Has your cat ever behaved or done something that freaked / creeped you out?

thecatwhisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since i moved to a new apartment with my cat he's been staring at a corner wall constantly. At first i didnt' care cause i know sometimes cats trip on imaginary prey or sometimes play like that.. but it started to get creepy after one night ...

I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and after decided to check my house and my cat.guess what:
The cat was just staring at the corner. his back facing towards me.. Picture this like the end of the blair witch project (the original one) when Mike is facing the corner eerily. before heather drops to the floor..well, kinda like that (just for reference)

I mentioned this to the Building  Janitor to see if maybe i had an infestation of roaches or there were rats or mice inside the walls (i know right?) but turns out he mentions that there was an elderly couple living in the apartment before i did, and the old lady passed away while cooking breakfast... so yeah, that's a little detail the landlady skipped while showing me the apartment.. anyways, i could've just research a bit more and get in touch with a medium but i just let it go in the end. Just watching my cat stare at that corner wall, just staring...  

ps: Sorry if my english grammar is not that good I am from Mexico! :D  wiii Hola muchachos!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I  live in an apartment too.   Not sure if anyone has died in the apartment I live in, but there is definitely weird stuff that goes on there.  Our old kitty Alex was always getting tormented by spirits.  She would cry out as if in pain... she would have long drawn out conversations with a spot on the wall at really odd hours... She had a limp that would come and go and just based on her behaviors we always felt like it was the result of a spirit attack but she was old and it could be wrote off to arthritis I suppose.  That does not explain my daughter and myself both being scratched in the middle of the night, or waking up with bruises in the shape of a paw print (think midway between house cat and mountain lion sized).  The scratches are always 3 stripes with the middle being slightly longer than the other two and usually about 6-7 inches in length and ranging from 2 to 3.5 inches in width.  At one point we had a guy that claimed to  be able to see/communicate and he was going to come and banish them... Anyway, he would only stay in my apartment like 10 minutes and he said there was some bad mamma jammas in there and we needed to move and if we did not move someone would find us all dead within 6 months.  While the areas of the apartment he was pointing out were the areas we had the most activity, and some of the stuff he said was on point, we did not move and we are not dead and that has been 3 or 4 years ago... Anyway.... back to the future

Alex has sense passed, and we now have 4 others who live with us.  They all try to climb the walls and they all chase unseen critters up and down the hall, and man, you know how they say if walls could talk, well ours do, to the cats... they, like Alex, have very meaningful conversations with the darkest corners.  But I think Alex is still hanging about in spirit too because sometimes the cats will be watching my door and I will look over and the little door chair thing won't be latched and it will be swinging back and forth.  I will watch it thinking one of the cats must be playing with to make it move... and it will stop, but then it will start again with no one touching it.  There's other stuff... but I haven't lived anyplace that's not haunted my whole entire life so I am pretty much used to it. If you believe, you don't need to see, and if you don't believe, no amount of seeing will convince you of what others can explain away as coincidence, or whatever.  My life is more exciting because I believe. :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this counts or not but my Hector who died last month still visits me. I have had numerous paranormal experiences in my house and even freakier I have had conversations with her while dreaming. Sometimes the dreams are so real they seem like they aren't dreams at all.

I believe Hector is still here.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in an apartment that I swear had a poltergeist.  Nothing scary, just weird stuff was happening, things moved without explanation, light covers dropping without breaking and the fixture screws being in too tight to easily put the covers back on.  (I mean, really, how does a cover drop if the screws are in tight?)

We were having some work done on the master bath, so 2am, groggy as heck, I used the other bathroom.  I thought I saw my daughter standing between me and (at the time) the sole cat in the house.  Three steps later I realized that the figure I took for my daughter was solid white.  I looked back and nothing there but the cat was plastered against the wall, wide eyed, ears back, fur standing on end.  I picked her up and took her to bed with me.

We never had a strange incident after that.  Our best guess is the poltergeist felt bad for scaring the cat and took off.

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well i hesitate to say this (should i??) Last week Wednesday and this past Saturday.. i was awoken from my slumber from Mr. MAxx.. uh.. licking my bum!!!! I woke up and looked at my BF and woke him up like uh... help me.. i couldn't move i was afraid he would scratch me.. that was Wednesday.. covered back up.. ugh.. Saturday.. first he was licking my arm.. ok.. weird but ok...moved to my eye.. after i fell asleep.. uh.. no!  Then tunneled under.. somehow.. back to my bum.. low back.. I felt bad.. I didn't let him sleep in my room with us last night cause he weirded/creeped me out.. Im sorry if this is TMI.. but anyone else? What is this all about?? 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I could go on and on about scary stories.. things which have kind of happened to me.. not to the extent you guy have, but...

anyway... When we moved into this apartment, 10 years ago.. it was a mess. It took me a long time to clean it up to my standards before we moved in.. 

I asked a couple neighbors if there had been a cat in here.. found evidence of some kibble and some fur....

The Superintendent denied there ever being a cat here, but my neighbors disagreed... I do not know what, if anything happened to that cat while they lived here; before I adopted Artie, I would and still do, feel my mattress move as if a cat was gently jumping on it to cuddle, curl up and sleep.. I thought I was going crazy and that the building was just 'moving'--shifting.. 

In other words, I tried to talk myself out of it...

Now that I have a different mattress and I have Artie.. I still feel the same things.. Many times I look, expecting to see Artie at the foot of my bed, or next to me... but no.. he is nowhere to be found.. not even in the room... 

Strange...it still feels as if the 'mattress is settling'....

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our bengal, Makena, goes for walks or hikes just about every day. Makena is very bold and does not startle or frighten easily. One morning I had put his harness on and he was really excited to be headed out because it was my first day back after being away working for several days....and the first day back I always take him for a long hike. I opened the door and he ran out about ten feet and froze, looking all around and sniffing the air. The hair on his back stood straight up and his tail phoofed up. I could see the muscles in his sides go rigid.

One thing I have learned about Makena: he is aware of many things I don't pick up on. And, he is never wrong. Once, on a long hike we encountered a large, free roaming, unfriendly dog, Makena tensed up and started looking in the direction the dog came from LONG before I saw or heard the dog (the dog turned and ran when Makena stood his ground and growled.) Another time Makena started pacing by the back door and growling: a strange man was wandering across our property. I can name many more times he knew about something long before me.

But this was different, I could see that Makena was confused and very frightened, something I had not seen before. I quietly waited, looking around and nervously trying to figure out what he was so tense for. After a few minutes of sniffing and looking, Makena headed back to the door to go inside. I took his harness off and expected him to trot off, but he stayed right by my side. I sat down to read a book and Makena jumped up and curled up right next to me - very odd for him that early in the day. After about 15 minutes, my phone gave a severe weather alarm, tornadoes were forming in the area.

An hour later, Makena got up, stretched, went over to the door and let out a long lets-go-hiking-now meow. I check the weather and the warnings were over. We had a nice 2 hour ramble in the woods.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new kitten keeps writing the number "666" in her kitty litter.  It's weird.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I once caught Charlie staring intently at a cabinet. I opened it to show him that it was empty, at which point, the biggest cricket I'd ever seen scurried out, and Charlie chased it across the room. He doesn't eat crickets, just rips them apart with his little paws.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is a terror.  He seems to destroy everything I care for.  If you look at your keyboard, the letters l, o, k and i are right next to each other.  I was about to type something in the search bar when he jumped on the keyboard and typed "loki."  Loki is the "wily trickster god" in Norse mythollogy.  I have to wonder, was my kitty trying to tell me something?  

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a cat who is a terror.  He seems to destroy everything I care for.  If you look at your keyboard, the letters l, o, k and i are right next to each other.  I was about to type something in the search bar when he jumped on the keyboard and typed "loki."  Loki is the "wily trickster god" in Norse mythollogy.  I have to wonder, was my kitty trying to tell me something?  
I'm not up on all this, "BFF," "b/c," "Idk," stuff, but I'm pretty certain that, "LOKI," is txt abv for, "look out - kitty interruption !"

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One night I was laying in bed turned facing a wall and my cat was sleeping next to me. All of a sudden he sat up and his eyes got huge and he stared out the bedroom door. He had this look of shyness mixed with fear....like he
Gets sometimes when he meets a new person for the first time. I was seriously freaked out....it took me a good minute to get the courage to turn my head towards the bedroom door to make sure someone wasn't standing there looking in....of course no one was...I never did figure out what he heard or saw...I figure it might have been that he heard a raccoon raiding the bird feeders or something like that...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not in the paranormal range, but Nightfury is a solid black cat. The really dark light absorbing black with no lighter colors. He is dark enough that he has scared me a few times when he takes a nap in a closet and you go to get something and all you see are eyes suddenly.

One time I was leaving the house through our back door. The washer and dryer are right next to it and come up to about shoulder level on me. I feel a light touch on my shoulder and turn around. Nothing there. Look around, clothes hanging up above the dryer and washer with a heavy coat. I figure it somehow brushed me so I pushed the sleeve back a smidgen and go outside. I go back inside a little later and feel a light brush again. I check and the heavy coat is at the other end. Now I am getting a little worried. I turn around and again feel the brush on my shoulder. This time I move the clothes around more. Nightfury is in there. He was napping on the washer and his black fur just blended right into the clothes hanging and shadows. He was stretched out and tapped my shoulder when I walked by.

He has since taken to sleeping up there (and we put a sleeping pad for him) so it is not uncommon to get a Fury pat when you walk by.

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So last week, it had been abnormally hot, so we hooked an ac unit up to my window, the vent was sticking through the top of it, these are the kind of windows that can open from the top and bottom. Well, before this, the top had been down and the big screen had been pushed up to cover it, and whoever(my brother) had hooked the ac up, had neglected to put the screen fully down. It was supposed to rain the next day, so I came upstairs and undid the ac and put the top up, and then opened the bottom window, not noticing the screen wasn't fully down. I watched some videos on my phone for a while before going downstairs for about an hour. I then came back upstairs and laid in my bed before remembering I had left my charger downstairs. When I got up, for some reason... I had to look to the right, where the window was, and I managed to see, caught in the glow of the moon light, Freya climbing her way back IN through the window from the roof. I about had a heart attack. The window was down the rest of the night.

And then on Saturday night, I forgot the screen was still up, and opened the window. Three guesses what happened next and the first two guesses don't count. This time I saw her out on the roof and cried for her to come back inside, called, made kissy noises, whistled, snapped my fingers, but she laid there and ignored me. I ran to the next window closest to her and called for her still, and she glared at me before heading for the raised portion of the roof and disappearing over it. At this time my parents heard me and asked what was going on, and I explained Freya was out on the roof. I ran outside, my mother joining me shortly after, yelling at her, from where she was on the corner of the roof, to go back inside. She got upset with us yelling at her and growled... And then turned and promptly ran happily to my step father who had climbed out there to get there. Need less to say, she's been grounded to one can of wet food a day.