Has Anyone Seen This In Canned Cat Food And Is It Safe?

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a picture of some canned cat food I purchased the other day. The picture is of the same type of food purchased from different locations. As you can see the weird hole in the middle of one of the cans. This has happened to me on numerous occasions and numerous brands? Has anyone ever seen this and know why it happens or if it's safe to feed my cats food when this happens? Thanks everyone!!!

Attachments

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a can of food like that before. I've read that cat food is heated IN the can so I figured it was probably just something like how food splatters in the microwave... It probably exploded from the heat, leaving a hole in the center. I fed it to my cat without issue.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd agree that it looks alright to feed to your cat. As long as the can wasn't bulging, which could be a sign of anaerobic bacteria like C. botulinum, then I'd assume it's just a result of how it was canned/handled. If you're very concerned, contact the company who manufactures it, and send them the photos. I've done this in the past and received coupons for my feedback. Quality departments are always working to provide a better, more consistent, experience for customers!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the machine that puts food into the can has a nozzle like thing that squirts the food in. When the nozzle stops and / or lifts up and away from the can, a hole may be left behind. I've had cans of food with small holes in the middle before. It's a non-issue IMO. I would be more concerned with non-edible foreign objects in the food than a hole.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What brand was this? I've had this happen with Merrick Limited cans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracy1213

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies....made me feel a lot better hearing everyone's comments. I did contact the company and they are "looking into it" This particular food is canidae witty kitty. The company did mention that the food is actually cooked once it's in the can which is something I've never heard of before but Miss Molly did mention in the first post. I will post their response when I get it in case anyone wants to hear what they have to say. I've had this happen with solid gold cans as well. The reason I was concerned was awhile ago this happened after ordering a case of food from Petco and almost the whole case had the issue. They said it could be an air pocket which could be a sign of bacteria or possible contamination. It scared me when they said that but they didn't even bother to look at my picture so I assume they might have been thinking of something else.
Again, thanks everyone for the response!!!! Much appreciated!!!! =)