Have To Stop Feeding My Ferals

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In our neighborhood - the woman who's accused of "starting things" technically didn't either. Her neighbor did. They fed, but provided no winter shelter, water, etc. Then when they moved, the "accused neighbor" took up the feeding, but I think it that time things were getting out of control numbers-wise, people just weren't realize this (partially bc most of the colony is all grey or all black - so unless lots of them are standing together, it was hard to know many weren't just new sightings of the same few cats. Then the persecuted person who took over and had now had a large number to feed, had barely heard of TNR (plus trapping just sounded scary to her) - - but was instead told the ferals would be euthanized at all the area vets/shelters/etc. Plus she was feeding in her driveway where all could see - - so it drew attention to the large numbers. I finally talked to her, taking the Alley Cat Allies materials to her, and after most of a summer convincing her tNR was a good thing, for her and for the kitties.

So now she's TNRing alot - - - but she's still viewed as "the one who started it." And she's harassed too by just a few neighbors. Even though we've - jointly with them and one other neighbor - gotten numbers down. But as you know - just a few VERY vocal neighbors can whip everyone into a frenzy, PLUS can really make things uncomfortable. But I remind her - like you - she's keeping hundreds and hundred of babies from being born. So tonight we're talking to some of the nicer neighbors about the new ones we sighted, then we may approach the really crazy ones about what we're doing and why. And ask if we can trap in their yards to grab the new ones we just saw. Hopefully they'll understand what we're trying to do - - -- but wish us luck. :) You definitely know all too well it doesn't always work!

But SO glad others are seeing the value you've brought. And when you figure out how to disengage emotionally, let me know! :) Keep up the good spirits!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In our neighborhood - the woman who's accused of "starting things" technically didn't either. Her neighbor did. They fed, but provided no winter shelter, water, etc. Then when they moved, the "accused neighbor" took up the feeding, but I think it that time things were getting out of control numbers-wise, people just weren't realize this (partially bc most of the colony is all grey or all black - so unless lots of them are standing together, it was hard to know many weren't just new sightings of the same few cats. Then the persecuted person who took over and had now had a large number to feed, had barely heard of TNR (plus trapping just sounded scary to her) - - but was instead told the ferals would be euthanized at all the area vets/shelters/etc. Plus she was feeding in her driveway where all could see - - so it drew attention to the large numbers. I finally talked to her, taking the Alley Cat Allies materials to her, and after most of a summer convincing her tNR was a good thing, for her and for the kitties.

So now she's TNRing alot - - - but she's still viewed as "the one who started it." And she's harassed too by just a few neighbors. Even though we've - jointly with them and one other neighbor - gotten numbers down. But as you know - just a few VERY vocal neighbors can whip everyone into a frenzy, PLUS can really make things uncomfortable. But I remind her - like you - she's keeping hundreds and hundred of babies from being born. So tonight we're talking to some of the nicer neighbors about the new ones we sighted, then we may approach the really crazy ones about what we're doing and why. And ask if we can trap in their yards to grab the new ones we just saw. Hopefully they'll understand what we're trying to do - - -- but wish us luck. :) You definitely know all too well it doesn't always work!

But SO glad others are seeing the value you've brought. And when you figure out how to disengage emotionally, let me know! :) Keep up the good spirits!
Good luck with that project. This colony is controlled and that's the way we want to keep it. They keep out the ones on the edges, and we see them, we know where they are, who are waiting for their chance to get in. If these guys would disappear they'd be on that area in a second and someone else can then be responsible for what happens. Those of us who worked to get them TNR'd are finished. We aren't doing anymore. Best wishes again with your project.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I ran across the following info in another thread,
Vultures Won't Let Colony Eat,
and thought it might be of some help:
"You may also want to contact someone like Alley Cat Allies, the national database for outdoor cat advocacy, at alleycat.org, or Best Friends Animal Society at BestFriends.org. They have national network participators on various levels and maybe someone will be able to help personally or give you more resources."

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ran across the following info in another thread,
Vultures Won't Let Colony Eat,
and thought it might be of some help:
"You may also want to contact someone like Alley Cat Allies, the national database for outdoor cat advocacy, at alleycat.org, or Best Friends Animal Society at BestFriends.org. They have national network participators on various levels and maybe someone will be able to help personally or give you more resources."
Thank you.

tomcat60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've gone through the same situation your going thru. My wife was feeding two feral cats and the neighbor lady turned us into animal control. We were given a court summons and had to appear in court. Luckily I contacted our local alderman and she helped a lot. When we got to court the judge said yes I talked to her and your case is dismissed, yeah. Since then we have broth the two cats into our home and they are doing well. You might want to try contacting your local rep.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I am hoping we have solved our problem. We moved them from their feeding place and living place next door to the woman who complained. The neighbors allowed us to feed them at their garage on the outside walkway. And she is helping me with the care so it doesn't look like I do this by myself though by all the help I get it really is a community thing. My neighbor who helps me care for them then asked the neighbors around her if they minding us feeding them around their property on the outside of the fence and they all said no, go ahead. So I am thankful for that and for their help. The thing is now that I don't make twice daily visits to where the cats were being fed, and that house is vacant and old, we now how what appears to be drug deals being made on that property in the back. I went looking for the cats one evening to feed them and they had all disappeared. Well they still live in that area and were hiding because a stranger was in their yard. I chased him out and called the cops for a drive through. Then this week I noticed the back gate on the property was open wide. So I did a property check, found the back door open and the knob on the screen door gone. Then a strange thing, both front screen doors were gone as she has two doors in front. What anyone wants with screen door is beyond me unless the druggies can sell them for heroin money. Again we called the police after I made attempts to reach the family that brought nothing and they came and checked things but that's all they can do. What amazes me is this neighbor who complained about the cats doesn't have any idea what is actually going on in that yard and house. (I suspect it has a squatter or two). She was just wanting to get rid of the cats.

I do want to thank everyone for their help. I really hope the cat nightmare is over but I'm not sure what else might be brewing with the people in that yard and house. Take care. And thanks.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The neighbors allowed us to feed them at their garage on the outside walkway. And she is helping me with the care so it doesn't look like I do this by myself though by all the help I get it really is a community thing.
:thumbsup: Nice work for everyone in the neighborhood (except the complainer).

Sounds like moving the cats created a vacuum for something truly sinister to take over. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Yeah, without me going over there which originally was part of the plan. I fed the cats and that made the property look a little protected. At least I could see if something was wrong. Now that is not in place and there are problems on that property. The area used to be pretty bad, then it cleaned up a little but now it is getting bad again and there's really not much anyone will do about it I guess. As long as the property owners don't act concerned I don't think the police will be too much concerned. And the owners are very old, too old to worry about that property I suspect.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very glad that you have made the arrangements safer for the cats. It was brave of you to reach out to the neighbors and your bravery paid off!
The vacuum effect at the house will get worse unless the owners get a caretaker. I have a similar situation with the run-down house that my former husband grew up in. The house is too substandard to rent out so I have a caretaker who lives in his r.v. in the yard, as an employee who cares for the trees, feral cats and general property maintenance. When the house was vacant, squatters kept setting up camp. I would call the cops but by the time they got there, the trespassers would be gone or hidden.
Please keep us updated on how things are going! Both with the ferals & the old house. Sad that the homeowners have this property situation when they are so frail and elderly - maybe a church has someone they can recommend as a caretaker. If the city decides it is a nuisance property or blight, it could become a problem esp if the property is condemned and seized and becomes a skatepark or other use contrary to your peace and quiet.

annekarina53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very glad that you have made the arrangements safer for the cats. It was brave of you to reach out to the neighbors and your bravery paid off!
The vacuum effect at the house will get worse unless the owners get a caretaker. I have a similar situation with the run-down house that my former husband grew up in. The house is too substandard to rent out so I have a caretaker who lives in his r.v. in the yard, as an employee who cares for the trees, feral cats and general property maintenance. When the house was vacant, squatters kept setting up camp. I would call the cops but by the time they got there, the trespassers would be gone or hidden.
Please keep us updated on how things are going! Both with the ferals & the old house. Sad that the homeowners have this property situation when they are so frail and elderly - maybe a church has someone they can recommend as a caretaker. If the city decides it is a nuisance property or blight, it could become a problem esp if the property is condemned and seized and becomes a skatepark or other use contrary to your peace and quiet.
Thanks. There's enough neighbors aware of it now that I think everyone will keep a watch or at least notice if something is off. Not sure what the family will do with the property. I think they are still paying taxes on it or the city would have taken it by now. The city sends them notices to mow the yard. That's how much it is neglected. I don't know nor do I really want to know what all the rules are in this area. I just think it will work itself out eventually and we will have to make sure the property stays vacant until proper arrangements can be made, to keep the neighborhood safe.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear your feral cats are doing OK annekarina53 annekarina53 It's great that the other neighbours don't mind you feeding the cats. I had a feeling you probably had a lot more support in the neighbourhood than you realised.

It's scary to hear what that empty house has turned into now.

Stay safe. Best of luck to you and your cats.