Has your cat ever accidentally hurt you?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is very sweet, but he clawed the crap out of my legs today. He was trying to jump up into my lap where I was sitting in the chair, and he lost his footing. He dug his claws into my legs HARD to avoid falling, I guess, and used my legs to pull himself up. This is not the first time he has done this. I was wearing shorts, of course. It really hurt, and I have several little puncture marks on my thighs now. A few of them were bleeding quite a bit earlier. I guess it's my fault because I don't clip his nails (he won't let me). He uses his scratching posts so much that I thought he could keep his claws filed down himself. I guess not.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Not only my own cats, but some of the shelter cats have accidentally clawed me when using me for a springboard (our old cat Jamie bit me twice, but that wasn't by accident). Yes, scratching posts don't file down nails - cats use them to pull off the old nail sheaths and to sharpen their claws. I keep Mogli's nails clipped, just taking the tips off. I'm very fortunate that he doesn't mind it at all. Jamie was another story. One of his claws had been ripped out and grew in crooked and frayed, so it had to be clipped. Sometimes I only managed it on the third or fourth attempt, normally when he was sleeping.

I keep an antiseptic spray handy for scratches. They hurt!

Last edited:

zemari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clyde used to climb up my back when he was a kitten to see into the sink (he has a thing about water) and for a few months I had permanent scratch marks on the back of my legs and lower back

Luckily now he is bgger (and heavier) he just jumps onto the work surface so he can sit in the washing up bowl !

tuftypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness yes! It happened today with our newly adopted kitty (8 months old), he's our first cat so we're still learning ^_^ Like yours, very sweet and has never so much as hissed at me or scratched me. I was giving him treats from my hand and when I ran out he began to sniff my thumb. You can see where this is going. I thought "Aww he's probably going to lick my fingers!" you know, thinking like a previous dog owner XD. Nope! He thought he smelled a treat , put his mouth around my thumb, nibbled gently, then he bit down, HARD. Luckily, he didn't break the skin but he left 2 dents and boy did it hurt!

I was very upset about it at first , thinking I ruined my relationship with him or that I just taught him to bite me by associating my hand with food. Being a drama queen basically
. But after I calmed down I just told myself that he was just confused by the smell of food and that he wasn't trying to hurt me. Next time I know to use the palm of my hand or just put the treat beside him. And maybe, you know, wash my hands after so my fingers don't smell like delicious cat treats! Hope your legs feel better Tabby ^_^.

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a big, oafish 18lb orange tabby that won't let me clip his claws either. Unfortunately, he seems to believe he is a light, graceful, dainty kitty who can perch on my shoulder like a parrot. So yes, I have suffered huge bleeding scratches on my chest and back when he jumps up on me and struggles to find his footing. He is just too big and clumsy to be a parrot cat, but he refuses to come to terms with this. :D