Has anyone tried slow feeder bowl inserts?

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone. I have a kitten who has a tendency to eat too fast and gorge herself, which unfortunately means that she throws up from time to time. I was looking into slow feeder bowl inserts for her and was wondering if anyone had tried something like that, and if they worked well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Although this doesn't directly address your question, this is a different approach to the problem of too fast eaters from one of our members, although you baby may end up stepping into it until she gets the hang of it;

Try spreading canned/wet food onto a dinner plate (think putting butter or peanut butter on bread). That way kitty has to lick the food rather than gulp it. Works best for paté style foods. Tip offered by @Columbine

Another idea I've seen people use is one or two clean pingpong balls or fishing bobbers, or even aluminum foil crushed up into a ball or two and then discarded after the meal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Although this doesn't directly address your question, this is a different approach to the problem of too fast eaters from one of our members, although you baby may end up stepping into it until she gets the hang of it;

Try spreading canned/wet food onto a dinner plate (think putting butter or peanut butter on bread). That way kitty has to lick the food rather than gulp it. Works best for paté style foods. Tip offered by @Columbine

Another idea I've seen people use is one or two clean pingpong balls or fishing bobbers, or even aluminum foil crushed up into a ball or two and then discarded after the meal.
Thanks! I'd like to find a washable insert, but the foil suggestion will definitely work until I can do so.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some kittens may try to play with and / or eat balls of foil so supervise the kitten while she is eating. If playing / eating the foil is a problem, use clean ping pong balls or golf balls or anything hard and too big to fit into the kitten's mouth.

Do you leave food out for the kitten to snack on if she gets hungry? If you only do scheduled meals, she may be getting too hungry in between meals and therefore inhaling the food quickly which upsets the tummy.

Elevating the bowl may help. Crouching to eat from a bowl on the floor can't be comfortable and food just might not go down easily. Think you trying to eat a sandwich while standing but bent all the way at the waist. An upside down shoe box, a stack of books, etc can be used to elevate bowls.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kittens may try to play with and / or eat balls of foil so supervise the kitten while she is eating. If playing / eating the foil is a problem, use clean ping pong balls or golf balls or anything hard and too big to fit into the kitten's mouth.

Do you leave food out for the kitten to snack on if she gets hungry? If you only do scheduled meals, she may be getting too hungry in between meals and therefore inhaling the food quickly which upsets the tummy.

Elevating the bowl may help. Crouching to eat from a bowl on the floor can't be comfortable and food just might not go down easily. Think you trying to eat a sandwich while standing but bent all the way at the waist. An upside down shoe box, a stack of books, etc can be used to elevate bowls.
She does always have access to food. The issue usually presents itself if she runs out. I'll definitely look into putting something into her bowl to slow her down.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a puzzle feeder for a few kitties. worked great !
I'd love to get a puzzle feeder for my girls. Unfortunately, most of them are plastic and one of my cats is allergic. Do you know of any plastic free puzzle feeders I can get for them?