Has anyone seen this? Kitten hind legs problem

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My aunt has a 6 week old flame point rescue kitten that holds his hind legs up occasionally while maneuvering in a circle then plants himself. He tends to stay in a sitting position more than his siblings. He’s also smaller and skinnier but we believe it’s because he is the runt and not related to his hind legs issues.

We don’t know think it’s a leg injury because he does it with both legs and he only is maneuvering like this 50% of the time. The other 50% he seems to be walking and engaging normally albeit he’s a bit less playful and active then his siblings.

We’ve thought maybe swimmer’s but if it is it’s really mild.

My aunt may be taking him to a vet soon… unfortunately he’s not my cat so I can’t make the call on this and tell her what to do. But until then, can anyone offer insight on what could be going on?

If someone tells me how to upload a video I can show you guys.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Upload your video to You Tube, then post the link here. As stated, it could be a number of different possible issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Here ^^ I know this looks like an injury but he’s doing it with both legs. Obviously this could have many different causes but has anyone seen this before?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does not appear to be swimmer. It looks like he has an injury or condition that is painful, causing him to move gingerly.

Since he is only 6 weeks old, there is a good chance that whatever it is can be rectified more easily while he is this young.

Do get him to a vet ASAP so they can do an x-ray to see if there is a fracture or dislocation. He may have been injured during the birthing process or it may be a soft tissue injury in his lower vertebrae or hips that has occurred since.

If so, it may need to be set, or he may need a cast and meds to help him heal. At the very least, if nothing shows up and it’s soft tissue, the vet can give a cortisone shot or anti-inflammatory meds that will give him relief while it heals.

How long have you noticed this?

mehyabbers mehyabbers