Have you applied for health care in the ACA exchanges?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just wondering if anyone has actually applied for health care in the "Obamacare" exchanges that opened Tuesday.  I went in and looked at it, but since I wouldn't be eligible for any subsidy (I make too much money and my employer has a health care plan), I didn't register or look at the options.

I've heard that there were no applications at all from some states the first day, but I suspect those are states who did not set up their own exchanges and instead just used the federal program.  I've seen screen captures of plans, most of which looked pretty expensive and had very high annual deductibles.  But I want to hear what real people who actually need health insurance and are eligible for subsidies are finding. 

(I've also heard that there are hackers lurking with fake sites, so be careful!  I'm sure they'll be pretty actively pursued, so report it if you think you've found one of those.)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, they reported on the news the first night that over 3 million people had been on the website , so I figure some of those people signed up.  I happen to live in a state that has some of the lowest rates, and I do believe lots of people have signed up.  But we have actual centers where people can go for assistance in signing up, and the head of one of the centers was interviewed on the news last night stating they were really busy on Tuesday. 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Didn't sign up here either.  We get medical through DH's company, and he said that their rates are going to be better than what Obamacare could give us.  I did see that we don't qualify for any kind of a discount (whatever) but I didn't go further to see what the plans actually cost.

In our state there were people having problems getting onto the site.

Mrsgreenjeans- there were actual sites in our state too, and they were really busy Tuesday and yesterday.

Cheryl

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked at it even though so far I have insurance through my employer.  I don't make a huge salary but I'm doing okay, I still qualified for a $300 subsidy.  The lowest plan would cost me $200 a month making the total cost $500 which is more than my employer plan's total cost.  It was a lousy plan also.  A $5000 deductible then it pays 60%.  My plan at work is also high deductible but not that bad.  It is a $3000 deductible and then pays 80%.  The company also puts $150 a month into my HSA.  My employers plan is $370 a month.  Even with the $150 that they put into my HSA it is only $20 a month more.  My share is only $43 a pay.  It looks like a way for insurance companies to make more money.

I heard on the news that even with all the traffic very few people signed up.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying but nothing.  Even when I was able to make account tells me my info is not valid when go to login.  first day I did not even get that far.  Waiting it out.  I am just anxious to see it!  Husband works with family and they do not have insurance and no way we could afford it on own.

I am still waiting for medicaid to cover my er bill of 8k or so for 2 ultrasounds.  Yeah.   Getting bills call them to tell them I was pregnant it is in system I am not. Well duh.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to look more into it, but so far at 104% of the poverty level it will cost me more a month because of having a regular prescription. Right now I pay $100/month and have a $10,000 deductible. The calculator said for the silver plan $284/month and a $2600 deductible, but from what it said on another page if I have a regular prescription then I need the gold or better. Which is more $$.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are being offered three choices this year and can use the exchanges with the 80/20 plan.  However, since I already pay a small fortune to cover DH on my 70/30 plan, I can't possibly afford the premiums for the 80/20.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm hearing that the states who are operating their own exchanges are running more smoothly than the federal site.  Not surprising, when you consider the volume. 

I looked, and for a plan comparable to my current employer-provided plan, it would be something like $700/month.  I'm paying about $500 now.  It jumped from $85/week to $125/week this year to pay for changes they had to make to meet ACA coverage requirements.  That's an almost 50% jump.

I'm still not clear on how the subsidy works.  (I'm not elibible, anyway.)  Do you only pay your portion each month, or do you have to wait for the next year to submit a tax return to get the tax credit?  That doesn't make sense, but I haven't heard it explained exactly how it works, yet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how payment works.  I don't need the coverage, yet anyway, my employer is still providing coverage.  I only went far enough to see what the options are.  It shows it as insured's payment and subsidy amount.  I know initially there was something about a tax credit.  I never really liked the idea of the tax credit.  For people who are living paycheck to paycheck they have to come up with the money initially and then get it back.  I was really surprised at the size of the subsidy that I qualified for.  I thought I would probably qualify for a small one but not one that size.  The coverage that I have through work is both cheaper and a better plan.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not had time to look at it yet, but need to. I was on unemployment, but now it has run out. (only available 6 months now!)  I'm not sure what kind of options there will be for me. I really can't afford anything!   I have been going to a community medical clinic that does a sliding scale fee. My unemployment was so little, my fee was only 25.00 a visit, so I'm not sure what all will change in regards to all of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I heard that the government spent over $600, 000, 000 to set up the web site. I also heard the actual applications are appallingly low, like only 4 in the entire state of Idaho. You'd think they would at least have total numbers.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My update is I did create prfile but can not complete sign in until husband gets verified.  He can not do that as I can not view the page with the id number on it.  so options are wait for them to email me back(...), try a new profile or wait for site to work again.  Keep getting blank pages or blue where there should be page of info.  Waits on phone exceed 30 minutes to get verified then they asked him for the number and he had to say I can not log in to get it:(  We have no insurance and still waiting for Medicaid to cover my er bill to confirm miscarriage and at this point pretty jaded about the process. 

May have to go back to ER as having severe pain and no idea what it is.  Hate to be one of those who goes knowing payment will be issue especially with this months away.