Has Anyone Tried This Grooming Glove?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I logged on to Instagram today (always a bad idea, but sometimes you have to interact with the modern world,) and saw a cat grooming glove being advertised in a short video. It looked something like this:
Pat Your Pet Five Finger Grooming Glove

The person petted the cat, then the hair stuck to the glove, and was easily peeled off in a sheet. Now, I'm generally highly suspicious of IG advertised products, or "as seen on tv" stuff, but I have one cat who simply doesn't like to be brushed. I've tried every kind of brush I can find with her, and she'll tolerate it for a bit, but she never gets into it / enjoys being brushed like my other cat. Her fur is very soft and fine compared to his, so I try to be very gentle. I thought maybe these gloves would be worth a shot, since she loves to get pets and is very affectionate, but then I thought maybe she wouldn't know it's my hand petting her? Just curious if anyone has tried these and if they work at all like they're advertised.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not that exact glove but very similar. I found it good on both my long and short haired cats. It peels of easily if there is plenty of fur on the glove as it binds together but not so well if only a little fur.
Here is the one I have.
20181031_135634.jpg

DustyPatches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This looks very similar to the glove I have. Coincidentally, I just made a video review on it. Both my cats are short fur but different texture. Dusty has coarse fur thus it doesn't "stick" together as well. Patches has smoother, softer fur, they "stick" better. From the video you will see that it does kinda work. Let me know if you have questions. Will answer to the best of my ability :biggrin:

DustyPatches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I helped you look a bit on amazon.
Pet Grooming Glove ( 1 pair, upgraded version)
Pet Grooming Glove ( 1 side, older version) << same one as my video. And I recommend this for you situation.

My second cat hates any sort of groom. This glove was kind of the last resort. She still hates it, but stays around much longer than using a regular brush. I need 1 hand free to hold her in place, thus a pair doesn't work for me. Save some money. I guess people can buy a pair only if they have a big animal.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli didn't like being brushed when we first got him, so I used a grooming glove like the one V verna davies posted for the first few weeks. It worked okay. He then "graduated" to a Zoom Groom. Later I added a Furminator and a wire brush. Nowadays he loves to be brushed. The glove was the perfect thing to start with.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got one for Juniper because she didn't like to be brushed with a typical brush when we first got her (she was very skittish). She was even more scared of this mitt, however, so we've gotten her used to the brush eventually.

When I did manage to use the glove a couple of times, it did seem to pick up hair nicely.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used those gloves and found it much quicker to remove the hair from the gloves with a handheld vac. (It's faster and easier to vacuum the cat too, but only one will tolerate that.) I eventually graduated to the Furminator and wire brush, same as jcat. My husband likes to use the gloves on the cats.

Jackattack0101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have this glove for my cat in addition to one of the traditional wire ones. I find that it doesn't work great on the really long haired parts like his mane and tail because it doesn't really detangle that much. However it does a great job at collecting all the loose hair after brushing him with my wire brush. It does peel off very well and even works on getting hair off some furniture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for the replies!
D DustyPatches I want to especially thank you for the video review! It was very helpful (and entertainting,) to see you brushing two different cats with it. Lucy, the cat who I am trying to brush, has hair more like your cat Patches (cotton candy machine style.) She also reacts more like Patches to brushing.
Both your cats are beautiful, by the way! Such healthy, shiny coats. I ordered the original version that you reccomended today, and I'll let you know how it goes.

jcat jcat I think I did it backwards! I started with the Furminator, then bought a slicker brush, then a ZoomGroom, and now I'm getting the mitt / glove. I might be able to work my way back up the chain, but so far she hates the other brushes. The Furminator doesn't work as well on her fine fur as it does on my other cat (and definitely not as well as the dog version,) but it seemed to take off more hair at a time than anything else. It would be nice to work back up to that if she sheds more or starts having hairballs, but so far I just want her to tolerate brushing a little more.

V verna davies thanks for showing me that other kind. I ended up getting the one with the fingers, (to scratch under the chin!) but I am looking at a larger mitt with bigger teeth for my dog now. There is a whole world of grooming mitts and gloves, apparently!

Etarre Etarre I thought Lucy might react the same way. We will see. She doesn't really like or stay still for the brush, but she isn't scared of it, so I can always go back to that. I was just trying to find a way to let her enjoy the brushing instead.

T Totsy you have a cat that will let you vaccum it!???! I don't think that would work in my case, but I'm impressed! My large Husky doesn't even really tolerate the vaccum attachment I bought for him. You must have a brave cat! I'll see about removing the hair from the glove with the vaccum, though, good tip!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The video shows cats being pulled? :( I am up to my wit's end by my shedding Ragdolls. Is there a vitamin supplement out there to help with shedding? No matter how much I brush, there is hair EVERYWHERE!

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought one of these. My cats hated it, gave it to my mother in law and the dog can't get enough.

DustyPatches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The video shows cats being pulled?
the pull was actually quite gentle. It was more of lifting and holding onto her until she get tired and let go. Don't wanna hurt her claws or, topple the entire cat condo, which she is capable of :lol:

but I appreciate the concern there :)

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My cats love their grooming glove. I like that I can contour it around their bodies to get places a normal brush can't easily. Once I get a good amount of hair on it, the hair just peels off easily.