Hat in hand....

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a plea for contributions for my cat sanctuary CATS Inc., on behalf of two older cats Cyclone (old-timers might remember Cyclone) and Sebastian a new arrival. Cyclone was initially rescued in 2003 then he vanished and reappeared 9 years later! He just came "home" and is still here and not in the best shape. When he first showed up there was absolutely no muscle or fat on this beautiful orange and white boy and his eyes were really messed up. One of his eyes has cleared up but the other- well he might lose his eye. I just ordered extensive bloodwork on him because he continues to lose weight and his eye is just stinky looking. he is over 13 years old.

Sebastian was dumped at a trailer park and I got a call about him a week ago and said no, I can't take him. Then I received other calls about him from other residents there and when one told me that some teen boys were throwing boulders at him (not rocks-boulders) I knew even though I am full-up I had to say yes.  He is also in poor shape and had a growth on his testicle which they removed today and sent it off to the lab.

I need to raise $402.00 for these cats and if you can help that would be wonderful. They want Cyclone to see a special opthamologist before determining if the eye is a total loss. I believe their fear is that because of his depleted state, surgery would be a real risk.

If you can help, you can visit either one of my websites listed below and hit the donate button. Every dollar definitely helps~

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, MA, I sure hope you get much more than you need right now, that way you'll have plenty in reserve, since seems like every day you're taking in new kitty's in need
.  Hey, have you stopped doing auctions?  Those worked really well, didn't they? 

for these two boys particiularly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, the goal has been met and Cyclone has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He is on a special food and we are hopeful that this will help him heal and he will start gaining weight soon.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It is TCS policy to add the following blurb to every post asking for donations. Hissy is one of the original members of this site and is a former Admin. She actually wrote the blurb I am posting. I'm sure you will have no problem getting any information you need to validate her story.

From the Mod Team Regarding Pleas for money:

Cats are a huge responsibility. Anyone who thinks otherwise, should not have one in their life. They are dependent on us for everything from providing a place to eat, to also providing vet care.

Anyone who has cats knows that they can and do get ill. Your best defense is to plan for that to happen before it does, and store monies away in preparation.

If you read about a plight of an animal on the internet and your heart is drawn to help. Check out the story thoroughly. Google the vet's name or call Directory Assistance in the city and be sure this is a legitimate claim.

Do not blindly send money into a paypal account no matter how heart-wrenching the story. Instead reach out to the member and ask for the vet's name and phone number, and arrange to send the money there for the specific needs of the cat in question.

If that information cannot be provided- you have your answer. Report the post to a moderator so that it can be removed for not being on the level.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I did write it long ago :) I don't like asking for money especially during these trying times. But here in this area even the shelters have stopped taking cats that aren't owner-surrendered. These cats suffer horrible fates and although I do try and keep my numbers down- sometimes it is virtually impossible. I turn down cats every day-

With Mike so ill and me unable to return to work because of his health, my priority is to pay down my vet bill and not add to it if at all possible. I am waiting to hear on several grants that I have applied for but when I have a puzzling case of abuse and neglect, I turn to true cat lovers to help out if they can. If anyone thinks I am using monies for my own gain-well then you just don't know me very well. These cats have been first in my life over 30 plus years and I can't even remember the last time I went on vacation. This is my life and I am not complaining- I am explaining.

On the auction-front they told me when I went non-profit they can't run auctions for me anymore. So right now, these cats rely on the kindness of others to help them survive and I am grateful for any monies sent this way. Right now CATS Inc., vet bill is $1,135.00 and I didn't want to add to it with additional tests and labs needed. Thankfully, I didn't have to-

I ran a local fundraiser here a few months ago but this is a small town and like most towns it is dying slowly. It used to be funded by logging and paper mills. They have all shut down now.

People call me all the time to take one, two even eight cats! They get angry when I tell them I can't. I am full-up. I give them other options but I know that some of the cats I turn down meet an ugly fate.

Recently, a paper in Florida published an article about three ways to poison feral and stray cats with over-the-counter measures! Shameful and the author should be fired and the article retracted. But that is how so many people look at these cats. They are not "beautiful creatures" "intelligent"  "loving" they are vermin. They are disposable! A local breeder recently was caught throwing her persians into the river! It's maddening for those of us who love these cats and want to help them.

My Daddy is dying and he is the one who taught me early on to love and how to care for these cats. He used to bring kittens home that he found in the fields or on his route. He was a mailman. he is 93 now and his mind is slipping. The way I can honor this man is to continue to do what he taught me at his knee, love and care for the cats of the world who have met neglect or abuse.

If you don't support me- then PLEASE find a hissy in your area and support them! We don't have the big guns behind us like the major players do. We can't run commercials, get on animal planet or increase the awareness of what we do because so many of us try to fly under the radar. Otherwise, we find cats can suddenly fly and are being flung over our fences or left at our door.

I have a sign on my front walkway it says "If you are going to dump your cat here, at least ring our doorbell first!" It is helpful to have history on these dumped kitties otherwise we just fly blind in trying to figure out what is wrong.

This is my sermon of the morning- for those of you who do care- I salute you. I know many of you are feeding, TNR'ing and doing your part to make a dent in a very large problem. Just remember that the solution is in educating those not in the know about spaying and neutering. The over-population of strays and ferals in this country is not the CATS fault- it is the people. Just like how to deal with the issue is also people at fault and many who hate cats are stepping forward and giving reprehensible advice about what to do about them. Who suffers for that most of all, are the cats.

And now if you will excuse me, I have 32 litterpans in need of my attention~

P.S. I just got a PM from a member asking how they find a "hissy" in their area if they fly low under the radar- ask your VET or the girls in the office- they will help you :)

Last edited: