHeart

The Feral Kitten Wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
I have banned my brother from being part of my life in general. I dislike even calling him my brother and the thought that he was adopted and not technically related to me is comforting. He's destructive, aggressive and always hated me. He has been diagnosed as a psychopath. There was no straw that broke the camel's back, just when I was able to live away from him I made the decision to keep him as far away from me as possible. I will do everything in my power to make sure he doesn't know where I live and I do not care what happens to him. I can't remember a single childhood memory that makes me happy involving him. I am 100 percent sure he will get into drugs, rape or kill someone and end up in jail. I am afraid for my foolish sister who still interacts with him but I am not going to let him kill me. He's had too my chances and opportunities. Even if he starts to get better I will never risk being near him.

RustHeart

The Feral Kitten Wrangler
Young Cat
Purraise
Also when I still lived with my parents I made a zero tolerance policy with him handling or even touching my rats. My parents were peeved for some reason about this and got another rat that I had to let him hold. Luckily he quickly lost interest and I did not hold that rat around him to remind him of her existence. He proved that my fear was entirely warranted. He took videos of throwing the cats, including our brain damaged and blind cat.