Have a few questions about stray starving sick cat

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope everyone is healthy with all this virus stuff going on. About a week ago this poor skinny starving cat showed up in my neighborhood. It could barely walk and didn't have much hair. These kind of things really break my heart. Once I saw it in the neighbors garbage I started feeding it about 5 days ago across the street and it looks better after eating. It runs off when I approach it but returns once I put the canned food out. My question is I'd like to mix some sort of flea pill treatment into it's food. Other than Comfortis is there another type of pill that lasts for 30 days thats cheaper and doesn't need an RX? I have an indoor cat that I keep advantage on hand just in case but this stray won't let me anywhere near it. It's possible it has mange but I figure I'd try flea treatment to help some of its misery. I'm on social security and don't have a lot of extra $$.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Program is another non-prescription oral flea treatment that is supposed to last for a month, that is probably less expensive. I believe it is liquid that can be put into food, whereas Comfortis is a chewable tablet, but it probably can be crushed and mixed in with food as well. Not sure where you are located, but your best bet is to search online for both of these products and see which you can get for less.

Bless you for trying to help this poor kitty!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is so heartbreaking and you are very kind to help. I have had cats of this sort make decent recoveries once they had food and even a small amount of treatment.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Program doesn't kill fleas; just sterilizes them. It can help prevent an infestation for indoor cats but it wouldn't help an already-infested stray. You can get Capstar, it only lasts 24 hours but if you give it twice a week it can be pretty effective. Most cats won't notice if you crush it up and put it in their food.

None of the monthly pills are OTC in the US though.

havecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the cat doesn't have much hair, maybe you shouldn't treat for fleas with chemicals? It sounds like his immune system is already stressed and those chemical flea treatments will not help. I took in a really sick stray a few years back and used the hot soapy water with a flea comb method. I first did a combo of ACV (has to be dilute NOT full strength) and water sprayed on his fur after putting oil around all his extremities - eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and anus to prevent the fleas from heading into those areas. After that I did the soapy water/hot water flea comb method. When the ACV/Water solution is sprayed on their fur, the fleas head for those areas. I found a ton on the base of the cats tail.

I did try washing him first with Dawn and rinsing which did help me to see that he did have fleas but it did not eradicate them. The ACV/Water method followed by the soapy water/hot water method (preceded by oiling extremities) was effective for him, I couldn't find any fleas on him afterward. I was surprised at how easy it was. And this kitty was difficult about being handled, too. Also, I went to the vet shortly after and they could not find fleas on him either. I'm not a big fan of chemical treatments but everyone is different.

If you're looking at ringworm, it runs its course on it's own after about 8 months. So if his hair is already growing back the infection may have run it's course. Also, hair loss can come with malnutrition so it could be from that also. Only a vet can tell you for sure, though. It might be helpful if you could find a vet that used traditional and alternative therapies for the cat.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with him. He's so lucky to have found you!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you do a Google search for pictures of mange in cats you can get an idea of what it looks like. Mange can get really bad and does require treatment to clear it up. Some of the pictures are a bit hard to look at but they will help you to guess what it is your dealing with. To make a diagnosis a vet has to look at samples with scope and the treatment involves using an insecticide bath to kill the mites. It's not a fun thing to get.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
If the cat doesn't have much hair, maybe you shouldn't treat for fleas with chemicals? It sounds like his immune system is already stressed and those chemical flea treatments will not help. I took in a really sick stray a few years back and used the hot soapy water with a flea comb method. I first did a combo of ACV (has to be dilute NOT full strength) and water sprayed on his fur after putting oil around all his extremities - eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and anus to prevent the fleas from heading into those areas. After that I did the soapy water/hot water flea comb method. When the ACV/Water solution is sprayed on their fur, the fleas head for those areas. I found a ton on the base of the cats tail.

I did try washing him first with Dawn and rinsing which did help me to see that he did have fleas but it did not eradicate them. The ACV/Water method followed by the soapy water/hot water method (preceded by oiling extremities) was effective for him, I couldn't find any fleas on him afterward. I was surprised at how easy it was. And this kitty was difficult about being handled, too. Also, I went to the vet shortly after and they could not find fleas on him either. I'm not a big fan of chemical treatments but everyone is different.

If you're looking at ringworm, it runs its course on it's own after about 8 months. So if his hair is already growing back the infection may have run it's course. Also, hair loss can come with malnutrition so it could be from that also. Only a vet can tell you for sure, though. It might be helpful if you could find a vet that used traditional and alternative therapies for the cat.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with him. He's so lucky to have found you!
Chemicals aren’t a bad thing! Water is a chemical. You are chemicals! Plenty of “natural” things are toxic or itritating.

It’s all about dosages and proper use :)

OP said she can’t handle the cat. It may be feral. So bathing is definitely out of the question, and depending on what’s going on, it may irritate the skin further.

Ringworm doesn’t usually cause the type of hair loss OP seems to be describing... a photo would help us get a better idea of the severity, though. Treating for fleas is always the best initial line of defense in this kind of situation, though.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Hope everyone is healthy with all this virus stuff going on. About a week ago this poor skinny starving cat showed up in my neighborhood. It could barely walk and didn't have much hair. These kind of things really break my heart. Once I saw it in the neighbors garbage I started feeding it about 5 days ago across the street and it looks better after eating. It runs off when I approach it but returns once I put the canned food out. My question is I'd like to mix some sort of flea pill treatment into it's food. Other than Comfortis is there another type of pill that lasts for 30 days thats cheaper and doesn't need an RX? I have an indoor cat that I keep advantage on hand just in case but this stray won't let me anywhere near it. It's possible it has mange but I figure I'd try flea treatment to help some of its misery. I'm on social security and don't have a lot of extra $$.
Can I ask how involved you’re willing or capable of being for this kitty?

Would trapping him and taking him to the vet be an option for you?

What about spay/neuter at a low cost clinic if his condition continues improving.

If you PM me, I can send you a link to a place that sells generic Capstar. It’s much cheaper than the vet. As Willowy said, it lasts 24 hours and kills the fleas. It can be given in food.

I would give it to him daily for a week or two, then maybe cut back from there. If it’s a flea allergy, you can’t do daily Capstar long term.

We give our ferals generic, monthly Program to sterilize the fleas, then generic Capstar 2-3x a week.

Hopefully this is malnutrition and not mange, mites, or flea allergy. That you’ve already seen improvement is promising.

We’ve had ferals show up looking like complete death before... including massive hair loss, matted hair, just atrocious coat condition. Weak, skinny, etc.

Offering a regular food and water source can resolve all of it in some cats though if malnutrition is the problem. We’ve seen amazing turn around from food alone before.

Thank you for showing such compassion for this poor kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still feeding that poor starving kitty but it looks so much better than it did. Keep in mind I can't get within 15-20 feet of it without it running off and I'm feeding it in a lot across the street from me. I went to my vet the other day and bought one Comfortis pill ($23.00). The following day I broke the pill up and put it in a small amount of wet food but of course the cat didn't show up so I got the bowl and put it in my refrig to try later. Later the cat showed up and ate the food yay! Yesterday I watched the cat eat (using my binoculars) and didn't see him itch once! I can't do much more than feed him and try to make his life less miserable since he's so wild. I did notice though the other day that I think he's blind in one eye. I do think he's old. Poor thing. Get so upset with how people just let their animals reproduce and run loose.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still feeding that poor starving kitty but it looks so much better than it did. Keep in mind I can't get within 15-20 feet of it without it running off and I'm feeding it in a lot across the street from me. I went to my vet the other day and bought one Comfortis pill ($23.00). The following day I broke the pill up and put it in a small amount of wet food but of course the cat didn't show up so I got the bowl and put it in my refrig to try later. Later the cat showed up and ate the food yay! Yesterday I watched the cat eat (using my binoculars) and didn't see him itch once! I can't do much more than feed him and try to make his life less miserable since he's so wild. I did notice though the other day that I think he's blind in one eye. I do think he's old. Poor thing. Get so upset with how people just let their animals reproduce and run loose.
This cat sounds like a feral, in which case, it will need to be trapped for spay/neuter and/or any additional vet care you might be capable of affording.

Trapping is SUPER easy, and we can walk you through it every step!

If you can give us your general location, we can help you locate TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) groups, rescues, and low cost (or free) spay/neuter clinics near you. All of these places can usually lend you a trap for free or for a refundable deposit, too!

Neutering him will make his life so much easier and increase his quality of life to a great degree. He will be far more healthy, less stressed, less at risk, and won’t be contributing to cat overpopulation anymore.

And if kitty is actually female, then you would be ensuring she doesn’t get pregnant, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called my local animal control several weeks ago about trapping the poor thing and they told me they don't trap cats nor lend out traps because there are too many strays in our town that if I could catch it I could bring it to them however with the appearance of this cat they would probably put it down. I don't know of anyone who has a hav-a-heart trap that could help me catch it and transport it to a vet etc. Having strays in the past (and my own cat) I know what the cost of a vet is and being on social security I just don't have hundreds of extra money. I've looked for TNR organizations close to here and there may be some but they're probably 50-60+ miles away and I doubt if they would travel that far for one cat. I found this on one website "
*Okeechobee County*
This municipality does not support a Community Cat program, despite its incredibly large stray cat population. Please contact your Commissioner to voice concern there is no effective population control plan slated for cats.

If you know of anyone that I can call I'd love to talk to someone about the cat population in my town. Okeechobee City Florida Zip 34974.