Has Anyone Paid For The Truth About Pet Food's Best Cat Food?

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I know the folks at The Truth About Pet Food are very stringent in what are acceptable ingredients in cat food (no sodium selenite, copper sulfate, etc.) so I was wondering what would actually make their best cat food list. I'm also skeptical that the cost won't be worth it so I'm wondering if anyone here ever bought it and found it useful.

Thanks,

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t bought it but I also refuse to believe that the website isn’t sponsored by some pet food companies and that the list won’t be biased at all. While I applaud what they are doing with the website, it is still a business, and a business needs to make money somehow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I hear you. That's the same reason why I'm skeptical about The Conscious Cat. She's done some reviews that read like an advertisement.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have purchased Susan's list the last two years and have found it helpful. While most are smaller companies, some of the foods are higher in carbs than what I'm comfortable feeding my cats.

That being said, TAPF is not a business, Susan is a pet food consumer advocate working on behalf of us, pet owners. There is very little oversight and enforcement of FDA regulations in pet food, or rather, pet "feed" as defined by the FDA.

The FDA routinely ignores current federal laws regarding pet food thus allowing companies to get away with whatever.

Her list does not consist of companies she's doing business with, but rather, they are companies that have been vetted, providing actual documentation that they meet AAFCO standards to be considered human grade, e.g., all ingredients including supplements must be human edible; ingredients must be transported and warehoused -- when applicable, under refrigeration; food must be consistently tested for safety, among other requirements.

Raw products, while they meet AAFCO's criteria for human grade, cannot be labeled human grade (because humans don't consume raw meat).

Just because a company isn't on her list does not necessarily mean the ingredients are not human grade; they may not have met all of AAFCO's requirements or --- some companies didn't meet any requirements or simply did not respond.

Pet food / feed companies can say whatever they want on their web site, that they are human grade when they are not -- no enforcement, however, on labels / bags, there is some enforcement if declaring human grade, therefore harder for companies to lie.

I have the utmost respect for Susan Thixton and her tireless dedication on behalf of our furry friends. Susan hasn't taken on the behemoth FDA so she can promote expensive products -- she does this work because she genuinely believes, as well as those of us who support her tenacity and efforts, that ALL pets deserve safe food, regardless of someone's budget.

Food, not feed, for our pets.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have purchased Susan's list the last two years and have found it helpful. While most are smaller companies, some of the foods are higher in carbs than what I'm comfortable feeding my cats.

That being said, TAPF is not a business, Susan is a pet food consumer advocate working on behalf of us, pet owners. There is very little oversight and enforcement of FDA regulations in pet food, or rather, pet "feed" as defined by the FDA.

The FDA routinely ignores current federal laws regarding pet food thus allowing companies to get away with whatever.

Her list does not consist of companies she's doing business with, but rather, they are companies that have been vetted, providing actual documentation that they meet AAFCO standards to be considered human grade, e.g., all ingredients including supplements must be human edible; ingredients must be transported and warehoused -- when applicable, under refrigeration; food must be consistently tested for safety, among other requirements.

Raw products, while they meet AAFCO's criteria for human grade, cannot be labeled human grade (because humans don't consume raw meat).

Just because a company isn't on her list does not necessarily mean the ingredients are not human grade; they may not have met all of AAFCO's requirements or --- some companies didn't meet any requirements or simply did not respond.

Pet food / feed companies can say whatever they want on their web site, that they are human grade when they are not -- no enforcement, however, on labels / bags, there is some enforcement if declaring human grade, therefore harder for companies to lie.

I have the utmost respect for Susan Thixton and her tireless dedication on behalf of our furry friends. Susan hasn't taken on the behemoth FDA so she can promote expensive products -- she does this work because she genuinely believes, as well as those of us who support her tenacity and efforts, that ALL pets deserve safe food, regardless of someone's budget.

Food, not feed, for our pets.
Thanks for the information. I really like Susan's website and I use it often. I also really respect what she does. Do you know why she charges money for her list though?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that information Lisamarie. I may not purchase it if most of the foods are high in carbs but good to know she's not part of the machine.

cifelliac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information. I really like Susan's website and I use it often. I also really respect what she does. Do you know why she charges money for her list though?
I've been using it for almost a year and really love it. I have one cat that no matter what I do will not eat anything but dry food so I use it a lot to look at ingredients, pro's, con's etc.