Has anyone tried SmartCat All Natural Cat Litter?

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why you go thru so much. I have 5 cats and four jumbo boxes and 20# lasts well over a month. Maybe your scoop? I use the long straight one and excess, unused, just falls back in. Plus what gets tracked out gets vac'd up and dumped back in.
I have 3 large boxes. The scoop I use sounds like yours. A month would be amazing. I also installed a water fountain and the cats play in it and drink more water (yay!) but then pee more too. That might be it.

stellar981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is old, and this is a long shot.. But has anyone on here had a cat that eats the SmartCat litter? I just started using it, and my cat is now sick. Probably completely unrelated, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. Thanks!

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is old, and this is a long shot.. But has anyone on here had a cat that eats the SmartCat litter? I just started using it, and my cat is now sick. Probably completely unrelated, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. Thanks!
My cats ate it as well, so I started mixing it with their Dr elseys little by little and now they've stopped. What symptoms is your cat showing, vomiting or diarrhea? If they eat a ton of it I suppose it could cause problems, I guess it just depends on how much they have eaten

stellar981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats ate it as well, so I started mixing it with their Dr elseys little by little and now they've stopped. What symptoms is your cat showing, vomiting or diarrhea? If they eat a ton of it I suppose it could cause problems, I guess it just depends on how much they have eaten
I honestly don't even know if she ate any. But it was the only change in the last 45 days. She is severely anemic suddenly (at least I didn't know until this week). Prior to finding out I switched back to clay because she peed outside the box. Wasn't sure if it was because of the litter. But since then now she is eating the (full of chemicals) clay litter because of her anemia - which really scares me. So I want to change back. But I just hope the SmartCat litter wasn't the culprit. I emailed the company to see what chemicals they use. It says chemical free, but how else would they "formulate" it. Either way I doubt it's the problem. But I wanted to ask anyway.

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a dog come down with sudden anemia, and it turned out to be his kidneys. Has your kitty been tested for Felv? I definitely wouldn't let her eat the clay. I know anemia can be caused by viruses, FIV, immune disorders ect.mild cases can be easier to reverse. I had another dog with hemolytic anemia and he was put on Prednisone for a short time which helped his levels go back to normal. Have you had any blood work done on her, is that how you found out? What does your vet say? Unless she ate a bunch of the litter and it caused severe inflammation in the intestines (which also can cause anemia) Id be more likely to think it was something else causing it .

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten (6 weeks old at the time) tried to eat the SmartCat litter, but I caught it right away and took away the box and replaced with nonclumping litter. Now that she's closer to 9 weeks, she stopped eating the litter and has used the SmartCat once or twice. She definitely prefers Dr. Elsey's precious cat though.

I'd also be skeptical that eating the litter caused her anemia. How old is your cat?