Have to Move and must re-home most of our cats

gambit2051

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My roommate and I are moving from Ohio to Los Angeles. We currently have more cats than is allowed because we had very different opinions on what to do with some Feral Cats we caught. She believed fixing and releasing them would be inhumane and said she would rather put them down than just release them like that. They then managed to get free before we could fix 3 of them. Leading to 2 litters of kittens...and they added 7 more to the count. With each litter, i tried to call no-kill shelters, but as soon as they heard we could actually financially afford caring for them they would always say they had no room.

We now have 3 feral cats, with only the 2 boys avoiding neutering because they have evaded every trap and attempt I made to catch them.1 of them managed to bust through a Kennel by going straight into the top corner of it...that is how determined they are to avoid being caught...

We have a total of 18 Cats (all well fed on Science Diet with cleaned litter everyday) which is beyond gd insane and I need some help with finding them homes. I care about all of them, too many of them I care about too much. All the reasons are too long to get into and if you want to hate me for the result, fine, but that is not constructive to my needs right now. I suffer from Depression and have issues with being tired of people exiting my life with too few entering it, and Animals have always liked me...and that is how you get to the point that we are at.

Now, she has moved out ahead of me, and I have until the end of March to find homes for most of them....the fact I am able to write this post means I am finally accepting that I might actually be able to find them their humans...I hope.

I can go into more detail with those that are interested in actually helping me. You are allowed to berate me once, but after that, I need all the advice you can provide about how to go about doing this.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realize that the shelters don't want to take them since you are financially able to care for them, but I wonder if they would help you find homes provided that you still shouldered the financial burden until they are adopted.

For example, could you communicate with the shelters in the area, asking them to post your cats for adoption from a foster situation? i.e. you are "fostering" them (while still supporting them financially) but at least the shelters could advertise that your cats are, in fact, up for adoption?

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Nah, nobody has to berate you. We're all cat lovers here and I'm unpopular enough on the debate boards for anyone who is having a bad day and needs a scapegoat to kick. :p

Please put on your own oxygen mask first with regard to the Depression. You made it to a cat site with cat people who will not judge you. Eighteen isn't even a particularly shocking number to some of the feral caregivers who post here and share their tragedies and triumphs with those of us who are not fortunate enough to be able to care for community cats.

Which is the vast majority of us, unfortunately, because humans are just stupid that way and none of us have the power to do everything for our cats that they deserve. Please be honest about your financial situation so that (collective) us will have the information to help you.

Please be patient, make yourself a cup of tea, smoke a nice bud if you're in a legal state, or whatever else you and your therapist have come up with that works. I can't personally adopt another cat, but this community as a whole has accomplished some pretty amazing things and gone to great lengths to rescue cats. You are among friends who can put our differences aside in an emergency.

You will not be judged.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I would never berate you for this. I understand that sometimes life throws us curveballs and we must make hard choices. Once, I had to rehome a dog I loved very much because he was to big and to active for our small house/little property. We loved him, but we knew he deserved a better home. Regardless of the reason why, you are actively trying to find them homes and that is admirable.

I second making yourself a cup of hot tea! That always helps me relax.

That all being said, I can't believe the shelters would turn you down. That's awful. Instead of looking there though, have you considered alternates? Search local cat rescues in your area. I know where I live, we have several. You could also poke around on facebook local animal groups. Just make sure if you do that, you charge a fee for adoption since most dog fighters won't be interested in paying for something they intend to use for bait.

I'm sure by the way if you go to a local pet shop, they could also put you in contact with rescues. I also know that my vet will help with adoptions and finding homes -- so maybe you call your vet, explain your situation and see if they have any ideas?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you are stressed. Don’t give up. We have all experienced tough times one way or another. I was put into a position of battling bad humans to rescue a large feral colony. I thought I was trying to do the impossible. How do you catch, Spay/neuter/vet, socialize and adopt out a whole colony?!?!? I don’t want to mislead you, it took time and diligence on my part. I contacted rescue groups in my state and three others around me. I asked everyone I had contact with. My post man, tax preparer, doctor, dentist and even a local police officer. Lol Every human I had any contact with at any business or social event. In two years I got 78 cats through the entire process and into good homes. You CAN do this! Part of it is repeatedly contacting the same rescue groups. Once a week, another phone call. Become known to them. Stay on their radar and eventually something will come up and they’ll think of you. Once I turned that corner, adoptions started happening. You are already partially there because you’ve already done preliminary work with the cats. Alley cat allies might be helpful. Best friends.org. Call all local vets. Post pictures on every bulletin board you can find. Church groups and Senior citizen groups could be an option. Be creative in your thinking. Make out an adoption form for people to sign so you can be assured that the kitties are going to good places. You are making a responsible decision. No one should ever fault you for making sure the kitties go to places that can give them the love and care you want them to have. Bravo to you for making the hard decision to do what is best for the kitties and finding a safe place for them. Please post back and let us know how things are going.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My roommate and I are moving from Ohio to Los Angeles. We currently have more cats than is allowed because we had very different opinions on what to do with some Feral Cats we caught. She believed fixing and releasing them would be inhumane and said she would rather put them down than just release them like that. They then managed to get free before we could fix 3 of them. Leading to 2 litters of kittens...and they added 7 more to the count. With each litter, i tried to call no-kill shelters, but as soon as they heard we could actually financially afford caring for them they would always say they had no room.

We now have 3 feral cats, with only the 2 boys avoiding neutering because they have evaded every trap and attempt I made to catch them.1 of them managed to bust through a Kennel by going straight into the top corner of it...that is how determined they are to avoid being caught...

We have a total of 18 Cats (all well fed on Science Diet with cleaned litter everyday) which is beyond gd insane and I need some help with finding them homes. I care about all of them, too many of them I care about too much. All the reasons are too long to get into and if you want to hate me for the result, fine, but that is not constructive to my needs right now. I suffer from Depression and have issues with being tired of people exiting my life with too few entering it, and Animals have always liked me...and that is how you get to the point that we are at.

Now, she has moved out ahead of me, and I have until the end of March to find homes for most of them....the fact I am able to write this post means I am finally accepting that I might actually be able to find them their humans...I hope.

I can go into more detail with those that are interested in actually helping me. You are allowed to berate me once, but after that, I need all the advice you can provide about how to go about doing this.
If you're on social media, there are MANY rescues, sanctuaries and advocates active on all. You can use facebook's search engine and input something like, "cat rescues/sanctuaries in (your general location)"; you can also do this on google and/or bing or any other search engine. You can visit animalrescuedirectory.net to select State(s) of your choice and view such groups. And you can check such sites as bestfriends.org, alleycat.org, petifnder.com, petango.com, petco.com, shelterbuddy.com to see what their policies are. You are fortunate that "kitten season" hasn't started yet, officially, in Ohio. That means there are fewer cats seeking adoption. *PRAYERS* from the heart and the very best wishes for all of the cats, and all who care for and about them. (PS: "putting down" healthy cats should NEVER be an option. People don't "put down" healthy kids just because they have too many and no homes for them. Just sayin'.)

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I found Willow and my rescue dog on Craig's List, after spending some time trolling for less-than-perfect animals who needed me. I know you need to be very careful because of the dog fighters, but maybe someone has some experience with how to use it safely?

My impression is that rural areas like my own use it responsibly. When I increase the distance of my search to include larger cities, I start seeing the scam ads and the major puppy flippers.

Some of us still read newspapers. Seniors can provide good homes--we may live in small apartments or have small incomes, but we have more time than working/parenting age folks, many of us have previous experience parenting our own children or cats who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and we tend to appreciate and value our pets highly because we already know how short life is and how unreliable humans can be when we need them the most.

If you use email lists, IRC, and forums instead of Facebook and Twitter, most forums have an "off topic" section where you can chat about random things like finding homes for pets. As long as you don't overdo it, you can probably get away with, "Hold on a sec; can we wait to start the game until I (something related to feral cat rescue)" on IRC or mentioning that you have cats who need homes at the bottom of an on-topic reply to the email list.

Cats are the most popular pet animal in the US. There are people out there who are looking for new family members. Raising kittens is a lot of work and just not doable for some people who can provide a perfectly good home to an adult cat. Your babies aren't garbage and you're going to find people who will appreciate them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This Facebook group has a HIGH membership, with some amazing people, and information on resources. They may be able to help.

The Main group is for transport only, but the "Care and Share" sister group is for situations like this.

Best of luck, and let us know how things go.