Has she hit puberty

Mahmood the cat lover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 10 month old and still hasn’t it puberty is there something wrong she is also a bit underweight

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How much underweight? Do you let her eat as she wants? If not, do so for a few months. Most cats under the age of 1 yo need all the food they can get.

I gather, if you are asking about puberty, that she has not been spayed yet, correct? There are cats who have what they call silent heats, so you can't really tell they are even going through a heat cycle.

If she has been spayed, I am not sure what you qualify as puberty. It can take some cats as long as nearly 2 years of age to reach their full maturity, including a typical adult weight. Even then, some cats are just simply smaller than others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mahmood the cat lover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She isn’t really underweight just smaller and she hasn’t been spayed and she eats as much as she wants but I think that she just looks small because he brother is much bigger

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She isn’t really underweight just smaller and she hasn’t been spayed and she eats as much as she wants but I think that she just looks small because he brother is much bigger
Although not always the case, but more so when the cats are younger, males will tend to be bigger in size. So, she is probably OK.
Also in silent heat is there any way you can find out
I don't believe there really is anyway to tell that. But, be careful if your male cat hasn't been neutered. Brother or not, they will very likely mate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mahmood the cat lover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also they aren’t siblings we found one on the street when they was a kitten so Is it fine if they mate

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens under one year old should be fed several times a day all they want. She may be just a petite cat. Just like with small, maybe underweight humans, puberty may be delayed until she reaches a certain weight. They can come into heat as young as 4 months and can go as long as a year. 10 months old is a bit old, and you and she are lucky, but she still has several months to be normal. Be prepared for several litters a year and countless kittens to find homes for, cats are too numerous already and many starve. I had one little female that was putting out 17 kittens a year before I finally caught her, can you imagine how many I would have had when THEY started having kittens too!?