Has anyone who had a cat stop eating ever had it end well?

M-train

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in my 50s, and have owned/loved cats all of my life. However, I don't think I've ever seen a cat come back to health after its stopped eating, .....ever.

My best little bud, 9 year old male Main Coon mix, has stopped eating approx two days now [the local vet was closed today]. He started vomiting up food, and yesterday it was just foam.

I bought a can of every small variety of cat food in the store today [ie beef, chicken, seafood, shrimp, etc] , including tuna, and smoke salmon, and laid a small portion out for him, and he just don't want it.

He has been an indoor only cat, and has always been in great health, but I know that cats can appear to be fine until they aren't which is usually too late.

I know its just a matter of time now, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has had one come back to health instead of passing away? Also, I can't figure out why I keep hearing of people owning cats until they are 15-20 years old as all of our cats, all indoor for the past decades, all seem to die around 7 years old [present cat being the exception].

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I have. I had a cat with IBD and his flares involved anorexia and vomiting. I went through several vets and finally found one that got him diagnosed correctly. At that point he had actually gone into fatty liver so he was on a feeding tube for about a month. He lived for another 8 1/2 years after that on a steroid with no more digestive issues. He regained his weight and had no more illnesses of any type other then dental, he had three teeth extracted.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy, who is 14, stopped eating last spring. We got him to the vet and his liver, pancreas and gallbladder were in trouble. With meds, subq fluids and hand feeding he survived and just today had zoomies throughout the house.

Would financial aid help?

Also, hand feeding is VERY important, sit with him, use a flat paper plate, a spoon, your finger with a little food for him to lick, or open his mouth and use a popsicle stick to get some food on his tongue.

Try something here (apologies for any dead links);

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure. My cat was hospitalized after not eating for a few days. She wasn’t officially my cat back then but a street cat I take care of. She was in really bad condition and the vet even suspected of a fatal disease. After a round of antibiotics, and everything else at the clinic she’s all good.

The street cats around always have some not eating periods over different reasons. They bounce back on their own sometimes. Or we take them to the vet.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. My cat had air in his colon and digestive tract. He started vomiting and refused to eat. Got him to the vet for an x-ray to rule out blockage and to get some meds and sub-q fluids. He didn't improve after bringing him home, so he went back to the vet for a couple of days, started eating and has been perfectly fine for a few years now.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be anything from depression to dental problems. Is he showing any signs of a cold which may prevent him from smelling his food?

Can you try some warm can food or kitten food?

I would be more concern about him not drinking- cats can only go three days without hydration. Can you use a syringe to squirt some water down him?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had them come back okay too. One from a mummified skull stuck in her colon and the other from a poisoning. So it does happen, but I know what you mean. I had one that didn't... and every time one of the cats won't eat - there is an alarm that goes off inside - hard.

Here is a list Furballsmom Furballsmom mom gave to me when my Charlie was refusing to eat during his food trials. Maybe something on this list (linked below) can help entice your kitty?

Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

Sending good thoughts your way for a positive Vet visit, good news and a quick recovery. :heartshape: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

XOXOO

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It could be anything from depression to dental problems.
:yeah: I completely agree - our present cat who has a voracious appetite stopped eating last year. It turned out to be a serious dental problem which we addressed immediately. I gave him meat only baby food with no gravy or seasonings. He loved it and made a full recovery.

Fingers crossed for your vet visit tomorrow, please keep us updated. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M-train

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had them come back okay too. One from a mummified skull stuck in her colon and the other from a poisoning. So it does happen, but I know what you mean. I had one that didn't... and every time one of the cats won't eat - there is an alarm that goes off inside - hard.

Here is a list Furballsmom Furballsmom mom gave to me when my Charlie was refusing to eat during his food trials. Maybe something on this list (linked below) can help entice your kitty?

Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

Sending good thoughts your way for a positive Vet visit, good news and a quick recovery. :heartshape: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

XOXOO
Thanks. The part in bolded is what is going on currently.

I've had many cats, and they all really special animals, so I've learned the warning signs over the decades. Let me find a pic of JD my cat. He is a very robust/big guy, so it was hard to see the warning signs until it was too late.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The part in bolded is what is going on currently.

I've had many cats, and they all really special animals, so I've learned the warning signs over the decades. Let me find a pic of JD my cat. He is a very robust/big guy, so it was hard to see the warning signs until it was too late.

Wow. What a beautiful boy! Thank you for sharing that.

I completely understand. It's utterly terrifying. Especially when you've experienced it and tit sounds like you have more than once. :frown:

Remember to breath though as kitty can sense that fear and stress. Then they mirror it. I can't tell you the number of times I was so worried I had to go sit outside and collect myself before coming into the kitties. Thankfully it was summer as in winter - oh yuck that would have sucked.

Look through that list and see if something sparks you to try. It's a really great list.

As jefferd18 jefferd18 suggested, be sure to keep him hydrated to as that can help them to feel good and they need it.

XOXOXOXOX

Will be thinking of you both with loads of love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M-train

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M M-train how are things going? How was the Vet visit?
Yes. Lots happened today.

I went to our vets office, and the same note was on the door, "not open today". No, "sorry closed due to sickness". So, since this was an emergency we walked about ten yards to his house, and knocked on the door. No answer though all of the cars appeared to be there.

Anyway, I felt funny bothering him at home so we didn't persist. After we got back home I was across the street talking with my neighbor inquiring as to who he used as vet, when my wife came down the driveway crying. Come to find out she called the office, and someone who was there cleaning told her our Vet had lung cancer!!!! I really don't know how he is doing, and now I'm really sad as he was a great guy, and Veterinarian. I posted on his FB page in hopes to hear more info.

So, I finally found a vet in town for which I was able to take JD there this afternoon.

Well, they only did a blood test, as that was all I could afford, BUT, it would appear that JD is in pretty good health except for his white blood cell count. The vet told me he thought it was a uninary tract infection.

The vet injected JD with antibiotics, and also some fluid. The vet said JD should start feeling better, and start to eat, and drink, and that I shouldn't have to give JD fluids through a dropper.

I'm still pessimistic, so we will see. Also prayers for my vet. { I would post his name, but I don't want to spread any rumors, or disclose anything without the family's permission].

Thanks again for all of the prayers, and support.

Here is what I thought would be the last picture of JD with his life long girl friend April.

Attachments