Has Your Pet Ever Broken A Bone In Their Paw?

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the time my cat was born 13 years ago, until last night, he has never once had an injury or medical issue! Aren't I lucky? But it looks like he's got a broken bone in his foot. He's in excellent spirits, so I've opted to take him into the non-emergency clinic tomorrow instead of the ER. The tech at the front desk of the ER agreed with me on that. I'm not really looking for medical or financial advice. I know I'm gonna lose every cent I've got, and then some. What I'm looking for are some accounts of experiences with this sort of thing. If your pet's paw bone was set without surgery, how did that go? How long did healing take? About what did it cost? Same for surgerical resetting and amputation. I've never had to deal with a broken bone in myself or my animals, funnily enough, and I am lost! As is often the case with cats, the worst part of this right now is convincing my cat that he needs to take it easy. Thanks so much for reading!

Emily234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From the time my cat was born 13 years ago, until last night, he has never once had an injury or medical issue! Aren't I lucky? But it looks like he's got a broken bone in his foot. He's in excellent spirits, so I've opted to take him into the non-emergency clinic tomorrow instead of the ER. The tech at the front desk of the ER agreed with me on that. I'm not really looking for medical or financial advice. I know I'm gonna lose every cent I've got, and then some. What I'm looking for are some accounts of experiences with this sort of thing. If your pet's paw bone was set without surgery, how did that go? How long did healing take? About what did it cost? Same for surgerical resetting and amputation. I've never had to deal with a broken bone in myself or my animals, funnily enough, and I am lost! As is often the case with cats, the worst part of this right now is convincing my cat that he needs to take it easy. Thanks so much for reading!
What about it makes you think he's got a broken bone? If he's not seemingly painful on it. Just curious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about it makes you think he's got a broken bone? If he's not seemingly painful on it. Just curious!
His paw has slight swelling, it is painful to the touch and bruised, and he can't put any weight on it. He uses it for some other stuff, like grooming, and he can sleep with it underneath him, but nothing requiring any grip or strength. He doesn't cry out when he walks; he just flat-out can't use the foot right since his spill. Could be a dislocation, and I would just die if that was all it was! I've often said my cat will only lose his appetite if he's been dead for several hours, so his high spirits don't count for much in my book.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's just the last bone at the end of the toe, all they'll be likely to do is prescribe an anti inflammatory and tell you to try to keep him quiet. If it's higher up in the foot treatment may be more involved.

The reason I know about toe breakage is because Sonic got his foot caught in a closing door when he was little, and the vet said "we could do x rays, but treatment is exactly the same regardless of whether he has a broken toe or a bruised toe, we can't put a toe in a cast".

So I'd say it depends where the break, if any, has occurred.

I wish you all the best, and hope there are no breaks!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add though that you should go to the vet still, because a break higher up can be more serious and will likely require a full range of treatment - my point was don't assume that it's going to cost a fortune - it may, but it may not. Please take him to get it looked at anyway (and fingers crossed that it is just a bruised toe).

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it's just the last bone at the end of the toe, all they'll be likely to do is prescribe an anti inflammatory and tell you to try to keep him quiet. If it's higher up in the foot treatment may be more involved.

The reason I know about toe breakage is because Sonic got his foot caught in a closing door when he was little, and the vet said "we could do x rays, but treatment is exactly the same regardless of whether he has a broken toe or a bruised toe, we can't put a toe in a cast".

So I'd say it depends where the break, if any, has occurred.

I wish you all the best, and hope there are no breaks!
It is pretty low, in the metatarsal/phalange area. At least that's what they're called in humans lol! I know I said I've never had a broken bone, but my only breaks have been toes which are so minor I don't really think of them that way. And when I get those taken care of, it's literally just getting taped and told to sit down more so I guess I could see it working out that way.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should add though that you should go to the vet still, because a break higher up can be more serious and will likely require a full range of treatment - my point was don't assume that it's going to cost a fortune - it may, but it may not. Please take him to get it looked at anyway (and fingers crossed that it is just a bruised toe).
No, I already arranged to go tomorrow. It eases my mind to hear these little reports, though. I have anxiety.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is pretty low, in the metatarsal/phalange area. At least that's what they're called in humans lol! I know I said I've never had a broken bone, but my only breaks have been toes which are so minor I don't really think of them that way. And when I get those taken care of, it's literally just getting taped and told to sit down more so I guess I could see it working out that way.
I've broken toes a few times, and it hurts like you know what - even if it is that, then vet treatment is still needed - if just to make sure the bone is not displaced and can heal well, to check any swelling, and prescribe something to help with pain and inflammation.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll just update everyone, and keep posting here and there since someone else might be interested to know how this goes! The xray showed he popped off the end of a phalange in the middle of his paw. The single xray cost $100. The exam cost $55, since he just happened to get his yearly exam and blood panel the month prior, and about $40 for oral painkillers. He won't require any splinting, but he will be doped up and on bedrest for days to come. I'm relieved at what a simple process this has all been. We were very lucky. I'll check back in after the follow-up for posterity.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear your boy got looked at, sounds painful for him poor love, best of luck with keeping him quiet and resting!

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's pretty toasted. He's old, so they skipped over the non-narcotics and steroids and such, and went right to oral opioid. He might be having the time of his life lol!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for him. He deserves a little narcotic buzz for having gone through such a trying time.

You are an AWESOME custodian to him. He is very lucky to have you.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's pretty toasted. He's old, so they skipped over the non-narcotics and steroids and such, and went right to oral opioid. He might be having the time of his life lol!
Oh bless him - yeah the tendency here is to give opioid medication for immedate post surgical or other serious pain relief - it is very effective, and it's not like there's a risk that they are going to go out trying to score another hit (the main worry is that any medications for pets might be abused by humans) - Radar came home from surgery last week with a Fentanyl transdermal patch, he was really *really* wobbly.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh bless him - yeah the tendency here is to give opioid medication for immedate post surgical or other serious pain relief - it is very effective, and it's not like there's a risk that they are going to go out trying to score another hit (the main worry is that any medications for pets might be abused by humans) - Radar came home from surgery last week with a Fentanyl transdermal patch, he was really *really* wobbly.
I had to have just plain old vicodin post-oral surgery once, no big deal, and I got sick to my stomach, but my cat seems to be getting even hungrier and prone to movement and curiosity when I medicate him. He's so weird. I hope your cat is doing okay!

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good for him. He deserves a little narcotic buzz for having gone through such a trying time.

You are an AWESOME custodian to him. He is very lucky to have you.
Thanks! He's my little guy and seeing him in pain stressed me out to no end, so now I feel a powerful, almost pleasant lack of stress. I hate to be one of those, "my cat saved my life," people, but yeah, that's about right. Whatever I do for him is just paying him back.