Has Claritin worked for your cats itching?

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Siamese boy is scratching and licking himself raw. Steroids did nothing. Benedryl worked but he was a zombie.

Has Claritin worked for skin allergies in your cats?

(We're going to the vet this week but its his 3rd visit and nothing has helped)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Benedryl is usually what works, and as you said, it did. since it made him a zombie, sounds like it was too much. Did you discuss giving him less? That might do the trick.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you changed food brands, opened a new bag of food, or changed litter brands recently? Sounds like he is allergic to something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you changed food brands, opened a new bag of food, or changed litter brands recently? Sounds like he is allergic to something.
Hes been on the same food since he was a year old, and hes 9 now. He doesn't like treats and is pretty picky, he only eats this one kind of food.
Hes also used unscented pine litter his whole life, which is way less dust than clay. Seems like its not his food or litter to me... but who knows! Thanks for the reply. The vet says they cant prescribe an allergy shot or any other medicine until he has a blood test and they put him under for allergy prick tests, which I really don't want to do. He doesn't react well to anesthesia.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Benedryl is usually what works, and as you said, it did. since it made him a zombie, sounds like it was too much. Did you discuss giving him less? That might do the trick.
I will ask the vet. We didnt even give him the full dose (we gave him less to see how he did). Its supposed to be 1mg per lb of body weight, every 8-12 hours. He weighs 9lbs and we gave him around 6mg. Maybe even less would work, thanks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just so you know, cats can develop allergies to their food even thought they've been eating it for years. This is something I worry about since I have one like you who likes one food and only one food. Actually, it isn't the food they develop an allergy to, but something IN the food, like chicken, or peas, or whatever. Or this could be an allergy to dust mites, or something else entirely. One flea can cause huge issues if they have an allergy to fleas, for instance. Is there a particular spot on his body where he is doing most of the licking, or is it all over. sometimes that help with trying figure out the issue. It could even be caused by a new detergent that is being used in the house, or anything new in the house.

In the meantime, I did find this thread that talks about Claritin and a couple people say it DOES help with itching! Itchy Ear Question

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Claritin certainly works for Hekitty, who takes it during the spring and early summer. HOWEVER...as with all meds, ask your vet when you go in, so that you have accurate info on dosages and such!

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, cats can develop allergies to their food even thought they've been eating it for years. This is something I worry about since I have one like you who likes one food and only one food. Actually, it isn't the food they develop an allergy to, but something IN the food, like chicken, or peas, or whatever. Or this could be an allergy to dust mites, or something else entirely. One flea can cause huge issues if they have an allergy to fleas, for instance. Is there a particular spot on his body where he is doing most of the licking, or is it all over. sometimes that help with trying figure out the issue. It could even be caused by a new detergent that is being used in the house, or anything new in the house.

In the meantime, I did find this thread that talks about Claritin and a couple people say it DOES help with itching! Itchy Ear Question
I have heard that cats can randomly develop allergies to food they've always eaten, I just really hope that isnt the case! Like your kitty he is VERY picky and will turn up his nose at everything. But I'm sure I could get him to eat something else somehow. I try and keep our house tidy (dusting, vacuuming etc) and I use the same cleaning products and laundry products I've used for years, its "sensitive and gentle".
The pollen is horrendous in our area right now, so I was thinking it must be that, not sure though. We fine tooth comb him every single day and the vet has checked him multiple times in the past 2 months and no fleas or dirt have been found, but who knows. Thanks for the reply and the ideas, I appreciate it!