Has anyone tried slippery elm bark for their cat?

sallyfry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used slippery elm for a long time, with a cat who was prone to constipation/obstipation. I make a syrup with 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon slippery elm powder, boiling it until it thickens. When it cools I can pour a tablespoon or two over his wet food and he laps it up. He also takes 1/4 teaspoon Miralax daily. He's coming up on 20 years, so obviously neither of these has hurt him.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also use slippery elm bark for our cat with presumptive IBD. I first bought it for her on a day when she just wouldn't eat but the vet was all booked up. She ate her first snack with SEB syrup and then ate a regular meal, too. A year and a half later, she still eats small SEB appetizers a few times a day (it helps prevent from regurgitatinga) as well as in a supplement that has SEB, other herbs, and probiotics. The combination has helped her gut incredibly after stomach surgery last summer and the vet thinks the SEB may have helped slow recurrence of stomatitis. SEB is a wonderful against inflammation and I made tea with it for myself recently when I had an upset stomach. Not my favorite tea but it really soothed my stomach!